Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I think the results was influenced by the ghost of LBJ, who wasn't going to stand to have his legacy tarnished.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...9a58_story.html

From the article:
"In fact, Selma was LBJ’s idea, he considered the Voting Rights Act his greatest legislative achievement, he viewed King as an essential partner in getting it enacted — and he didn’t use the FBI to disparage him. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Ava DuVernay posted:

I think everyone sees history through their own lens, and I don't begrudge anyone from wanting to see what they want to see. This is what I see. This is what we see. And that should be valid.
That's a good point being raised. It turns out DuVernay interjected a lot of material into the screenplay, even to the point of writing her own version of MLK's speeches, per this article:

http://www.thewrap.com/selma-screenplay-controversy-why-director-ava-duvernay-was-denied-credit/

quote:

Because “Selma” is historically accurate, many have assumed that Oyelowo delivers MLK’s actual speeches, but the King estate didn’t give the filmmakers license to use them.

That forced DuVernay to write her own speeches for MLK, and an individual familiar with her contribution to the writing process tells TheWrap that the director performed “a page-one rewrite” on Webb’s original screenplay, changing the perspective of the story, adding nearly a dozen new characters and coming up with a new third act — the most crucial part of any script.

“This is a film by Ava DuVernay. The final film reflects her vision,” one of the primary parties behind “Selma” told TheWrap.
So if anyone is a big fan of DuVernay's own personal interpretations of the history of MLK, this is a must-see film.

• Locked thread