Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been on a Lupin kick recently. I just finished Castle of Cagliostro, what should I look at next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do I need to start from somewhere for a continuing storyline or is it all just self-contained episodic stories?

E: is Lupin the Third Part 4 the current anime?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xelkelvos posted:

Just start from episode 1 of the New series if you already know who Lupin and his gang are

Lupin is a womanizing gentleman thief, Jigen is his chain-smoking gangster buddy, Goemon is the obligatory serious samurai, Fujiko is the on again off again love interest femme fatale, and Zenigata is the Interpol officer eternally chasing after Lupin. Do I got it all?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, I'm pretty much a newbie to Lupin. I've had a passing familiarity with the series for a while now but didn't actually try watching any of it until now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Devil Tesla posted:

It was the second Lupin I watched after Cagliostro and I loved it, so much.

Give it a shot, and if you aren't digging it you can always come back to it later.

I think I glanced at it when it first came out. I'm no prude, but hachi machi were there a whole lotta titties up in there. It's pretty pervy!

E: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xAn37vgLA6g

Hell yeah.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 7, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some affection about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea why Lupin is apparently so wildly popular in Italy?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just started watching Lupin III Part 4. It's pretty entertaining and very stylish!

e: Just finished episode 3. This loving owns. :hellyeah:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 8, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fereydun posted:

i checked and yep there they are
blue jacket series owns owns owns god drat it's good
edit:
watch it fuckers

I just got to this part. The series is so good, but then there are moments like these that really put it over the top.

Lupin III is so loving good, you guys! :f5:

e: It also helps that I'm super into the jazzy groovy 70s-style music too. I'm hooked. I'm so glad I finally got into Lupin III now.

e2: Holy christ that bomb defusal scene. :psyboom:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 9, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there an origins story on why Zenigata started chasing Lupin in the first place? Or has it always been an eternal chase that arose ex nihilo?

e: There's some genuinely funny bits here and there in Lupin III.

Example:

Lupin: "If you want to keep me in, you need to at least have steel all around me."

*beat, scene transition*

Zenigata: "One meter thick steel, just as you requested."

I'm still really enjoying this series, seriously wish it wouldn't end. :neckbeard:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 9, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also have to say I love Jigen's voice. I don't know what it is, but it really stands out for me.

E: And I'm assuming Lupin III Part 4 is a love letter to the Italian fan base considering it's primarily set in San Marino and Italy?

E2: Something else I really like about Lupin and his gang is that they know exactly how close they can get to the line of life and death and not cross it to fool the people they're trying to outwit (eg Zenigata, etc). They plan for it a lot and it shows a lot of intelligence and control, I love it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Out of curiosity, are there any (good) Lupin the Third video games?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished the Lupin III Part IV series.

A good series, but one plot hole I noticed: da Vinci specifically destroyed Nix's supersonic abilities in the "Dream of Italy" part 2 episode, but he's shown to have it again in "World Dissection" part one. Maybe it's because Nix is in his own Inception-esque dream, but it just seems like an oversight by the writers to me.

Otherwise, good stuff. I'll look for an OVA or something for my next Lupin fix. Arrivederci for now, Lupin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did you guys realize that there's two more episodes after World Dissection? I thought World Dissection was supposed to be the series finale, but I guess not.

• Locked thread