Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really as good as since Cagliostro is in a class of it's own but Secret of Mamo is Lupin at its funky, psychedelic, surreal 70's best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cagliostro is a great movie, but it's also important to note that it's quite different from pretty much anything else Lupin. I believe Monkey Punch didn't like it very much because it was so light and "un-Lupin."

Edit: Lupin the Third Page

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Are any of the other movies as good as Castle of Cagliostro? Would like to see some other stuff before I devote the time to a whole series.

Secret/Mystery/whatever the heck they wanna call it of Mamo is weird, but it's the kind of weird that really clicks with me.

Episode 0: First Contact is also enjoyable, though not on the level of those two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the tv show isn't a commitment because you can just pop an episode in whenever you want. It's as much of a commitment as like, The Simpsons is.

Which is good because honestly the track record for feature-length Lupin stuff is pretty shoddy.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
It's not got the Miyazaki level storytelling, but of the material that follows Cagliostro's blueprint, Fuma Conspiracy is probably the closest thing I've seen in terms of tone and quality.

Professor Irony fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 28, 2015

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Is there a good legal way to watch it?

you can watch it on Funimation.com Their website is a whole lot better these days then it used to be.

Their app still sucks though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fujiko especially is pretty much a completely different character from the way she is in most everything else

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

vibratingsheep posted:

Whatever you guys do

Do not

repeat

Do not

watch the live action movie from last year. It tried really hard to be The Fast and the Lupinous and failed at being either. I watched it on a plane for free and went "Well. That was certainly a movie."

It kind of felt like they took an unrelated movie an changed a few names and costumes. It had some cool stuff though:

Spoilerly:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I just watched Jigen's Gravestone. It owned. Wondering what the end part was about. Was it a reference to the Fujiko series that I may have forgotten about, or a tease for a future project?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a reference the Secret of Mamo movie, placing Jigen's Gravstone as a prequel to it. I guess Koike is a fan?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, I see. Haven't seen Secret of Mamo. Probably should.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Mine Fujiko is the best Lupin series actually. You can tell right from the start when Fujiko is naked in the opening song, and it just gets better from there

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Mine Fujiko is the best Lupin series actually. You can tell right from the start when Fujiko is naked in the opening song, and it just gets better from there

The first series has that episode where they punk zenigata by filling a shopping mall with people in lupin masks and it's crazy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also that one where they own the time traveller

Green jacket lupin is cool.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Sharkopath posted:

The first series has that episode where they punk zenigata by filling a shopping mall with people in lupin masks and it's crazy

It has many great episodes, but it doesn't have as much naked fujiko. Overall, I'd give it a 4.5/5 and the fujiko series a 5/5, for that reason

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite first series episode is the one where Lupin goes to jail and Fujiko keeps trying to to break him out but Jigen keeps stopping her plans.

One of my favorite Lupin episodes, in fact.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It has many great episodes, but it doesn't have as much naked fujiko. Overall, I'd give it a 4.5/5 and the fujiko series a 5/5, for that reason

Im gonna watch it

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
It wasn't my favourite one, but I love how they opened green jacket with an episode in which Lupin takes out a criminal mastermind by flooding his ladies' toilet.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

My favorite first series episode is the one where Lupin goes to jail and Fujiko keeps trying to to break him out but Jigen keeps stopping her plans.

One of my favorite Lupin episodes, in fact.

thats a great episode. i'm planning on showing it to a friend along with some other things to explain why lupin owns.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Ccs posted:

New TV series is coming out this Spring headed up by this guy: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=450

Looking at that record, it's gonna be awesome.

quote:

Sonic X (TV) : Key Animation

I'm ready

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-K_blLiv5k

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

this is a tv series and not a special or movie right

because drat it looks nicer than the last like 3 specials (not including jigen's gravestone)
i'm pretty surprised that the designs/style draw so heavily from the classic green jacket series look though, it's like almost jarring given the carryover style stuff from the mine fujiko series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of Jigen's Gravestone.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I'm so glad this series decided to go the stylish as gently caress route with is latest installments.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 13 of the new show is by the guy who did Gurren Lagann episode 4.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

There is no way this show will live up to the hype that just burst out of my chest. Maaaaaaan that looks like some stylish stuff right now.

Also, it never ceases to amuse me that the characters with the most drastic changes show to show are Goemon and Fujiko. Fujiko changing makes sense, because "anime ladiez" but Goemon has had so many different looks over the decades that I'd be interested to see if his number of redesigns comes close to Fujiko's.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

This Looks Good & Cool

Lupin owns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Looks kinda like they are giving Lupin a long-term love interest other than Fujiko, though I kind of doubt the marriage scene is as it appears.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no way that isn't part of a caper.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope we get some solid Zenigata eps, poor guy always gets shafted in the specials.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

I hope we get some solid Zenigata eps, poor guy always gets shafted in the specials.

Well he got to give some of the shaft in Fujiko Mine too. or rather 'into'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Well he got to give some of the shaft in Fujiko Mine too. or rather 'into'

Oh ho ho.

I wish we got to see more of that take on Zenigata, it was a cool change in how they handled him.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Looks kinda like they are giving Lupin a long-term love interest other than Fujiko, though I kind of doubt the marriage scene is as it appears.

Since it looks like the series is set in Italy (possibly trying to do the movie standard of finding some ancient, culturally specific artefact, but spread the search some more), she's probably a local that Lupin takes interest in because of her connection to whatever he's after. Wedding is almost certainly gonna be a scheme followed by a dramatic and/or comedic escape.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Since it looks like the series is set in Italy (possibly trying to do the movie standard of finding some ancient, culturally specific artefact, but spread the search some more), she's probably a local that Lupin takes interest in because of her connection to whatever he's after. Wedding is almost certainly gonna be a scheme followed by a dramatic and/or comedic escape.

Oh, it isn't like Lupin would be all that interested in some random girl. She is definitely gonna be related to his profession in some way. But hey, why not have a real love interest for a season? I always got the impression that Lupin was more about chasing after Fujiko than the woman herself. That whole deal is fun, but it is never gonna go anywhere.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

When is this actually starting?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Autumn, unless you live in Italy maybe.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Autumn, unless you live in Italy maybe.

The Italian Lupin dub is the best Lupin dub no exaggeration.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Since I live in Italy, I'll be nice and provide subtitles. (Provided I can find the videos to work on, anyway.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Can I say I really like the artstyle of the new series? I love the thick linework, and in places it almost reminds me of the Fujiko/Gravestone linework, especially in Fujiko's hair.

Also, gently caress any haters, blue jacket rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Waffleman_ posted:

Can I say I really like the artstyle of the new series? I love the thick linework, and in places it almost reminds me of the Fujiko/Gravestone linework, especially in Fujiko's hair.

I think a lot of people are liking the artstyle. Its basically the 70's style but with modern production values, as opposed to the somewhat bulkier proportions favoured by the TV specials, but still a great deal more colourful and... I wanna say less 'sketchy' than the Fujiko anime? Not in the sense of its content but more the aesthetic, with the stencil like lines everywhere.

• Locked thread