Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I bought a Tamron 17-50 non-VC from a guy for $100 knowing full well the zoom ring was messed up. The ring will zoom in, but not pull back. I didn't think it would bother me, but it does. The seller had purchased it from someone else a while ago, so any chance of getting Tamron to fix it under warranty is long gone. I called Tamron and they can repair it, but it was pretty spendy and it was approaching the point where it wasn't worth it. I see KEH does repairs, but I was wondering if they were a good choice for getting this lens fixed? Are there other, better places that are more cost efficient? I don't want to throw good money after bad, but if I could get this lens repaired for a reasonable price, I'd love to play around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You're probably better off sucking it up as a loss. Not that KEH isn't a good company, I just wouldn't really trust repairs that don't come from the manufacturer. Most of the time when something gets repaired, major components are replaced with new pieces. The manufacturer would have these in stock, but I wouldn't think KEH would. Unless it was dirt cheap, it's probably not worth fixing considering you can get a good functional copy used for $350, maybe less (I don't keep up with prices).

Using the :iiaca: , it's like you blown a gasket on a beat up old car with 300,000 miles on it. It's better to junk it and buy something else instead of wasting money on repairs.

• Locked thread