Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

hail gamer, you can either be this dude that swings a sword around or you can be this guy that throws exploding fireballs from his hands and can turn people's blood into delicious healing energy

i mean come on guys

Yeah but you can swing a sword all day. Mages have to wait for their MP to refill or chug an ether, and I'm just not ready for that level of complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mp loving sucks

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wizards could do with more sick combos.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Punching people is better than using magic or being a sword guy, especially if you have kung fu moves. Monks FTW!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

More games need mages like GW2's Elementalist. Super versatile, jumping between four elements all the time, and only one weapon set (staff) exclusively stands back and flings magic. Special mention to dagger eles, who are super mobile close-range attackers but also still mages.

Also like Dragon's Dogma because even though Sorcerer can be boring to play sometimes, getting to conjure crazy huge tornadoes and meteor storms is worth it. Still went Magic Archer and Mystic Knight more though because that game's melee combat was way good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always play the healer/support because I'm bitchmade.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol yeah let me read a loving book instead of remaking the world with these hands and the biggest sword i can find

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"i cast m--m-m-m-magice missile" - some loving retard while i'm busy shattering monsters with my sheer might

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Fungah! posted:

lol yeah let me read a loving book instead of remaking the world with these hands and the biggest sword i can find

remaking the world is deeply entrenched in the realm of magic powers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

yeah if you're a weak little dweeb with noodle arms instead of a big strong motherfucker

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i always pick the bow guy. is something wrong with me?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mage the Ascension is my faveorite rpg because everyone is a magic guy

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
also among my friends "sword guy" refers to a loving lunatic who will just murder fools for no reason

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah! posted:

"i cast m--m-m-m-magice missile" - some loving retard while i'm busy shattering monsters with my sheer might

sorry that you seemed to only have played games with the most pansy-rear end magic users imaginable. maybe give dragon's dogma a shake? you can summon literal tornadoes, earthquakes and meteor showers.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

sorry that you seemed to only have played games with the most pansy-rear end magic users imaginable. maybe give dragon's dogma a shake? you can summon literal tornadoes, earthquakes and meteor showers.

or you could play weapon man and go toe to toe with a cyclops, then push him off a cliff instead of wasting your time

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i've done that too, chief. i like to partake of all the different classes a game has to offer. and summoning a giant loving tornado is not a waste of time, get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

so thats why people hate remakes :haw:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fungah! posted:

or you could play weapon man and go toe to toe with a cyclops, then push him off a cliff instead of wasting your time

I just fell off the cliff with him and his body cushioned my fall.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Gandalf the Gay.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I just fell off the cliff with him and his body cushioned my fall.

that owns, and is way cooler than farting up a tornado or w/e a wizard does

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Gandalf the Gay.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Physical strength is extremely overrated

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

qnqnx posted:

/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Elegance of form and maneuver is epic, and being powerful to boot... Hell yeah my ninja.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Elegance of form and maneuver is epic, and being powerful to boot... Hell yeah my ninja.

:cheers:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

a lot of these examples of why strong guys are better than magic guys aren't even in any video games

if you want to hit things with a sword so bad, play a magic guy, because they have swords made out of fuckin magic.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

a lot of these examples of why strong guys are better than magic guys aren't even in any video games

if you want to hit things with a sword so bad, play a magic guy, because they have swords made out of fuckin magic.

smdh

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

that doesn't read anything like a fan fiction. i think you are making things up to try and look cool.

i know my fanfics, man

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

PantsBandit posted:

Bards are silly bitches, and the closest thing that rpgs have to a jester.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

if this is how bards were in video games i'd be all over that poo poo but they only do faggy poo poo like confidence buffs and minor healing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
D&D bards with glibness own

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Psycobladder posted:

Punching people is better than using magic or being a sword guy, especially if you have kung fu moves. Monks FTW!

Agreed

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I play as a mage in WoW.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

AHungryRobot posted:

i've done that too, chief. i like to partake of all the different classes a game has to offer. and summoning a giant loving tornado is not a waste of time, get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense.

i agree that you should not limit yourself to just one class. play several different kinds, because that is what gaming is all about

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dexters Secret posted:

if this is how bards were in video games i'd be all over that but they only do confidence buffs and minor healing

truth

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Dexters Secret posted:

if this is how bards were in video games i'd be all over that poo poo but they only do faggy poo poo like confidence buffs and minor healing
Well, you can beat a dinosaur in the head until it passes out on monhun using the hunting horn.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

gently caress magic and swords when you can use wrestling moves

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Golden Goat posted:

gently caress magic and swords when you can use wrestling moves

win!!

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I wanna play FF6 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
by the time you are very powerful the sword guy will always be wearing cool looking stuff

but with wizards you are hoping the designers didnt just give you a bunch of weird robes with a matching dunce cap. Sometimes wizards get to wear cool clothes but I dont know if I could take that chance

• Locked thread