Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I agree that Crash was really good, but I don't remember anything about race, I thought it was just people loving in car accidents?

No no no, you're thinking of UP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Baxter posted:

I too find this especially troubling.

You might even say, "problematic".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great moments in Oscar history:
Academy Award Nominee Norbit

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
meanwhile the avclub is crying over the lego movie not getting nominated for best animated feature CURSE YOU BIG HERO 6

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Grand Budapest Hotel owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the Academy obviously defeated racism last year by giving Best Picture to 12 Years a Slave, the OP is just being alarmist

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Blatant racism in fake award show!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasn't Will Smith one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood at one point

uhhh yeah racism

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

uhhh yeah racism

lol if you consider will smith black

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

City of Tampa posted:

~our heroes fight for our freedoms every day~

(and then they make up ridiculous unbelievable lies about it)

I kinda want to watch it just to see if there is a Jesse Ventura scene in it, but I'm not giving these people any of my money for this nonsense.

fake edit: lol I guess he also had a fake story about killing two guys in Texas that were trying to steal his truck, and a story about sniping people from the roof of the Superdome during hurricane Katrina.

Yeah let's make a movie about this how wonderful this guy was, he's not a lunatic or anything.

Lmaoooooo I was actually at hurricane Katrina while I was in the army please link me this

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im black

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
oh shi

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

uhhh yeah racism

This is Hollywood's, "I have a black friend, so I'm not racist," argument

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

As someone who has watched all 87 best picture films I was hoping Josh Brolin as Thanos was nominated for one of the acting categories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrBCpeIdfU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

wayne brady joke

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

at what point will we trust ourselves when an all-white oscars has been selected

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Sometimes I wonder if Americans forget that there are ... a lot ... of white people in America.

Sometimes I find myself in a store, restaurant, etc and... it is filled with only white people. It's not because the store hates diversity. It's because there are a lot of white people buying bread or whatever that day.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

snodig posted:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Are you triggered yet?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/whitest-oscars_n_6466052.html

Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and other white people kindly welcome you to the whitest Oscars since 1998. Yes, unfortunately, you read that right: Without a nod for David Oyelowo announced this morning (see white person Brad Pitt for help on that pronunciation) 2015 will be the worst year for diversity in Hollywood since the 70th annual ceremony.

This is especially troubling when you consider that last year's Oscars was a banner year with a Best Supporting Actress award for Lupita Nyong'o (and Steve McQueen taking home the Best Picture title). "Selma" is nominated in that category, so we may have a victory for Ava DuVernay, though that single nod hardly counts as redemption here. As Chris Rock can tell you, there are still far too few people of color in the industry, but at least one non-white person has been nominated each year in the four acting categories since the last whitest Oscars ever nearly two decades ago.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that we have a long way to go before we can truly talk about progress being made. Also: this sucks.

What films this year would you have liked to see on that list?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
only thing I care about is Virunga winning best doc

welp that's all I got

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Since Will Smith isn't black anymore, where do you suggest we recruit some REALLY REAL black actors?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

John Dough posted:

Grand Budapest Hotel owns
i agree, its my pick for best picture but it's also literally the only best picture nominee i've seen

"birdman" is the only other one i even want to see

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i want the 45 minutes i spent watching Bottle Rocket back. i hate Wes Anderson

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

white pride world wide

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

RaceBannon posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Americans forget that there are ... a lot ... of white people in America.

Sometimes I find myself in a store, restaurant, etc and... it is filled with only white people. It's not because the store hates diversity. It's because there are a lot of white people buying bread or whatever that day.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

RaceBannon posted:

it must suck to live in the midwest

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
there were no good movies this year

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
White guilt is going to make a bunch of whiny hipster bloggers go see this movie to atone for slavery and then they can all circle jerk over each others blogs about how much more diverse they are.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

White guilt is going to make a bunch of whiny hipster bloggers go see this movie to atone for slavery and then they can all circle jerk over each others blogs about how much more diverse they are.

You'd think nothing could be more hipster than reviving racism. But noooooo!

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
idk maybe non-whites just should've made better movies? arguing that hollywood is racist is not really a convincing argument, imho

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

snodig posted:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Are you triggered yet?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/whitest-oscars_n_6466052.html

Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and other white people kindly welcome you to the whitest Oscars since 1998. Yes, unfortunately, you read that right: Without a nod for David Oyelowo announced this morning (see white person Brad Pitt for help on that pronunciation) 2015 will be the worst year for diversity in Hollywood since the 70th annual ceremony.

This is especially troubling when you consider that last year's Oscars was a banner year with a Best Supporting Actress award for Lupita Nyong'o (and Steve McQueen taking home the Best Picture title). "Selma" is nominated in that category, so we may have a victory for Ava DuVernay, though that single nod hardly counts as redemption here. As Chris Rock can tell you, there are still far too few people of color in the industry, but at least one non-white person has been nominated each year in the four acting categories since the last whitest Oscars ever nearly two decades ago.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that we have a long way to go before we can truly talk about progress being made. Also: this sucks.

thanks for the latest twitterbuzz

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

idk maybe non-whites just should've made better movies? arguing that hollywood is racist is not really a convincing argument, imho

Academy Award winner Tyler Perry

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

it must suck to live in the midwest

Because shopping next to [insert ethnicity] is better than shopping next to [insert other ethnicity]? I am confused.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I think the results was influenced by the ghost of LBJ, who wasn't going to stand to have his legacy tarnished.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...9a58_story.html

From the article:
"In fact, Selma was LBJ’s idea, he considered the Voting Rights Act his greatest legislative achievement, he viewed King as an essential partner in getting it enacted — and he didn’t use the FBI to disparage him. "

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RaceBannon posted:

Because shopping next to [insert ethnicity] is better than shopping next to [insert other ethnicity]? I am confused.

no, because other cultures are cool and unless you live in Chicago/Minneapolis/KC the only food you will be getting is the blandest poo poo imaginable

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Award shows don't matter and nobody cares about them anymore

-spends the next month arguing about award show nominations-

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the real crime here is that sappy biographical period pieces still get made, and still get nominated for awards

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
HOW TROUBLING, THE BEST MOVIES AND ACTORS AND poo poo WERE FROM WHITES, WHAT A HORRIBLE THING

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

idk maybe non-whites just should've made better movies?

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

HOW TROUBLING, THE BEST MOVIES AND ACTORS AND poo poo WERE FROM WHITES, WHAT A HORRIBLE THING

Why are there no white nominees for the BET Awards THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
agreed, they should rename the Oscars the "White Entertainment Awards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If all those movies about slavery won Oscars out of white guilt, does that mean Eminem won BET awards out of black guilt?

• Locked thread