Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Welcome to the David Lynch Chat Lodge, where there’s always music in the air and the drapes are always red…

This is a thread for discussing the work of David Lynch (b. 1946, Missoula, Montana). Lynch is an award-winning director of movies, television, commercials and music videos (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive) as well as being an actor, writer, cartoonist, musician, photographer, painter and builder of lamps. Lynch is also a proponent of transcendental meditation and has a foundation which promotes the use and better understanding of TM. Lynch is currently married and resident in LA.

Major films:
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Twin peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire

Lynch’s work is so diverse, I don’t think there is any point in limiting discussion in this thread (with the exception of Twin Peaks, see below). I guess we’ll mostly be chatting about the movies but everything else he does is worth covering here, especially as I can’t see threads on his art, music, writing etc. gaining a critical mass on their own. Also, a lot of us are interested in many parts of his output, so it seems best to share it in one place.

Posting of favourite images encouraged! Newbies are welcome, but please read this thread and check Wikipedia/Google before posting questions. Lynch fans are pretty chill and inclusive.

:siren: Thread rules: :siren:

There will be spoilers so newbies beware! It is up to posters itt to decide regarding spoiler tags but just assume that if you are reading there will be spoilers. Obviously, if a new movie comes out that will be spoiler tag material for a while.

For any detailed chat regarding Twin Peaks TV series (S1 and S2 complete, S3 in development for autumn 2016 (HBOShowtime)), please go to the dedicated thread in TVIV here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219081 As many of us check/post in that thread already, don’t feel like posters itt will miss out on your TP questions/comments when you post them there. The feature film Fire Walk With Me is definitely within this thread’s scope, so post away.

If you’ve met Lynch or his collaborators you are welcome to tell us about your experiences if it relates to projects, public events, conventions, etc. Nothing regarding people’s private lives, please. No stalking or internet detectiving.

Vimeo, YouTube and any videos/clips on official sites are fine to post. It goes without saying, no :filez:

Try to keep it polite. :)

Links:
DavidLynch.com is the official website.
http://davidlynch.com/
David Lynch Foundation is his charity, largely related to TM.
http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/
Forums:
Dugpa: an excellent site with reviews, interviews and a very active forum
http://dugpa.com/
Twin Peaks Gazette: an archived forum, defunct since 2012 and much missed. :( Still lots of stuff worth digging out.
http://twinpeaksgazette.com/
Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lynch
Documentaries/Interviews:
Pretty as a Picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11nPUi5RWck
2014 interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMYSuyDmM8

{Please feel free to suggest additional links! I will add to OP.}

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Bown posted:

Just a small correction for the OP - Twin Peaks reboot will air on Showtime, not HBO :)

Well spotted. Thanks!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

^^^ Very true! Family Guy, The Splendid Source, May 2010 - what season and episode is that?

Current exhibition in the UK of DL's art: http://www.visitmima.com/whats-on/single/david-lynch-naming/

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I imagine that Eraserhead interview is the one that was on the special edition of Eraserhead 2000 DVD remaster.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cromulent posted:

I love Lynch, but I've been on the fence and waiting to watch Inland Empire for about 5 years now. There seems to be only two schools of thought from Lynch fans - it's either totally brilliant and horrifying and sticks with you, or it's a complete waste of time "up his own rear end" garbage. The fact that it's so long is probably the biggest barrier to me just sitting down and watching it, what's everyone here think about it?

I think IE is two (or maybe three) brilliant memorable short films chopped up and diluted in one overlong, indulgent mess. (And he had already done Rabbits before, so why we needed it again, I don't know.) I don't think DL had a proper script and he edited it himself - which was fatal. Mary Sweeney did a great job on his previous films and DL needs some constraints to channel his work. He filmed too much because it was digital, so he didn't need to economise with film. That left him with too much material. IE lacks the humour, wit, memorable characters, approachability and balance that made his previous work great. I've watched IE two or three times and I can't remember a single character's name. You can't say that about any of DL's previous films good, bad or patchy. I am not anti-arthouse (Eraserhead is my favourite DL film) but IE is a mess.

E: After IE there was a long period when fans thought he'll just promote TM and make art and never make another film. I said "If any more films are like IE then I'm glad he'll never make any more." And I'm a real hardcore Lynchian. That's how irritated IE made me.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 18, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks to Full Battle Rattle for the effort post. Very intelligent observations.

I'd add that Lost Highway comes through more for me as the years go by. The only thing that holds me back is that I don't like Rammstein, so some of the soundtrack I dislike. I hope I'll be able to get the blu-ray soon and I'll post my thoughts then.

TP: Fire Walk With Me is an awesome movie and very intense. I think it is the most emotionally tough to watch because we know of the main character's fate from even before the film starts. Sheryl Lee gives an amazing performance with a huge emotional range throughout the film and she is in almost 3/4 of the running time (more or less). It would be my favourite film if it weren't for the emotional toughness of the story and the fact you get to care about the main character so much. (As it is, my favourites would be Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, in that order.) Definitely watch FWWM after the series not before.

(For newbies) Here's my rough list of the order I recommend you should watch films in:

1. Blue Velvet
2. Elephant Man
3. Eraserhead
4. Twin Peaks (TV)
5. FWWM
6. Lost Highway
7. Mulholland Drive

With Wild at Heart, Straight Story, Dune as optional extras. (SS and D because they are a touch atypical for Lynch, WaH because I don't like it much.) IE I would only recommend to anyone who likes (or really likes) the rest of the DL's work.

Has anyone seen BV with the lost scenes recovered?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

What are the lost scenes? I heard that Frank rapes Jeffrey in the original script, that, but that could just be a rumour that I read on imdb or something.

The original cut of BV was 3 (or was it 4??) hours. Anyway, far too long. DL cut it down and the material was considered lost for a long time then it turned up around 2008-2010 and was remastered for an addition. Some scenes were lost entirely and exist only as stills, which form part of a photo gallery (including the finding of the other ear). DL doesn't like to edit in excised material, so it is separate sequence (just like WaH, FWWM, Eraserhead, IE). I am sure there are fan edits out there but :filez:

Yes, that scene you mentioned is in there but it is only explicitly hinted at after the fact - not shown on camera. For some reason it was cut - more artistic than length, I think.

Anyway, all of that is on the blu-ray. Like a fool I bought the DVD "special edition" which turned out to be anything but special. Blu-ray for me, I think.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Also, someone did an experiment where they took a couple of scenes from Dune and removed all of the dialogue. It's an interesting showpiece for what an incredible storyteller Lynch is, and it reveals some subtle similarities to Eraserhead in the opening scene of Dune with regards to how industrial noise and the camera placement quickly establishes how in control or not someone feels. It's not necessarily a good movie in this form but it puts what strengths Lynch has that made it into the final movie to the forefront:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJD19I5DK0

That's interesting. It kind of shows up how unnecessary not only some of dialogue is but the voice over. Has anyone seen the Dune script? Is the VO in there at the beginning? I suspect it was added later. Most of the time I think it is unnecessary (as in Bladerunner).

The design of the sets and some of the technology reminds me of 1940s sci-fi action serials. Not exactly silent era but certainly black and white and retro.

Sound design is especially important for DL. He discusses it in the Eraserhead interview. He even did some stuff that was quite complicated for the TP pilot (animal cries overlay Mike and Bobby howling at James in the jail, at the end, for example). Most directors (even avant garde ones) miss out on the importance of sound design but DL never does.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 20, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Just a reminder, today is David's birthday.

Happy birthday, David! :)

Infamous Sphere posted:

I watched Mulholland Drive first, and I think that's a pretty good starting point, although Blue Velvet would be an equally good place to start from.

I'd say BV is better for newbies because there isn't any narrative looping or doubling of character identities that you find in MD. So BV is a more straightforward film but gives you a taste of DL's style and interests.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Just watched Lost Highway on blu-ray. What a beautiful version. The video is very clear and detailed. There is occasional lens flare but as a result of lensing not video issues. The audio is very dynamic. I can't recommend this enough.

This European release had scene selection (DL releases don't always), 5.1 audio and widescreen. The extras are shorts Darkened Room, Boat, Lamp, Out Yonder, Industrial Soundscape, Bug Crawls and Intervalometer Experiments. These are all shot on non-high def video, so no blu-ray enhancement on those. No LH-related extras.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Which version did you buy/are you european? I've always held off on those new Blu-Ray releases because i'm deathly afraid of buying them and not being able to play them on my PS3.

I bought the MK2/Absurda release in Europe (where I live). It is Region B. (Blu-ray regions are different to DVD regions. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#mediaviewer/File:Blu-ray-regions_with_key.svg ) I am playing it on a dedicated blu-ray player hooked up to my laptop.
Good luck!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

I forget what the town was called but I love the crummy diner with the grouchy waitress and poo poo food.

"Hap's Diner" - it is like the exact opposite of RR Diner - yin and yang. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm sure Lynch planned it that way.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

You've probably heard already but DL will not be directing the new series of Twin Peaks. He is still the writer though. What that means for his movie career, who knows? :shrug: You can follow TP discussion on the TP thread in TVIV.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I just watched Blue Velvet on BR and holy moley that film looks beautiful. If you can, check it out on BR. It is something to see.

Unfortunately I thought the BR automatically included the famous Lost Scenes (or whatever they are called) - because, like, how many BRs are there of Blue Velvet? Well, turns out there must be at least 2 because I have the Not Special Edition. So when you read a box cover and it says "outtakes", it literally means "outtakes" not "deleted scenes". So instead of seeing about 30 min of lost footage and reimmersing myself in the world of Lumberton, I get 2 min of Kyle and Laura goofing off and DL laughing off camera. Yeah. My mistake.

gently caress me. How many more times can I buy the same film? :smith:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I really want a Blu-Ray copy of Lost Highway. Did that come out in the NA region yet? All of his movies are just so pretty. It's kind of a shame that Inland empire has that early digital look to it, because he was still very much on top of his composition and color work.

My blu-ray of LH is region B, Europe. It is a thing beauty and I can recommend it. BV also looks gorgeous - I just wish it had the missing scenes. I agree that IE is the film of his that will benefit least from blu-ray release. Honestly I am not a fan and I would never upgrade from the DVD I bought back in the day. Even if the quality was amazing I find it a dull and confusing movie. I wonder how Dune would hold up, with some of the effects being a bit shaky. TP and FWWM are both great in blu-ray. I bought Eraserhead in the 2000 Absurda restored DVD and I am reluctant to upgrade to blu-ray unless someone tells me there is a serious improvement or extra content.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

/\/\/\/\/\/\Good to have this update.
Apart from the TP/FWWM blu-ray set, I have avoided boxsets. I was so pissed at the TP Gold Set being released so soon after TP S2 was released that I never bought it, nor the Lime Green Set. Wild at Heart is my least favourite DL film - well, maybe on par with IE. So I wasn't going to buy the Lime Green Set for WAH outtakes. The only thing I am sore about is the few extras in the Gold Set that weren't in the blu-ray set. Of the top of my head, that would be the commercials, some interviews and featurettes - really minor stuff.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

/\/\/\/\/\/\ This is the worst way possible to film a TV series, which requires careful crafting (set-ups, pay-offs, introduction and resolution of storylines etc), pacing and regular cliff-hangers. Ever since DL split from Mary Sweeney, his editor, he has had editorial bloat - which is the main reason IE is a mess. He didn't have anyone on hand to tell him focus and cut down on the multiple strands.

TP S3 may turn out to be the most expensive car crash in TV history. It may end up getting cancelled before it is fully aired. IE was only for diehard DL fans and cost nothing so no one cared it was lovely. TP S3 is for mainstream audiences, will cost a fortune and has to please TV executives. I hope TP S3 turns out well but I have a bad feeling about it....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

INLAND EMPIRE OWNS.

Positive opinions on IE....types in all caps....D-D-David, is that you???

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cromulent posted:

I've had the same worries, however each episode was also co-written by Mark Frost, and Frost is apparently on set for the actual filming. That gives me some hope of things not going completely off the rails.

Yes, that constraint I think will definitely TP S3.

Lord Krangdar posted:

And its weird to talk about "ever since he split with Sweeney" when only one movie, an improvised one-of-a-kind experiment, falls under that distinction.

Fair enough, but part of the reason DL has been financially radioactive as far as studios have been concerned is the way he screwed up IE. MD was a financial and critical success and is still 100% Lynch.

About IE, I am aware of the idea of a complicated work of art. How about over-complicated? How about self-indulgent? Consider some of the masterpieces of Renaissance art - they were painted by artists who had to follow the instructions of patrons. They often could only paint using certain paints, at a set size, depict a particular subject, etc. The idea that true art must be unconstrained is daft. Some of the greatest artistic masterpieces have been made to satisfy commercial considerations, for popular audiences, with serious restrictions. BV, FWWM and MD are brilliant, complicated, artistically challenging films made under financial and technical constraints. IE had fewer constraints and fails on many more levels. Perhaps Lynch works well within limits. He's always (except for Dune) had final cut and control over scripts. All of his films (except Dune, I think) have made back their costs. Studios were willing to back Lynch up to IE within limits. Ever consider that those limits might actually be reasonable and help channel Lynch's abilities?

Even if DL is a great artist - and I think he is - you don't get to hit the target every time, even if you are Picasso or Vermeer or James Joyce.

With IE Lynch didn't properly script, filmed too long, tried to include too much, refused to cut enough, had no clear idea of structure before, during and after shooting and had no editor to assist him. There are one or maybe two really exciting films in IE, scrambled and interspersed with repetitions/self-quotes. It is a mess. I've never felt that way with other Lynch films. Yes it is more "interesting" than 90% of most films but the reason I criticise it so strongly is because a) IE had potential which was wasted, b) Lynch has such high standards, c) it has a fraction of humour, warmth, memorable characters, emotional approachability of other Lynch films. No amount of technical or narrative complexity (which actually I don't think it has) makes up for the fact it is a characterless (i.e. no developed characters), miserable, confusing, messy, self-indulgent film.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

You make it sound like he has been trying to make more films all this time but has been unable to get financing, like the problem Jodorowsky was facing for so long. But is that true? As far as I know he had that situation with Ronnie Rocket early in his career, but not post Inland Empire. Wikipedia says he financed much of IE himself, and afterwards he just didn't have a big idea for a new feature film

It's hard to judge exactly what was going on, because so much of the discussions are private. Lynch was involved in making music, doing music videos, making art and spending a lot of time on his transcendental meditation foundation. Whether that was entirely his own choice or due to financial issues, I don't know. In part it might have been down to the largely negative reaction to IE. Yes, it's true that with digital film and goodwill of his team of collaborators he could have made a self-financed film.

The point about Lynch being shunned by studios after IE is kind of true - people were alarmed at how messy and poorly received IE was - but also kind of irrelevant, as he could have self-financed. So I guess we are both right.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Inland Empire was concieved as an improvised project from the beginning. Shouldn't it then be judged as such? Not that we should excuse its flaws off-handedly, just that improv is its medium. That (being improvised) was the constraint that produced the final product.

A good point. I think we are just divided on how well he succeeded in his aims. I think that if he had turned IE into 5 short films of 30min then he would have produced maybe 2 brilliant films (Dern storyline and Polish storyline) and 3 meh films. I like some of his short digital films and I'm willing to take his films on their own merits. I just object to sitting through 3 hours (or whatever) of films being mashed together.

I think that DL is brilliant at harnassing improv. and mistakes - BOB in the mirror, Ben with the light microphone, the mortuary assistant's slip in TP, etc. I just think the improv. works better in flashes in structured pieces or in TV series where these things can be developed serially in episodes. Improvising in the editing suite is a terrible idea.

I take your points and you've put them well. :)

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aw man. Catherine Coulson has died. She was the Log Lady and was gonna reprise the role, too.

I was already thinking how hard this is gonna be to pull of without Frank Silva around, this stings.

:( That is super sad news.... I wish they had developed the Log Lady and her story more in the original TP.

That's a little piece of TP magic gone. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

David Lynch, Ten Clues to Mulholland Drive (blu-ray booklet):

1. Be particularly attentive at the beginning of the film: at least 2 clues are revealed before the credits.
2. Be really attentive when a red lampshade appears on screen.
3. Can you hear the title of the film for which Adam Kesher is casting actresses? Is this title mentioned again?
4. A car accident is a terrible thing... Pay attention to where the accident takes place.
5. Who gives the blue key and why?
6. Pay attention to the dress, the ashtray and the coffee cup.
7. At the club "Silencio", something is felt, the viewer realizes something, the clues come together... But what is it?
8. Did Camilla only become famous thanks to her talent?
9. Pay attention to the man behind "Winkies".
10. Where is Aunt Ruth?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Are those different clues to the DVD edition? It's been so long.

I don't have my DVD copy handy but this is what is printed in the blu-ray booklet. I'll report on the blu-ray quality and features once I've viewed it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

The Clap posted:

I picked up Mulholland Dr. on blu ray back when it was released on Criterion Collection and was immediately impressed not only with the quality of the film transfer but the packaging as a whole.

I got the Studiocanal blu-ray, which I think is the only version on sale in EU. It is a laminated hardcover with a booklet. The A/V is good but it doesn't strike me as significantly improved on the DVD.

The Clap posted:

Eraserhead on blu ray Criterion Collection.... Again, just shocked by how wonderful the packaging is on this thing. I'm waiting until I move in to my new house and get my entertainment system set up before watching it because it deserves a truly great sound system and picture quality.

Interested to hear if it is a big step up (in terms of video/audio quality) from the Eraserhead 2000 restoration on DVD. I don't really want to get it again, esp. if it doesn't include any new material/documentaries/commentaries. I know DL doesn't do commentaries but do any of his DVDs have a commentary?

On the subject of new material, I saw Blue Velvet missing scenes on the Blu-Ray. It is 52 min, pretty good. Looks great and the sound is surprisingly good considering that ADR probably wasn't done (kind of tough as actors' voices change over the years). If you want more Dorothy and Jeremy material there is only one scene of the two of them (rooftop scene). The finding of the 2nd ear was a scene that wasn't recovered. :( I kind of assumed that the picture gallery would be included as that includes scenes cut that were never restored but that extra wasn't part of this blu-ray. Kind of bummed about that but I won't buy it a third time. The extra scenes are mainly stuff which covers Jeremy's family. It is whacky and a lot more humour and makes BV closer to TP - it seems like Jeremy's mother is kind of a prototype for Sarah Palmer. We get to see Jeremy's girlfriend. Only two scenes with Frank. I can see why these extra scenes were cut. I think only the rooftop scene would enhance BV.

Lost Highway and FWWM both look and sound great on blu-ray. Really recommended. FWWM blu-ray is part of the blu-ray boxset and includes the missing scenes, which includes many TP characters who never made the final cut of FWWM. Nice stuff but not essential.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

How would you compare it to FWWM's lost material? Presentation-wise, as well. The way they present FWMM deleted scenes is practically its own little weird movie.

Well, as you know DL doesn't re-edit or incorporate new material into existing films. it is 52 min which you watch as a sequence. It isn't in chronological order. You start with a bar scene with jeremy, Frank, Dorothy and the goons in a bar menacing a character. that is is probably the longest and most aggressive and sexual scene. Then it goes to Jeremy at university and Jeremy at home. J spends time with his family, we spend time with his aunt. The bent cop visits Dorothy. There is a short scene of Frank walking in the wind. Then we have the rooftop scene with J and D. That last scene is really the most compelling dramatically. It's weird to see this extra stuff and definitely worth seeing for fans. I think DL edited it so the pieces did work dramatically as a single connected piece.

I think there is a scene menu but I didn't explore that.

For anyone new, I would of course say watch the film first then the extras. So that would be the same for FWWM. I haven't seen FWWM with the missing scenes edited in by fans but I imagine it makes the film really slow and disjointed. Laura is the centre of FWWM and anything extra is really distracting. I think BV would be good as a fan edit with maybe the rooftop and (possibly) the bar scene edited in. With Inland Empire, frankly you mash that up with the Extra Things That Happened and watch that any way. I don't like IE, so I'll never watch the extra footage again.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Two Worlds posted:

It's Jeffrey, not Jeremy.

ooops!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I'd say Lost Highway is closer in tone to those two, but Blue Velvet was made in the same era ("Young Lynch"). Then Wild At Heart for a road trip into hellish landscapes or Mulholland Drive if you want more of a mystery into dreamscapes.

At any point, if you're feeling overwhelmed and need a feel-good palette cleanser, watch The Straight Story.

I'd second that except I would skip WaH, unless you are Nicholas Cage fan. I'm not.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

It's clear to see that his attitude towards the show spills over into the movie, he essentially destroys his own creation.

This was early 1990s and he couldn't do half of the stuff in FWWM on network television. He had a new format, +18 rating, 100% control over script and direction and hey, why not do other stuff with the characters? It wasn't like the movie was ever going to be "Twin Peaks go on Spring Break". The movie was always going to be about sexual abuse, incest and murder featuring a teenage girl. Not much room Little Nicky and dastardedly Dick there.

E: Not to mention that DL wanted to do 2 extra films about Twin Peaks but the box office returns were too low. He definitely did love TP and wanted to do more with it in film and darker, but yes, he did allow TP to fall apart during S2, though exactly how much personal involvement/control he had over scripts and new characters in later S2 I don't know.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 24, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

A large part of his lack of involvement with S2 is due to working on Wild at Heart, as well as other projects.

And I thought Cooper was absent for a lot of FWWM because Kyle was tired of the character and didn't want to be typecast as "FBI character". And the whole debacle with Coop and Audrey being written out of their romance due to behind the scenes drama fueled the fire of him being tired of the franchise, let alone the flannel episodes.

Yes, I knew about DL working on WAH and hence being absent for most of S2. I wonder about how much involvement he had on scripting and casting matters re the middle/late part of S2. E: I mean, at a distance, while working on WAH.

ASAIK that info about Kyle is correct and he had a late change of heart during the run up to FWWM, hence he only has a short sequence in that. I think a lot of actors were pissed off about the dip in S2 and the feeling that DL had deserted them and that had led to cancellation of S3. Also a lot of them were sorry their parts in the movie were so small and not used in the theatrical cut.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

From the Twin Peaks wiki, the source given is the box set that came out in '07.

I'm sure I heard that well before then. I guess that quotes from Wrapped in Plastic were replaced by the DVD as a source.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Any word on when in 2017 Twin Peaks series 3 will be broadcast?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Any word on when TP S3 is scheduled to broadcast?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Armani posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Premonition

This poo poo right here.

Like, a wiki doesn't really do it justice. You regularly talk to your coffee (and yourself) for daily fortune tellings. You can shave and change clothes for good marks from the FBI. You smoke Police-brand cigarettes. Fish bellies have trading cards within them. A lady needs her casserole delivered five miles across town.

It's a game where eating a lollipop keeps you sane but costs $35.

Check out the let's play by SuperGreatFriend on YouTube. It is really fun. SGF is a relaxed and witty LPer (one of SA's own) and he has really taken time to cover every aspect of that game. Anyone who likes Twin Peaks should at least see a little of Deadly Premonition on YouTube.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

At the very least you should watch up until half way through season 2, at the point where there's a big reveal about what happened to Laura. It kinda takes a nosedive in quality for a little while after that (do not feel bad about fast forwarding through basically any scene with James in it) and there's an abruptly introduced new 'villain' who is pretty drat stupid, though the finale is incredible and really, really should be watched.

If you watch FWWM without at least watching up to the big reveal in the series, you will probably regret it. A big part of the appeal of FWWM, for me at least, is how very different it is from the series. All the charm, quirkiness and loveable nature is just shot to pieces, and you're left with a bleak, miserable and often terrifying view of the town you've grown to love - because now you're seeing it from Laura's point of view.

Seconded.

RBX posted:

I've watched every Lynch movie but Inland Empire Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet. I own them too but I'm lazy. Lost Highway is my favorite so far.

Leave IE to last. Alternatively: don't watch IE. EH and BV are amazing. BV is like the prologue to TP.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Yep. One of my top 10 filmgoing experiences ever.

My goondolences on only having seen 10 films in the cinema. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Miguel Ferrer died from cancer today.

:(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Wizard Master posted:

Yep, I saw it for the first time earlier this year in a mostly empty theater and it was genuinely harrowing. I can't imagine watching it at home on DVD would even come close to that experience. It's my second favorite Lynch after MD just based on the experience of seeing it in the cinema.

Not as harrowing as your post history, forums poster Wizard Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Red Letter Media reviews FWWM in advance of TP series 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1bbjXCfyY

E: BTW, to avoid spoilers I'm going to duck out of this thread until I've seen TP S3 on DVD.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 20, 2017

• Locked thread