Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
dont many movies make the bulk of their money overseas now

chinese arent really known for loving blacks so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

so is the idea that the oscars gave awards and nominations to all these minorities in the past but in 2015 they went "i think we're in the clear now, we can stop doing it"

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

420DD Butts posted:

i grew up in the midwest, so unless iowa is somehow a lot different from kansas, nebraska, indiana, etc. you're full of poo poo

So you're saying you have to be a certain color or have a specific cultural identity to make food? and he says i'm the crazy one haha

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ramsus posted:

So you're saying you have to be a certain color or have a specific cultural identity to make food? and he says i'm the crazy one haha

no, but actually having some experience with a culture probably helps to make food emblematic of that culture, so places with 90+% white midwesterners probably aren't the best to get good asian, latin, middle eastern, or african food

but no you're right, there's great chinese all over rural midwestern cities

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 17, 2015

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
rural cities

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

towns whatever who gives af

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i think backwater shitholes is the technical term

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Lol if it's 2015 and you don't live in a city. Bitch have you ever had naan?

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Remember when Ben Affleck got an Oscar for casting himself as a real guy named Mendez? Good times.

Seriously, gently caress Ben Affleck.

remember when the real guy named Mendez was cool with it?

lol

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Relin posted:

dont many movies make the bulk of their money overseas now

chinese arent really known for loving blacks so

iirc this reasoning was used unironically in those leaked sony internal emails as an argument for why they shouldn't make idris elba the next Bond (apparently Bond films make a bit of money in China)

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Torka posted:

iirc this reasoning was used unironically in those leaked sony internal emails as an argument for why they shouldn't make idris elba the next Bond (apparently Bond films make a bit of money in China)

businesses use real talk internally when talking about ways to make the most money

shocking

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

am0kgonzo posted:

businesses use real talk internally when talking about ways to make the most money

shocking

I thought it was an interesting aside to what the guy posted, I'm not clutching my pearls

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Torka posted:

I thought it was an interesting aside to what the guy posted, I'm not clutching my pearls

okay

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Torka posted:

Those same email leaks showed that sony pictures' leadership is incredibly racist so

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

nnnotime posted:

I think the results was influenced by the ghost of LBJ, who wasn't going to stand to have his legacy tarnished.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...9a58_story.html

From the article:
"In fact, Selma was LBJ’s idea, he considered the Voting Rights Act his greatest legislative achievement, he viewed King as an essential partner in getting it enacted — and he didn’t use the FBI to disparage him. "

The director of a movie based on a highly-documented point in history posted:

I think everyone sees history through their own lens, and I don't begrudge anyone from wanting to see what they want to see. This is what I see. This is what we see. And that should be valid.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

that director should get a nomination for being a giant loving retard imho

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Ava DuVernay posted:

I think everyone sees history through their own lens, and I don't begrudge anyone from wanting to see what they want to see. This is what I see. This is what we see. And that should be valid.
That's a good point being raised. It turns out DuVernay interjected a lot of material into the screenplay, even to the point of writing her own version of MLK's speeches, per this article:

http://www.thewrap.com/selma-screenplay-controversy-why-director-ava-duvernay-was-denied-credit/

quote:

Because “Selma” is historically accurate, many have assumed that Oyelowo delivers MLK’s actual speeches, but the King estate didn’t give the filmmakers license to use them.

That forced DuVernay to write her own speeches for MLK, and an individual familiar with her contribution to the writing process tells TheWrap that the director performed “a page-one rewrite” on Webb’s original screenplay, changing the perspective of the story, adding nearly a dozen new characters and coming up with a new third act — the most crucial part of any script.

“This is a film by Ava DuVernay. The final film reflects her vision,” one of the primary parties behind “Selma” told TheWrap.
So if anyone is a big fan of DuVernay's own personal interpretations of the history of MLK, this is a must-see film.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

nnnotime posted:

That's a good point being raised. It turns out DuVernay interjected a lot of material into the screenplay, even to the point of writing her own version of MLK's speeches, per this article:

http://www.thewrap.com/selma-screenplay-controversy-why-director-ava-duvernay-was-denied-credit/

So if anyone is a big fan of DuVernay's own personal interpretations of the history of MLK, this is a must-see film.

An interesting thing about Selma is that they couldn't use the actual speeches since Spielberg bought the rights.

Spessman
Feb 1, 2013
But really, Who cares though?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fog Tripper posted:

Also, lol al sharpton yet again.
He's looking to get paid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Frog Act posted:

i honestly Don't Care how many black people win an oscar this year

I don't care who wins an oscar any year

If you need something to get outraged about re: racial inequality there are so many other things you could find that actually loving matter

Arian_Samurai posted:

An interesting thing about Selma is that they couldn't use the actual speeches since Spielberg bought the rights.

What? Is this really a thing that can happen?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
if i have to hear about naan one more loving time

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
When I was a kid I'd get excited to watch the Ocars because it seemed like it was a big deal historic thing.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
also according to some article from the atlantic the reason selma didn't get nominated for more awards was because the studio didn't send out screeners to the voters

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

a retard posted:

also according to some article from the atlantic the reason selma didn't get nominated for more awards was because the studio didn't send out screeners to the voters

didn't you read chris rock talking somewhere sometime? he said hollywood is a white industry!*

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

Blacks are always late for everything

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Also Selma sucks but it had a good soundtrack I guess. Lol that the director made up all the speeches, I had no idea about that. Kind of makes it a real piece of poo poo movie then.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

The only good movies this year were The Babadook, Neighbors, and Nightcrawler.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

What? Is this really a thing that can happen?

In this case yes. Kings speeches are not actually in the public domain, and are owned by his estate and I think EMI or Sony.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i've heard selma isn't a very good movie.

like the actors were chosen due to their resemblance to the real people. and it's kind of stiff and forced. like a patriotic theme park ride where wax dummies give speeches about the greatness of america.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arian_Samurai posted:

In this case yes. Kings speeches are not actually in the public domain, and are owned by his estate and I think EMI or Sony.

MLK's estate was pimping all his unreleased material years before Michael Jackson's family started doing it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Arian_Samurai posted:

EugeneJ posted:

MLK's estate was pimping all his unreleased material years before Michael Jackson's family started doing it

lmao this rules I had no idea this was a thing

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol that a movie about a good person = a good movie. i'm gonna go shoot a movie about gandhi on my phone see you at the golden globes :frogc00l:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

sexy young infidel posted:

if i have to hear about naan one more loving time

Naan's birthday is coming up. I know she has the Alzheimer's, but it would be nice if you sent her a card.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
The Lego Movie didn't get a nomination.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
i hope batman wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Code Jockey posted:

lmao this rules I had no idea this was a thing

Civil rights legends and their estates tend to be litigious, money-grabbing whores. Not saying it's a race thing, but it's a well-known fact.

• Locked thread