Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Totally loving ready to do some puzzles and be a robot. Anyone else got this game yet? The public test thing was pretty fun so i've got high hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The game crashes every time I try to change the resolution so I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Is this game any good. I want to buy it when it goes on sale.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

It's fun if you like puzzles and philosophy.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The environments are also really pretty.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Silver Striker posted:

theres a free demo/trial on steam that i downloaded and am going to play later today

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

It's a good puzzle game and has tetris blocks in it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

lesbian baphomet posted:

Hell yeah. Thanks.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i've played for four hours straight and my head hurts, this is a good god drat game

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

koolkal posted:

theres a free demo/trial on steam that i downloaded and am going to play later today

beat the public test and it seemed pretty solid

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

lesbian baphomet posted:

People said the same thing about Fez.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the difference is that I Dont Give a poo poo About Fez

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bobby The Rookie posted:

People said the same thing about Fez.

fez wasn't really pretty and didn't have any philosophy stuff that I am aware of

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Philosophy is one of my favorite things to have bolted onto a video game, I'll check it out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah honestly the philosophy part is making me want to never buy this game. alpha centauri is basically ruined by all the high school philosophy debate tacked on to it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

philosophy is cool y'all nerds need to open your minds

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Okay upper middle class surburban boy. The real people will be blasting fools in real games like Quake, and you can learn about Philosophy in your lame rear end puzzle game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The conversations you have with the computer terminal are pretty interesting and the puzzles are good. peace

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Philosophy can be cool, but a lot of the people who like it aren't. It's usually very poorly done in video games as well. Honestly, I'd just prefer the video game to kick rear end rather than have philosophy in it. Farewell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah this game is so far up its own rear end it is sniffing the rotting remains last night's dinner

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

Philosophy can be cool, but a lot of the people who like it aren't. It's usually very poorly done in video games as well. Honestly, I'd just prefer the video game to kick rear end rather than have philosophy in it. Farewell.

I don't feel like the way they handled it was too bad in Talos Principle and you can pretty much ignore it if you want to.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't feel like the way they handled it was too bad in Talos Principle and you can pretty much ignore it if you want to.

That's good. I just don't like when it's kind of crammed down your throat because when they do that it's invariably really bad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i played the public test and i like the cryengine but everything is cryptic and "deep"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

That's good. I just don't like when it's kind of crammed down your throat because when they do that it's invariably really bad.

Thinking about it, I guess some of it kinda is. A lot of it is in logs you can ignore though.

I haven't gotten super far yet and currently am stuck due to it crashing when I try to change the resolution.

Like I said, I like philosophy and thinking about the poo poo so I probably don't have the same definition of "crammed down your throat" as you do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll wait for the PS4 release. Ill be sure to bump this thread in 2 - 4months when it comes out

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wtf is this talos is not a god

reported to thalmor :gas:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Strategic Tea posted:

wtf is this talos is not a god

reported to thalmor :gas:

stormcloaks repreSENT

I think that the philosophy bits are pretty alright, because the game is designed to get you thinking in the first place, and the guy actually laughs at you if you put in some contradictory poo poo instead of just going "woah, far out man..." Pretty cool imo

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Got through the first world and half of the second. Good stuff so far.

The philosophy veneer so far feels like phil of mind and consciousness 101 and "Have you heard of the musician called Socrates? Probably not he's pretty obscure."

I mean it's vaguely done right I guess but someone call me when they start discussing whether qualia actually exist or not or something more interesting.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kylra posted:

The philosophy veneer so far feels like phil of mind and consciousness 101 and "Have you heard of the musician called Socrates? Probably not he's pretty obscure."

I mean it's vaguely done right I guess but someone call me when they start discussing whether qualia actually exist or not or something more interesting.

Actually, lets not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Kylra posted:

if god was real, would anything change?????

dont worry about it kid, everyone knows Jesus is your only savior

• Locked thread