Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you love Angelo Badalementi's dark, spooky, sexy music from Lynch's movies, you should check out a band called Silencio, which takes its sound and visual style from Lynch and Badalamenti. Awesome stuff!

http://www.delsilencio.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Not film but a lot of Haruki Murakami novels are really Lynchian. Especially like Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I read 1Q84, my first Murakami novel, semi-recently, and I was thinking "Lynchian" the entire time. If I liked it, would I enjoy the others?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 19, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So what do we know about Phil Jeffries (David Bowie's character from FWWM) and the mysterious Judy? And what was the deal with all the creatures meeting above the convenience store? Demons? Denizens of the Black Lodge? And did Jeffries infiltrate them, or what? Keep in mind I haven't seen the Missing Pieces, but that was the most fascinating part of the movie for me.

I'd also love to revisit Chester Desmond in Season 3, to get some closure on his story and hopefully get him a happier ending, along with Coop. The "bizarro Twin Peaks" part in the beginning with Desmond, Kiefer Sutherland, and Gordon Cole with his "blue rose" case was my second favorite part.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really love Dune. Lynch does not, for very understandable reasons as he was forced to do extensive cutting and didn't have the control he did on other films, and we'll probably never see it as he intended, but drat it's one of the most atmospheric sci-fi movies ever. Everything about it is so drat majestic.

Overall there always seems to be a strong moral sense in Lynch's films, in that they posit that evil exists and is around us. The good doesn't always win but there's always a struggle.

Something else I find interesting about Lynch's morality is that there are very few gray areas. Good is GOOD and evil is EVIL. There are no roguish, badass antiheroes or villains you root for in spite of yourself. Heroes are uncomplicated, often innocent, sometimes even a bit old-fashioned, and villains are ugly, scary, perverse, sick, unsettling. Cable TV shows partially inspired by Twin Peaks are full of amoral protagonists, but nobody would ever root for BOB, Frank Booth, Bobby Peru, or Robert Blake's Mystery Man. Dale Cooper is kind of a square, but he's OUR square, and we love him for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I recently watched Mulholland Drive for the second time, and made my wife watch it for her first time. She said she saw various scenes from the film out of context many years ago, which is why she resisted watching it with me for so long.

I found it mystifying but entertaining the first time, but this time, we both absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty sure I figured everything out. I don't remember being so appreciative of a movie in a long time, and it was strange that it didn't affect me so deeply the first time. I loved everything about it, so that Blu-Ray is tempting, even though I don't buy Blu-Rays or even DVDs anymore.

Now to find a copy of Lost Highway, so I can get her to watch that one with me...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

lizardman posted:

Alright, I never do the "post about a movie while you're watching it" thing but I have to with this one: I'm half an hour into Inland Empire and I'm honest-to-God wondering IS THIS A JOKE?

Because if I were trying to make a parody of challenging indie arthouse movies it would probably look a lot like this. I don't think I've laughed harder at any movie scene all year than I have watching this old lady chatting with Laura Dern over coffee.

BRUTAL.

loving.

MURDER.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished watching Ryan Gosling's directorial debut Lost River, and it's very much a Lynch homage. I can't say I enjoyed it much, but I'm not sorry I watched it. It had a dreamlike, almost fairy tale/magical realism quality to it, and was set in crumbling, decaying Detroit, with a pervasive sense of dread hovering over everything. I think people posting in this thread will appreciate more than your average moviegoer.

It also has Christina Hendricks working in a fetish club, but it isn't exactly what you're thinking or hoping for.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Everybody always forgets about The Straight Story :(

The Straight Story and The Elephant Man are the only two Lynch feature films I haven't seen.

I haven't seen Industrial Symphony #1 or any of his short films either, just due to lack of access. :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
When it was on Netflix a few years ago, it took me three separate sittings, weeks apart, to make it through Inland Empire. It's a long, exhausting, disquieting movie, and I say this as someone who loves most of Lynch's work. It's a HARD watch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For Lynch fans who just subscribed to Showtime (I imagine that's most of us), they have The Straight Story available, but only until the end of May, so a few more days. That's one of the only Lynch movies I've still never seen, so I will be sure to watch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Love Lost Highway and Kiss Me Deadly. Random note, Lynch fans might have fun with Red Rock West which I dig. A bit pulpy/neo-noir, and has cast from several David Lynch things with Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Haven't seen it in almost 20 years, but it's a great neo-noir. The late, great JT Walsh is in it too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just saw a trailer for Lucky, which should appeal to several here. I got a Straight Story vibe from it (but quirkier), and it stars Harry Dean Stanton. David Lynch acts in it too!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/harry-dean-stanton-david-lynch-lucky-trailer.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If your public library system offers access to Hoopla, a free service with streaming movies and downloadable e-books (including hundreds of graphic novels from every major publisher except Marvel), Lost Highway is on there, so you can watch it for free.

I've seen every Lynch movie now except The Elephant Man. Aside from the Twin Peaks series taken as a whole, my favorite of his works is Mulholland Drive, followed by the underrated Wild at Heart. I didn't hate Dune, but I never read the books or had any other frame of reference for it. Back when Inland Empire was on Netflix a few years ago, it took me three separate sittings, weeks apart, to get through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

He becomes one of the best characters and becomes audience surrogate at points.

Yeah, Belushi's character and the characters associated with him deserve their own spinoff. They were far and away my favorite parts of the season, and I would love to spend more time with them.

• Locked thread