Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Did it bring all the boys to the yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

buffeh posted:

My 3-4 year old female corn snake, which hasn't eaten for just over 3 months, is losing 4.5g a week. I have been told previously not to worry as it's a winter fast, but have recently been told elsewhere that weight loss of that amount is too fast / a problem if it was a seasonal fast. Snake weighed in at 680g a week ago. Should I be concerned?

Age tells us nothing. How long is she?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

buffeh posted:

Very shaky maths but if she'd been losing 4.5g a week since we got her (can't be sure as first weigh in wasn't until 6 weeks after taking her home) that would put her starting weight at around 735g meaning she would have lost around 7.5% of her body weight since then.

Fluffy Bunnies: She's around 4.5ft I believe, I need to try and get a slightly more accurate measurement though!

I've set her an ultimatum anyway, if she's not eating just after the start of Official UK Springtime (tm) (March 20th) then I'll get her looked at, for peace of mind if anything.

Thanks all

735g for a 4.5 corn sounds pretty fuckin big. Worry when she hits like 500-550g and still isn't eating and stops drinking or whatever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'm getting ready for my first properly prepared show. I have my containers, labels, business cards, a roll of paper towels, and hand sanitizer. I'm getting a logo designed right now it will be ready in time for the show. What else do I need to have?

I'm going to take cash, checks from people I know, and PayPal.

A lockbox for your cash with bank envelopes. They come in handier than they seem to until you're there. Though most people really don't do cash these days. I always print caresheets for first timers too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

The original point being that inbreeding is very common in the herp trade and isn't really seen as a problem.

It's common but it's becoming looked down upon which is a good thing. We don't need it to become a problem. It is a slow moving opinion though, but I'm seeing it more and more and I like it. I don't care of that means less ball python morphs because they already have 1.9 million. Same with corns.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It all depends on your typical house temperature. If you keep your house about 68 degrees and have constant a/c, the little fans are usually alright.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If it's not a species you can get easily captive bred, there's probably good reason for it. Depending on what that good reason is depends on what my opinion is.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Crestie q: how do I know if Electra is enjoying tolerating being handled, as opposed to being stressed? I don't think she minds it but man reptiles are way harder to read than mammals.

Is she jumping around a lot: could be stress, could be too warm. Could just be here.

Is she firing up: stress or warm.

Is she biting you: that's stress or hunger.

Is she making GBS threads on you: she approves of your warm and has left a warm for you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Ha, so I ordered a scale and... only her body fits on, not her tail. :v: I managed to convince her to stay still long enough to weigh her, and she's 0.81. Is that about normal? She'll be uhhhhh about four-five months I guess by now.

Is that kg? Because if so she's fine. If that's just normal grams your gecko is about to disappear.

Also her tail doesn't have to be on it.

I use Glacier Rodents because I'm close by, but man his stuff is awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are you just feeding crickets? What are you dusting them with?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just got her in last night. They seemed to mostly feed her crickets (which isn't the best diet for an adult) but they also gave me some fruit and veggie mix. The crickets have flunker's high calcium cricket diet and some orange gel cube things. I need to get some more today as I kinda fed her too many by accident.

Also I need to get a thermometer, a UVB bulb (as I'm not sure the one they gave me is) and maybe some proper substrate.

What's the fruit and veggie mix look like? Pellets?

Yoshimo posted:

I need to transport my milk snake (I'm moving home) so he'll need to put up with a 2.5 hour journey by van. Will he be alright if I just keep him in his little vivarium, minus the water and heating pad?

Your snake will be fine. When I transport my reptiles across the US (or across the world like that one time thanks military!) I feed the week before I leave, fast them the week we're traveling and get them set up temporarily then feed the following week. Haven't had an issue yet and I've kinda been doing this a while. Two and a half hours is nothing. He might wallop himself in the face if you leave him in his viv. I'd probably toss him in a pillowcase, zip a delicates laundry bag around him, zip tie it under the knot altogether, then settle him somewhere out of the line of a/c but still somewhere cool and dark.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, it's like a bag with little chopped up bits in it. Looks like chopped up carrots and green beans. It's this stuff:
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/food/all-living-things-dried-reptile-food-mix-zid36-21544/cat-36-catid-500004

Try giving her some real, fresh chopped veggies and fruits and see if she eats them. If she does, toss that poo poo out.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yellow pins, quad stripes, and reds are hot this year. Anything else isn't really selling great unless you're selling low.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Poachers have stolen an entire species of turtle. Every single loving Phillipine Forest Turtle. Now they need donations to try to save them all/

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e6a7f8599e08681aa0cbfc9ce&id=e1b0beed7e

There is no way in hell they're going to do anything other than lose like 80% of them anyway.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mist once a day.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Permanently or just to let the levels drop?

You are way overthinkin' this man. I dunno, maybe there's some enviromental humidity coming into play or something since it's summer. If it gets dryer, mist twice a day, wetter? Once or less. With all the moss and stuff in there I imagine it won't get too dry unless you go like five or six days without misting. You don't want her too wet, but as long as she's got something to drink, food, a good temp, good weight, good poops and she's shedding good? You're good to go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Everything FB said is right, but one thing you can do is make sure there's reasonably good airflow in/out of the vivarium.

What's your ambient humidity in the room you keep the viv? If it's a lot dryer, but your viv is staying super-humid, that's a sign of inadequate airflow.

This is true. Fraction's in england, though, so I wouldn't think it'd be dryish in there unless she has a dehumidifier or some such. Could totally be wrong though. Everywhere's weather's so hosed it's pretty neat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm sorry to say it's going to turn her into a terrorist. If you see her constructing any tiny explosive vests, tell the queen. (she'll be fine)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://wandertokyo.com/rhinoceros-beetle-care/ obviously a few things are different over here (like the gel you might have to mail order) but yep. Rhino beetle.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shachi posted:

Need some quick advice. I paired my cresties a little over a month ago and my female now digging. I put in a lay box about where she was digging a hole but she pretty much refuses to use it.

I was thinking I should move her to a bare tank with the lay box but I'm worried that will be too much stress. I guess I can always just go on an egg scavenger hunt.

Other question is should I remove the male until she lays. I don't really want her having any extra stress while she tries sorting this out :ohdear:

She doesn't like your laybox. What are you using in it?

Bare tanks result in nothing but irritable geckos and she may straight up hold them back and then they calcify and she dies so yeah don't do that one.

Some people keep male and female together but I've literally had no issue with removing him after a week or two of initial mating. No loss of fertility or whatever. And it keeps my girls in better shape in terms of being bit and hosed endlessly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I use plain dirt for my layboxes and have only ever had one rear end in a top hat gecko who hated it. http://www.escalemodels.com/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2011/post-2198-094235900%201312467236.jpg If you mean these, that's legit what I use too.

Don't bury it. I just sit it on top of the substrate and let them do their thing. She might just be feeling dry, too. Some don't show, some do. Some of my girls take 2-3 months to lay the first clutch, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dude even male crested geckos dig sometimes. That's not necessarily indicative of her going into lay at all.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

The letting agency needs to re-do all the wiring in my flat, and while I don't think the electrical contractors would grass me in for having a snake (it's a no pets flat) I don't want to take the risk - will my milk snake be ok through the day if his vivarium's stashed away in a cupboard, minus the heating mat? It'll just be from approx 9-5, for two days.

As long as he's not digesting he'll be fine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

freelop posted:

Just got bitten by my royal python for the second time and this time it wasn't because I surprised him.

I opened up his tub and he seemed normal if a little twitchy. When I put my hand in he bit it before rising up and tracking me about in the same way he tracks his food as I bring it in on the tongues.

I hope this isn't a sign that there is something up with him.

Your snake is fine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

freelop posted:

The skull is on the cold side and the cave is on the warm side. There are also a few more cardboard tubes dispersed about.
What would be good for coverage?

You're in the UK right?

Go to poundland. Get fake foliage from poundland. Replace it when it gets moldy or beat up. Fake flowers are totally cool. Just don't let'em in his water.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

freelop posted:

Went into poundland but they had no artificial foliage.
Picked up a whole bunch of small plastic plant pots that I've cut a hole in and turned upside down to make a bunch more small hidey holes though.

Huh. Usually poundland does. Poundworld, maybe?

Still, that's a good start.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

Done. Cool survey. Anybody want to tell me what the last snake was? I just put "Colubrid, nonvenomous." v:v:v

:Looked like some kind of water snake to me. The lumps on the back of it's head were questionable with it's camo vs the general build of the snake and the face. My answer was "I'd carefully put it elsewhere, as I'm not positive it's venomous or not" but I'm leaning venomous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Like, if it's something venomous it's a baby something venomous and it looks awfully long to be a baby anything. I'm guessing it's doing that stupid rear end "lol kill me I'm a venomous snake" poo poo that nerodia tend to do as a defense mechanism that makes people chop their little heads off. The angle of the picture has me thrown to beat all hell. It's really annoying. It's definitely no cottonmouth or copperhead I've ever seen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Dog faced water snake. Cerberus rynchops.

I've never seen a dog faced water snake with that wonky rear end patterning. Weird morph thing going on? Or were my zoo's just boring? And hey I was right. It IS venomous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm actually deeply enjoying the fact that we're all going "what the gently caress is that" because it's just such a bad picture.

It's a garter. Tada. We're done. I win.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hi that black throated monitor is going to be 10 nightmares for you and your cats are going to get eaten. You will need to feed it small pigs, chickens, and the like up to twice per day some days when it is an adult. It will be adult sized very quickly and, for all intents and purposes, should be treated like a crocodillian in terms of the potential to gently caress you up.

Black throated monitors are fantastic animals. They are not pets that 99% of the population should have. I am showing deep restraint. Good me.

E: Cat food vs dog food since I'm here anyway: cat food has higher protein, generally has different nutrient profiles and the like. Dog food is closer to what they need and easier to work with for their needs from what I've been taught. BTS need protein and all but I mean, you know what I'm saying SN.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I mean I'm sure you could eat a monitor but why would you want to

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Good lord.

See, this is just the sort of animal it ought to be criminal to sell people at goddamn expos. HKR you have basically bought a small alligator. I mean, not as dangerous as an alligator, they have calm temperaments in general, but you're going to own a 50-pound carnivorous lizard. Do you have a big back yard you can 100% secure? I sure hope you don't plant to keep that animal confined to a cage for its whole life, because that's not OK. I just read a few care articles that imply you can get away with merely a huge enclosure, but let's be honest: keeping a 6-foot animal in a 8-foot enclosure is cruel. A time may come when you have to figure out how to keep it from escaping your house or yard. And they're quite capable of climbing so keep that in mind. You will not be able to have that lizard sharing space with cats - it will probably eat them. You're going to have to plan your entire living arrangements around it. I hope you own your home, because renting when you own a giant lizard may prove challenging.

I'm curious to hear what the breeder told you at the expo. Did they warn you? Did they raise an eyebrow and ask probing questions about your plans for the future? Did they at least ask you if you knew what you were doing and had done any research before buying this thing?

I'm sure 90% of the ones sold at expos wind up dead before they're 2 years old, because random expo-goers impulse-buying herps are usually unprepared to properly care for them... especially when they're buying them for their kids, assuming the kids are going to "learn responsibility" and "care for it themselves." Which is part of what pisses me off about herp shows, actually. Good responsible breeders/retailers should be screening customers and only selling challenging animals to people who have clearly prepared themselves - and planned in advance.

Breeder told them to feed it crickets so lol.

Black throats get bigger than 50 pounds on average. Try 65ish, with one or two having hit three figures, I believe.

To be honest, "a small alligator" is pretty dead on and not necessarily less dangerous. They're pretty chill, but if you piss one off I'd treat it the exact same as a goddamn gator because it will quite happily snap off fingers, and if it ends up being a very large one, you can say bye to your hand.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'd rather deal with a gator tbh they're more predictable and grow slower. And you can tape their mouth shut.

Edit: I asked a black throat owner what their adults eat and he said: 10-15 chicks or a dozen cooked eggs or 4 one foot long fish or 6-10 medium rats. Every three days. O.o

Given this is a very very very very non-pro opinion but I wouldn't feed those eggs. I would just feed whole prey.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

It is generally a bad idea to stare directly into any lightbulbs.

That might explain some problems on my end.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I got rid of my psycho candycanes because I was sick of getting bitten. They went to someone who wanted to get bitten all the time and really loved their patterns. Every single candycane I came across (except for the 2001 I ended up with until she passed earlier this year, good girl Mabel snake) has been a total fuckhead and I'm really displeased about that. I love the pattern but I like dumbass snakes that just want to chill. Not bite me all the time.

I had a friend hold Harley down this morning (gently). I measured her and she's over 5'10" for sure. Which means my (almost 10 year old) corn snake is now longer than I am tall and likely is done going to younger grades because that size is pretty intimidating. Joker is only 5'3" but he's a year younger, so maybe he'll catch up some day. My hypo lavender still refuses all things with fur so I guess she's getting hairless mice when we move, though at least I'm keeping her a healthy weight. My caramel is getting fat. My tessera is probably going to move up to a larger enclosure soon. My pied bloodred and tequila sunrise didn't bite me this week, which is a first. My coral snow still hasn't sold because it's a male (not that I mind, he's so pink and he's so friendly). And my itty bitty butter worm is pounding two pinks at a time and finally is about the width of two pipecleaners. :3: And she's a total sweetheart. She's not going to schools any time soon simply because she's too tiny and too delicate, but I look forward to taking her.

On the cresteds side, I only have a few more to sell before I'm out of them. I love'em to death but it's just not safe to transport them across the entire us in the dead of winter. The corns can handle the heater on and going a few days in a bag. The cresteds hated it last time and I'm not gonna put them through it.

I'm gonna miss my mouse dude up here. He's so drat nice and his product is so clean. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saul, Tuco and Pinkman sounds like one hell of a party.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Silver already knows, but my Spaghetti did his first shed for me last night. So proud of my little guy!

At first I thought that was a shed that split along the back and I was giving it the weirdest look. No, you just have a teeny tiny baby corn.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your question mark looks like a little woma python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

What is the least cruel way to dispatch 50 anoles so I can freeze them for feeders?

An incredibly tiny broomstick.