Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i forgot about the car episode entirely actually. i also apparently missed the nyx episode before that one so i was thinking of the last ep and the episode where they eat dinner w leonardo

now i gotta watch this nyx episode..

edit:
ok the nyx episode was great i take it all back

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been on a Lupin kick recently. I just finished Castle of Cagliostro, what should I look at next?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I've been on a Lupin kick recently. I just finished Castle of Cagliostro, what should I look at next?

The currently airing series is v good

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do I need to start from somewhere for a continuing storyline or is it all just self-contained episodic stories?

E: is Lupin the Third Part 4 the current anime?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do I need to start from somewhere for a continuing storyline or is it all just self-contained episodic stories?

Just start from episode 1 of the New series if you already know who Lupin and his gang are

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Almost entirely self contained stories, I think the only series that had anything like an overarching storyline is The Woman Called Fujiko Mine from a couple of years ago.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xelkelvos posted:

Just start from episode 1 of the New series if you already know who Lupin and his gang are

Lupin is a womanizing gentleman thief, Jigen is his chain-smoking gangster buddy, Goemon is the obligatory serious samurai, Fujiko is the on again off again love interest femme fatale, and Zenigata is the Interpol officer eternally chasing after Lupin. Do I got it all?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Lupin is a womanizing gentleman thief, Jigen is his chain-smoking gangster buddy, Goemon is the obligatory serious samurai, Fujiko is the on again off again femme fatale, and Zenigata is the Interpol officer eternally chasing after Lupin. Do I got it all?

Lupin rarely gets any women, Jigen hasn't been a gangster for a while he's pretty much just a great guy, but close enough. But yeah you can watch any Lupin, I recommend trying the original 23 episode series. Half those episodes are directed by Miyazaki and Takahata of Studio Ghibli for example, green jacket like Cagliostro. And a lot of those TV movie specials they'd been making every year for the past several decades are really fun too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: is Lupin the Third Part 4 the current anime?

Part 4 is the current one yeah. It does have an ongoing storyline inbetween the self-contained episodes but it's one of two exceptions to the norm in that regard (The other being The Woman Called Fujiko Mine)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also important to note that since you recently watched Cagliostro, The Woman Named Fujiko Mine is on the exact opposite end of the tone spectrum when it comes to Lupin. Like, they're right at the endpoints of that line.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fujiko Mine is awesome, but I really wouldn't suggest it for someone just getting into Lupin.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, I'm pretty much a newbie to Lupin. I've had a passing familiarity with the series for a while now but didn't actually try watching any of it until now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

Fujiko Mine is awesome, but I really wouldn't suggest it for someone just getting into Lupin.

It was the second Lupin I watched after Cagliostro and I loved it, so much.

Give it a shot, and if you aren't digging it you can always come back to it later.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Devil Tesla posted:

It was the second Lupin I watched after Cagliostro and I loved it, so much.

Give it a shot, and if you aren't digging it you can always come back to it later.

I think I glanced at it when it first came out. I'm no prude, but hachi machi were there a whole lotta titties up in there. It's pretty pervy!

E: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xAn37vgLA6g

Hell yeah.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 7, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Most of the nudity is in the first quarter to a half, and I think Fujiko does it a bit more tastefully than a lot of anime does it.

That doesn't include Jigen's Gravestone, though. That was just weird.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please stop being weird about bare breasts in anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't....think I was being weird?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't....think I was being weird?

You were okay

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, I was just a bit confused as to who you were talking to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He was preemptively talking about me, cause I get crazy about anime tittays. :unsmigghh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mine Fujiko show has a killer style. I also really love the action in the current series when it starts to look like a squigglevision show and Nyx is going berserk on MI6

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some affection about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some affection about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

It depends on the series/movie in question but he generally gets less screentime than the rest of the cast.

The Fuma Conspiracy is the thing to watch if you want more Goemon though, and while it's not directed by Miyazaki a lot of the other folks that worked on Cagliostro were involved in its creation.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some emotion about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

He gets some standout stuff here and there, they don't forget about ol Goemon. For specials, I remember Seven Days Rhapsody having fun Goemon stuff. Lupin III: Dragon of Doom (aka Burn, Zantetsuken! named after Goemon's sword) is another good Goemon focused special.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea why Lupin is apparently so wildly popular in Italy?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any idea why Lupin is apparently so wildly popular in Italy?

As the thread's resident italian, I can answer that!

Nostalgia, mostly. Anime have a very long history of being dubbed in Italian (name an obscure anime from the 60s, 70s or 80s, any of them; chances are it has an Italian dub, especially if you're talking about mecha series), and people who are 30, 40, even 50 years old today have very fond memories of growing up watching Lupin being chased by Zenigata. It helps that Lupin is actually a very good series so the nostalgia is justified, instead of being "back in my day anime were actually good! :bahgawd:"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Y'all have listed some Goemon-centric movies, but I need to know the Jigen-centric and, if they exist, Zenigata-centric ones.

The best episode of Lupin is the one where Zenigata steals his ancestor's trademark coin and then feels so guilty that he becomes a master criminal so that he can break in to replace it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone, which is a kinda-sequel to Fujiko Mine about an assassin who has Jigen on his hitlist.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just started watching Lupin III Part 4. It's pretty entertaining and very stylish!

e: Just finished episode 3. This loving owns. :hellyeah:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 8, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Y'all have listed some Goemon-centric movies, but I need to know the Jigen-centric and, if they exist, Zenigata-centric ones.

The best episode of Lupin is the one where Zenigata steals his ancestor's trademark coin and then feels so guilty that he becomes a master criminal so that he can break in to replace it.

not really
at least, not in the way that goemon tends to have ties in the 'goemon centric' movies
beyond the aforementioned gravestone the closest ones i can think of are 'from russia with love' and 'seven days rhapsody' and both of those are just alright, nothing too great
first contact kinda-sorta has some jigen focus due to it but it's not great

i think they tried to offset the lack of goemon episodes as a whole w/ those movies considering theres like exponentially more jigen and zenigata centric episodes in the running series

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 8, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fereydun posted:

i checked and yep there they are
blue jacket series owns owns owns god drat it's good
edit:
watch it fuckers

I just got to this part. The series is so good, but then there are moments like these that really put it over the top.

Lupin III is so loving good, you guys! :f5:

e: It also helps that I'm super into the jazzy groovy 70s-style music too. I'm hooked. I'm so glad I finally got into Lupin III now.

e2: Holy christ that bomb defusal scene. :psyboom:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 9, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It sure was weird and out-of-character that Zenigata sleeps with Fujiko in A Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Also, I think I'm in the minority of liking the series early on (even accounting for the gross rape sequence nvm that was Jigen's Gravestone) and thinking it went to poo poo in the last few episodes when they started doing a more serialized story. It was close to nonsensical and then they just threw a bunch of psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland imagery in there to obfuscate that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there an origins story on why Zenigata started chasing Lupin in the first place? Or has it always been an eternal chase that arose ex nihilo?

e: There's some genuinely funny bits here and there in Lupin III.

Example:

Lupin: "If you want to keep me in, you need to at least have steel all around me."

*beat, scene transition*

Zenigata: "One meter thick steel, just as you requested."

I'm still really enjoying this series, seriously wish it wouldn't end. :neckbeard:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 9, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

It sure was weird and out-of-character that Zenigata sleeps with Fujiko in A Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Also, I think I'm in the minority of liking the series early on (even accounting for the gross rape sequence nvm that was Jigen's Gravestone) and thinking it went to poo poo in the last few episodes when they started doing a more serialized story. It was close to nonsensical and then they just threw a bunch of psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland imagery in there to obfuscate that.

well, if it helps that's pretty much how i feel to a degree. trying to go for an overarching story vs. the character focus episodes really caused it to suffer as the char. centric episodes were top notch- they all have a very specific tone to them that's missing from the last 2 episodes.
i dunno if it was really nonsensical though- i understood perfectly what was happening and it was pretty lupin-esque in mixing supernatural/technological aspects to bring on a crazy conclusion but something about the last 2 episodes manage to miss any kind of unifying or appealing tone- they're quite bland despite really strong visual stuff in some of 'em so they really miss the mark as a capstone to the series being mostly comprised of really strong character pieces that meld w/ the whole thematic deal about fujiko's shifting nature as a character

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is there an origins story on why Zenigata started chasing Lupin in the first place? Or has it always been an eternal chase that arose ex nihilo?

i guess first contact is kinda this, but it's pretty much the latter

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Mikl posted:

As the thread's resident italian, I can answer that!

Nostalgia, mostly. Anime have a very long history of being dubbed in Italian (name an obscure anime from the 60s, 70s or 80s, any of them; chances are it has an Italian dub, especially if you're talking about mecha series), and people who are 30, 40, even 50 years old today have very fond memories of growing up watching Lupin being chased by Zenigata. It helps that Lupin is actually a very good series so the nostalgia is justified, instead of being "back in my day anime were actually good! :bahgawd:"

Basically that - Lupin series were in constant rotation on Italian TV throughout the 80s and 90s, making for at least two generations of Lupin fans. It also helps that Lupin is as awesome as old timey anime gets.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also have to say I love Jigen's voice. I don't know what it is, but it really stands out for me.

E: And I'm assuming Lupin III Part 4 is a love letter to the Italian fan base considering it's primarily set in San Marino and Italy?

E2: Something else I really like about Lupin and his gang is that they know exactly how close they can get to the line of life and death and not cross it to fool the people they're trying to outwit (eg Zenigata, etc). They plan for it a lot and it shows a lot of intelligence and control, I love it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The dubs for Lupin will always be my preference, really. Not only do I prefer the VA, but I feel that the loose translation and improvisation is more suited to preserving the feel of a series like Lupin. I was real glad to hear that Part 4 is getting an English dub.

bondster
May 6, 2007

On the next, and probably final episode of Part IV:

Lupin breaks into Wily's Castle :v:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bondster posted:

On the next, and probably final episode of Part IV:

Lupin breaks into Wily's Castle :v:

it's ok, the 2016 special 'italian game' which is based off pt4/produced by pt4 dudes is still untranslated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Out of curiosity, are there any (good) Lupin the Third video games?

• Locked thread