Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Gonna need some opinions on what to pickup from the next reptile show I plan on going to. Should I get 4 GBB's or 2 P. Metallicas?

Personally I'd go for the GBBs. They've got more interesting behaviors imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Yeah I was personally leaning towards GBB's myself but I wasn't 100% sure yet. I'll probably grab up the GBB's.

Also, you may want some more experience with fast, arboreal Ts before making the leap to Poecs (although P metallica is one of the most mellow poecs).

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

So what the gently caress happened to emperor scorpions where they are now easily $100? Are they extinct in the wild or people aren't breeding them anymore?

They're not being imported anymore and so few people were bothering to breed them that there is a drought of them now.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Huh, so it turns out that a. versicolor slings stay in premolt for about 2 weeks or so before actually molting.

edit: Finally got some pics of my second molted versicolor. I'm not sure if I should bother the third one that molted last night though. It's gonna be so cool once they start showing colors.

Yeah give them a week or so after molting before attempting to feed them. The length of time fasting before and after molting gets longer and longer as they grow.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

How concerned should I be with one of my spiderlings molting out with one messed up leg that it ended up eating??

When they're small don't worry. It may have just been a fluke and not due to something off in their care.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Ok so for my 1 week post-molt P.Sazimai how can I tell when I should feed it, if it's still hanging out in its closed off hole?

You can offer, but remove if it doesn't seem interested.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

kittycopter posted:

Great! I love herping, even though there isn't much in my area (you'd think all of Florida would be perfect lol).

So here is the dinosaur in question. I haven't gone to see if it's moved the last few hours, but I hope so since it is night time now. Have never seen a snapping turtle behave so calmly, so I'm concerned. It does get scared, because sometimes my hand movements would make it retract into the shell, or it would even seem to attempt to run, but only manage to turn like 10 degrees.. If it's there still, should I look for leg injuries maybe? It's Central Florida, it hasn't actually gotten cold, just some nights get down to the 60s. Is it that? Old? Sick? Didn't want apples, but that didn't surprise me much. Did sniff em, though. EDIT: Common snapping turtle, btw.

I believe that's a chicken turtle. Just place it somewhere near water that's safe and leave it be. If it's not obviously injured, it will probably be ok.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

kittycopter posted:

Yeah, I felt super weird thinking it was a snapping turtle. I thought alligator snappers were the crazy, scary looking guys. Chicken turtles are pretty small, this guy was rather large, and I believe it's a florida red belly. I've just rescued them from roads before, and they were always very active & fast. This one was acting the total opposite. I just felt bad, we have bears and coyotes all over, I don't want it to be unhealthy and end up eaten because it can't hide. It's near water/mud/marsh, about 5 feet. I considered moving it inches from the water, but didn't want to stress it. thank you for your advice

Turtles are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So... I did a thing. I picked up x2 Y. Diversipes and x4 C. cyaneopubescens at the reptile show today.

Very nice. Gbbs are awesome. Love how they web up their whole cage.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Mak0rz posted:

Judging by a few recent posts this seems to be the de-facto rancho thread. Is that right?

We have a Chilean rose-hair tarantula that's doing that thing where she doesn't eat for a long time. It's been mid-September since she last had anything. Should I be worried? Her abdomen isn't wrinkled, so she's not necessarily starving or anything.

Note that she was fed a lot back then because I didn't know any better. In the span of a couple of weeks between August and September she had like two butter worms and two big fat chunks of earthworm.

Edit:

Late to this reply, but we didn't bother with this. It's not something I wanted to pay with my own money and it's definitely not something the university would be willing to pay for considering how cheap a new frog would be.

The guy I'm filling in for suspects they were underfed. He said something about the males regurgitating their food a lot? I don't know. If I saw that I'd just suspect they were being fed too much and feed them less anyway :shrug:

I've had adult Grammostola go almost a year without eating. Totally normal.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Chaosfeather posted:

I have a deposit down on a hatchling gargoyle gecko, and am slowly accumulating parts of the habitat to set up while it grows a little with the breeder.

Since I have night shift, my room is super, super dark during the day. I keep it that way to sleep, but can easily sleep with a light on (it's more the movement of the sun that wakes me than the light itself). With this in mind, I'm aware that a light isn't required to keep a gargoyle in SoCal since it's rather warm all year, but I think the gecko wouldn't enjoy it being dark almost 100% of the time.

What kind of lighting should I prepare for the little guy? What kind of schedule should I keep for it so it can be a happy critter?

It would be fine with ambient light from the room. Open one curtain to let some light in.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

So a month ago we got a Blue Eyed Lucy ball baby. Handsome devil, great eater. Been in QT. And a day ago I noticed him soaking in the water bowl with tiny black dots on him.

I saw one move.

Motherfucking goddamnit MITES. HOW THE poo poo DID HE GET MITES AFTER A MONTH QT.

I am not looking forward to treating the house. I kinda just want to spread diatom earth everywhere and look like a coke bin.

edit: I have not told my mom yet because she will flip out, and also chances are she brought this in. She likes to go 'looking' at snakes at poo poo pet stores and often holds them just because they are so pretty.

We have 17 snakes. This is gonna suck.

Provent-A-Mite and diatomaceous earth will do it. Need to hit them HARD and FAST then put the earth around every cage. That's the best way to nuke them in one go.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

Local herp store said they use the spray RID. Finding Provent a Mite with asap shipping is a bitch.
Can I throw food grade DE in the cages?

Never used RID so I don't know how safe it is. DE shouldn't do anything to the snake but I don't know if I'd throw it in the cage. I imagine it wouldn't hurt the snake at all but I don't know for sure

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I've been talking to my wife off and on for a while about getting a tarantula and she's agreed that I can as long as I start with a spiderling or juvenile! I plan on getting a beginner setup from jamiestarantulas.com in mid January since the site was recommended in this thread (I believe.) Is this a good idea? Also, how often are itty bitty spiders suppose to be fed?

I've never done any business with them, but I've heard good things. For slings, one of two decent sized prey items a week is fine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Welp, bought a new batch of 250 cricks. This time I'm using a layer of cocofiber and springtails and hoping for the best, in terms of smell.

You'd probably be better off starting a roach colony.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Quick update on my gargoyle gecko that would only eat if you hand fed it. After trying every flavor from pangea, we moved him to a plastic shoebox instead of his 10gal. He put on 3g this week without intervention feeding, so he may have just not felt safe feeding in his old tank.

Was there a lot of hiding places in the old tank? Was the food placed on the ground or elevated?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So this is what my bad molted GBB sling looks like:

Surprisingly it's still alive. I've read that I can perhaps mashup it's food and just place it on top of the food and hope for the best until next molt?

Pretty much all but 2 or 3 legs are messed up I think even the two grasping things by the fangs are messed up too.

2 or 3 functioning legs might be enough to survive, assuming it can feed. One of the big problems with a bad molt is that the fangs themselves can be deformed. Try offering a prekilled cricket or roach and see if it successfully eats. If it does, the chances of surviving are more in your favor.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

PathAsc posted:

My goddamn hornworms finally came in a few days ago. Sunny went absolutely batshit when he saw them, and knows where I keep them apparently judging by his antics.

I'm thinking about starting a few colonies of feeder bugs, what all types have you all done with success?

Lateralis roaches, dubia roaches, and discoid roaches are probably the easiest feeder insects to breed.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

PathAsc posted:

Thanks! I was thinking dubias, but do you have a preference overall for any specific reason?

For a beardie, dubias or discoids would be more filling.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bollock Monkey posted:

Can someone reassure me that I am worrying more about moving house with my axolotl than necessary?

We're putting him in a small plastic tank inside a cool bag with bubblewrap/towels for padding and driving for about 90 minutes. Really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I've moved with him once before with less caution but it was only about a mile and a half down the road.

I know it'll be fine. I just have pet anxiety because aqua dragons are difficult to move with.

Just keep it from getting too hot and it should be fine. People ship them through the mail all the time with no problem.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Whats an interesting beginner snake or lizard. I am thinking about getting a skink or a spiny tailed monitier because everything i have read them is that they are semi easy to care for(as in set up with cage) and they are sorta inquisitive. i have also been thinking about getting snake. i love balls and sands but i wanted to see what kinda of uncommon semi beginner snakes there were that are docile.

Ackie monitors are eating machines and I wouldn't suggest one for a beginner. They're not really too difficult to care for, but I think they're a better choice for once you've had some more experience. If you want an interesting, uncommon, semi-docile beginner snake, theres a ton of options available. Examples:

African house snake
Baird's ratsnake
Everglades ratsnake
Mexican pine snake (deppei jani)
Northern pine snake
Rosy boa
Most milksnakes
Irian jaya carpet python
Children's python
Spotted python
Woma python

Theres a lot more, these are just what I thought of off the top of my head

Big Centipede fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 10, 2018

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I appreciate it. Does anyone know how frillies are? I have talked to a bunch of people and gotten different responses.

Not good pets. They are very high strung.

If you want an uncommon lizard, look into pink tongue skinks or crocodile skinks

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i heard they were beardie like if you got them young. i was more thinking blue tongue skink.

Everybody I've known that had frillies had a lot of issues with them.

Blue tongues are cool as hell.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fish Noise posted:

Saw a black rat snake yesterday. The ones around here are real nice and never try to bite me.

Even when I have to hold them by injured areas to extract them from this bullshit:

I loving hate rabbit/deer netting.

Last but worst part of the tangle before I cut it away:

You can see the difference in coloration of the underside in front and behind where the netting's stuck, I assume from restricted circulation.

Let it go as soon as the netting was all off, figured it was stressed enough. Think it'll be alright?

Snakes are incredibly resilient. As long as it wasnt paralyzed, it'll probably survive.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Copper Vein posted:

I've kept a house gecko for almost a year and thought it was a male until she laid two eggs just last week. I thought something was up because she didn't eat for over a month and then one day there was an egg sitting next to her. I got her out to check on her and she laid another in my hand.

She's the oddest lizard, never been interested in eating insects since I've had her. I've been feeding her Pangea food for cresties for months. Right now I'm trying to get her interested in fruit flies.

Which species of house gecko?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Copper Vein posted:

I dunno, Mediterranean? My nephew got her from a pet store, then asked me to take her because he was no longer interested. He said they put crickets in her tank, but never actually saw her eat. I've seen her let crickets crawl on her face.

Here's some pics from when I first got her.

Hemidactylus frenatus. I have H turcicus loose in my animal room now

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Copper Vein posted:

"Loose"? What is it eating? I don't think there are enough bugs in my home for her to catch, and where would she get water?

Once it gets warmer, maybe I should think about turning her loose outside; I'm southern enough that it will be plenty warm. I don't think that she has gotten any healthier under my care.

They're an invasive species here. They snuck in from outside. I breed a lot of insects and have a lot of plants in the room. Plenty of indian meal moths flying around and some of my roach colonies have ventilation holes big enough for them to get in. I keep trying to catch them, but they're fast.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I understand the sentiment in regards to feeding invasives, but be realistic here. One guy occasionally feeding the brown anoles in his backyard is not going to make any impact on the already ruined ecosystem of Florida. If he was feeding burms or tegus or those horrible little monkeys that established themselves, I could see reprimanding him, but for brown anoles? Nah.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Leperflesh posted:

The only way to effect broader change is to have a consistent and persistent message. You don't make exceptions to that message for one person, just because that one person's actions are a drop in the bucket, or they're a swell guy, or they didn't mean any harm. It's true that you will not change a lot of people's minds, but if a lot of people communicate the same message consistently everywhere, then it becomes possible for broad attitudes and consequent actions to shift over time.

You make a good point, and I agree with you in principle, but I still think the reaction this guy got was a bit overboard. Brown anoles are well established. They're not going anywhere. Any serious attempts at controlling their numbers would probably cause just as many problems for green anoles. Not to mention that on the hierarchy of damaging invasives, brown anoles are going to rank pretty low compared to heavy hitters like Argentine fire ants or feral cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Imo the worst part of keeping dart frogs is breeding fruit flies as feeders. I suggest doing that for a bit before deciding on getting the frogs. Fruit flies are very annoying imo.