Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm thinking of trying to go this year since the last one I attended was around 1985 or so. Holy poo poo it looks loving complicated as hell nowadays.

My dad went with me one year to meet his childhood comic hero, Carl Barks. It was really fun :3

SDCC is absolutely not what you remember-- hell, it's not even what I remember from the mid-late 2000s. It's turned into an enormous weekend pop culture block party and the crowds are absolutely nuts. It's an absolute hell of a time in wonderful and terrible ways, and there are still the very very intimate and world-shattering moments with your favorite artists, but they are fewer and farther between and you may have to hunt a bit for them. I wouldn't dream of not going, and it is a total blast that I would happily recommend to anybody, but you should be super wary about what you're getting into being different than Ye Olde Days for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

What happens with all the cancellations from multiple people in one party trying for hotels? Is there a second run of them a few months later? I've never needed one last minute so I don't know how that scramble works.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Had Marriott Marquis as first choice. Got an email at 4:21 saying "You were booked into this hotel because you chose 'Book me into any downtown hotel.' when asked what we should do if none of your 6 choices were available."

Scrolled down. Ended up being Marriott Marquis. Room wasn't upgraded or anything.

I ain't even mad. Just confused.

It looks like this was a weird canned part of every email, I got it too despite booking my first choice and my cousin got The Dana at Mission Bay and also had the "You chose book me into any downtown hotel" line. Mission Bay being downtown and all.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I really enjoy Wondercon. I know norCal wants it back, especially now that we have Comikaze (which I have yet to make) but it's a really nice cozy con in comparison to SDCC. Breathing room, moving room, being able to hang out with my buddies at their booths without being stepped on, Richard Hatch wanting $40 for an autograph and a picture, it's chill.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I used to stay in La Jolla every year, drive out to one of the trolley stops (now Qualcomm Stadium - parking is free) every morning, and be at the con all day. A weekend pass for the trolley is like fifteen bones and you won't have any trouble getting on at Qualcomm.

It's really not so bad at all and makes for a nice wind up/down ritual, unless not drinking yourself stupid every night will ruin your con experience.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

If I'm reading that right, it actually sounds pretty neat. A lot of things I see hyped up at SDCC I never hear of again, having a subscription service like Netflix or whatever where all the stuff I was excited about and then forgot about as soon as I got home and took a nap on Sunday night would be super cool and I'd watch a lot more movies.

If it's literally just about SDCC and poo poo 365 days a year then :psyduck: Blizzcon offers net streaming of their panels during and shortly after every con which is well enough. I would be in full support of that, but the whole year???

Jarnet fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2015

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Hall H does still give out re-entry tickets though. They won't be checking for wristbands on top of them, I'm pretty sure. They have claimed to get more fussy about who they give them out to since there are bathrooms in the hall, but last year when we needed fresh air halfway through the day we were straight about it and they gave them to us no problem.

Trading passes like that feels like a really lovely thing to do, though, at least to me. Other people waiting in line for the thing they care about didn't get to sit through panels in the meantime to skip back and forth between rooms.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

The Marriott is expanding their ballroom space over the next couple of years too, according to the signs and construction up around the hotel. Even if the con center itself doesn't expand it's pretty cool that the surrounding area seems to be putting in a lot of effort. I'm hoping everybody else follows suit :3:

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

A few years ago they said "Hey, we're going to need you to start keeping your badges for the prereg code. We're going to give you a pass this year so that it's not being sprung on you, but please take note that you will have to keep your badges for the prereg code from now on."

Two years ago before and after the con they sent out like three or four emails saying "KEEP YOUR loving BADGES"

Last year they said "Hey, remember that thing we said last year? Did you do it?" and a whole bunch of people didn't and got wildly upset. So no, not new.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Jesus Christing gently caress! Did any of you guys stay at the Embassy Suites downtown last year? Do they seriously charge $42 for guest parking every night on top of the Comic Con rate!!?

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I stay in San Diego a lot due to family and friends and stuff and I've never seen one over $20 much less valet only, I'm sure that's much to do with it. That's completely insane :psyduck: The Marriott gaslamp is $40 now too, it definitely wasn't when I stayed there a couple years back.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't think the hotels even let you book that weekend. A family member used to have an outstanding reservation at a hotel in La Jolla every weekend and they refused to let him book for SDCC weekend YEARS ago, that far from downtown, over six months in advance. SDCC and TravelPlanners seem to have it pretty much on lockdown.

All in all, a fun con. Eddie James Olmos put his arm around me and I :allears:

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

If your friend was a professional I'm not sure that it counts for prereg purposes. I've said no thank you to my pro friends in the past so that I could be in the system as "this member id went to comic con" for the next year's prereg. You can email and ask but I'm guessing that's your issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

That's insanely cool. I would really love to do that but SDCC is honestly physically and mentally exhausting enough without tacking on a second vacation in front of it. Somebody please go and report back with pictures of Yoda Yoga so I can live vicariously tia.

• Locked thread