Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

i lied this is actually the jigen appreciation station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kleptobot posted:

Will Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone ever get released stateside? Also is it any good?

Discotek picked it up and they're even putting out a dub for it.

It's pretty cool, I wish Koike could direct more Lupin stuff because even though it's half the time as the usual special, it's way more memorable than most of the Lupin tv specials. It's incredibly refreshing to see a new Lupin entry that doesn't make the cast into unquestionably good guys, I had feared that Fujiko Mine was gonna be a fluke since after that they went back to the same old bland formula for the tv specials.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 18, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

yeah the tone that koike's stuff has for lupin is such a step up from the usual crap that gets released yearly- princess of the breeze and another page were astoundingly disappointing after the tv show.
the movie is pretty much like my perfect version of a random lupin episode rather than a full on tv special or movie- i really wish he'd direct a lupin-oriented series since jigen's gravestone pretty much revels in the really adventurous and stylish tone that every lupin scene had in the mine fujiko tv series

also not enough jigen appreciating in this thread

I'm hoping that it's an indication of what to expect from the blue jacket tv series coming sometime this year. if the episodes are even half as good as gravestone then I'll be pretty pleased.

Or at the very least maybe they'll give us some good Zenigata episodes. Poor guy is always squandered in those specials :(

Here's me appreciating Jigen threatening Conan.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Lupin the Third is good and I am sad to admit I have not watched as much of it as I should.

It's really hard to find out what to watch after you get through the usual recommendations because boy howdy there is a fair share of dull, bland Lupin stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been going through the 3rd Lupin series lately and, well,

http://www.hulu.com/watch/535773

Everybody, watch episode 18. Or at the very least jump to the 18 minute mark and watch what happens. It's loving amazing. 80s Lupin owns.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pointlessone posted:

I miss 80s anime. it was the little small detail things that made it great, like Lupin getting handsy really quick with the bunny girl while getting shot at from the disco minigun, all at an otherwise 4-5 frames per second.

It's really a shame that pink jacket Lupin gets a bum rep because of that bad movie, because the animation work in the tv series is just wonderful. Character designs can be a little different from episode to episode and they put a lot of thought into plenty of little things. Really helps in selling that goofy tone and it's a shame that we'll never see a Lupin project like it again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Professor Irony posted:

It's not great, but I honestly don't think Gold Babylon is that bad. I feel it's marginally better than Nostradamus, as the cinema films go.

I don't think it's the worst thing ever, and it does have its moments. But I feel like a lot of the film winds up being overly self-indulgent. Best example: that goddamn chase scene at the beginning, holy poo poo that feels like an eternity.

Mind you, I'd take it over plenty of the tv specials because for all its flaws Babylon isn't forgettable and that's a huge point in its favor.

Anyways even ignoring the quality, it's so drastically different from most other Lupin stuff. Lots of people check out Cagliostro as their introduction to the series and then they might see something like Babylon and get turned off. And that's a shame since overall pink jacket Lupin is pretty fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've heard that Gold of Babylon goes down a lot better if you've seen some of his other stuff. I do plan on checking it out sometime, he sounds like a cool director based on what little I know about him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh sick, it's on Hulu Plus and I never activated that free trial so I can catch it that way. Gonna check that poo poo out this weekend.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

What are the usual recommendations?

Castle of Cagliostro is of course the one people always recommend first because hey, it's tough to go wrong with Miyazaki. After that there's not much of a general consensus but Secret of Mamo, Fuma Conspiracy, and Episode 0: First Contact are a few others I generally see tossed around. And of course the recent tv series Fujiko Mine is talked about a lot for a reason; it was a big shakeup from the usual Lupin formula.

After that the usual recs get kinda hazy and people just say "check out the various tv series I guess". But they're not wrong since all of the tv series are cool in their own way!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rudoku posted:

That pilot was interesting, but I'm glad it never came to be. Lupin's great x 3 grandson going straight, and hanging out with a Jigen and Goemon (a Samurai Trooper Goemon at that)?

IIRC it was gonna be a French-Japanese co-production so I guess the idea is they didn't want to put out a cartoon where a thief is the good guy? Would have been neat to see what Lupin's future would have been if that got a full series.

While we're talking about pilots, everyone should take a look at the original Lupin III pilot, from all the way back in '69! It's pretty neat stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2aaLMme644

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fujiko and a good chunk of the various other Lupin tv series are all on Hulu.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Are any of the other movies as good as Castle of Cagliostro? Would like to see some other stuff before I devote the time to a whole series.

Secret/Mystery/whatever the heck they wanna call it of Mamo is weird, but it's the kind of weird that really clicks with me.

Episode 0: First Contact is also enjoyable, though not on the level of those two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the tv show isn't a commitment because you can just pop an episode in whenever you want. It's as much of a commitment as like, The Simpsons is.

Which is good because honestly the track record for feature-length Lupin stuff is pretty shoddy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite first series episode is the one where Lupin goes to jail and Fujiko keeps trying to to break him out but Jigen keeps stopping her plans.

One of my favorite Lupin episodes, in fact.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope we get some solid Zenigata eps, poor guy always gets shafted in the specials.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Well he got to give some of the shaft in Fujiko Mine too. or rather 'into'

Oh ho ho.

I wish we got to see more of that take on Zenigata, it was a cool change in how they handled him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm hyped and I will watch that first episode raw if I have to!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

Titles and blurbs of the first four episodes airing tonight, spoilered in case you don't want to read them.

Ep.1 - Lupin III's Wedding
Lupin is in San Marino to marry Rebecca, heiress to an important family in the country. A local tradition means that the wedding must be held in the presence of the captain-regents and especially of the precious royal crown. Guarding this precious crown is Zenigata, helped by the local police, who received Lupin's usual taunting message, but this time it seems Lupin is not involved.

Ep.2 - The Fake Fantasista
Mario Brozzi, a footballer for a San Marino team, is blackmailed by the mafioso Riccardo Mondini with clinical records according to which the footballer used doping. Helped by Fujiko, Brozzi gets in touch with Lupin and asks him to steal the clinical records from Mondini, or else he won't be able to play in the league's final game.

Ep.3 - 0.2% Chance of Survival
After the discovery of a fragment of Marie Antoniette's necklace, Lupin's gang is kept under surveillance by MI6 to recover the ancient jewel. Agent Nix is a difficult adversary for Jigen and Lupin, but the arrival in the city of the Prince of England, who is visiting Rebecca, will overturn the situation.

Ep.4 - Sharpshooter
Jigen visits a hospital to have a toothache healed, and finds out that in the city he's visiting the population is kept under the thumb by a certain Eric's gang of weapons traffickers, who is extorting protection money from them. Many people want Eric dead, but maybe the only person able to bring an end to him and his gang is Jigen.

Super pumped for tonight, btw :dance:

I'm hyped, for that Jigen episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh dang I didn't notice that all four were airing! I tuned out after the first one.

Oh well, I don't understand a lick of Italian anyways :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Castle of Cagliostro is one of the best ways to get into the series

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Always.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some of the Italian episodes were dual audio so I watched them awhile back and yeah, it's not holding up to Fujiko Mine.

But that's okay, it's entertaining enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish the ending to the Jigen-centric episode wasn't hella lame, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Castle of Cagliostro is a good place to start.

If you can stand old animation I really dig the first tv series (up on Hulu and CR). The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, the tv series from a few years ago, is also quite good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Zenigata episode is incredibly good, and I think it's one of my favorite Lupin episodes. At the very least it's absolutely my favorite of the episodes in the new series that I've seen thus far.

It's really cool to see him get some some time in the spotlight, poor guy has had it rough in the past few decades. He's usually a non-factor in the tv specials and while I dug Fujiko Mine's take on him I wish they could have done more with him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Condiv posted:

that episode where zenigata caught lupin and then was sad cause lupin was gonna be executed

That's one of my favorite Lupin eps!

Episode 4 of the very first series, if anyone wants to watch it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

the first 3 eps are wack but everything past ranges from great to good
its pretty deceptive

the 4th episode would be bad too but it's a jigen episode therefore it is baseline good

I think I would have liked the Jigen episode more if it were a Goemon episode

Specifically the way he gets out of that situation feels like a Goemon solution, not a Jigen solution

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The circus episode of newpin was not very good, to me.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The following episode with the rich widow and Zenigata is good, though.

:same:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I've been on a Lupin kick recently. I just finished Castle of Cagliostro, what should I look at next?

The currently airing series is v good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do I need to start from somewhere for a continuing storyline or is it all just self-contained episodic stories?

E: is Lupin the Third Part 4 the current anime?

Part 4 is the current one yeah. It does have an ongoing storyline inbetween the self-contained episodes but it's one of two exceptions to the norm in that regard (The other being The Woman Called Fujiko Mine)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some affection about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

It depends on the series/movie in question but he generally gets less screentime than the rest of the cast.

The Fuma Conspiracy is the thing to watch if you want more Goemon though, and while it's not directed by Miyazaki a lot of the other folks that worked on Cagliostro were involved in its creation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iirc even tho the director of Legend of the Gold of Babylon gets credited for pink jacket overall, he only worked on a few eps. And that was one of them so that explains why it's weird as hell.

Pink jacket Lupin is v underrated, there's a ton of creativity going on and the animation is expressive as hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like pink jacket's bad rep is mainly due to the movie, which sucks because the actual tv series isn't *that* weird!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel that even though the quality bounces up and down it's still generally enjoyable enough that it's worth watching the entire series since it's only 50ish episodes, but there are some good best-of lists floating around there if you just wanna pick and choose.

My personal recommendation is episode 18, mainly because what happens in the last few minutes is one of the more amazing things I've seen in Lupin. Seriously, everyone should watch that episode. It's fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Show Time Is Death Feeling sounds like an X-Japan album, I'll remember to check that one out. (posting this joke to confirm that's the right ep :D)

I'm probably never going to watch all 50 eps, there's too much stuff out there. I've seen every Lupin movie/special though at least.

If that's the case here's a decent list of recommended eps written by an animator who decided to watch all of the pink jacket episodes, he watched them before there were official subs so ignore his comment about the writing, the old subs were complete garbage.

quote:

Whew! So that's the whole series done. It was a pretty fun watch. All the variety in the designs, animation and tone made it consistently interesting, albeit schizophrenic. Some episodes were a bit of a slog, but they were worth it to get to the gems. And speaking of which, I know some people have said they've been reading these posts to find out which episodes are worth watching, so here are my picks for must-watch episodes:

#11 has some really funny stuff in it.

#13 is just so weird it has to be seen to be believed. Plus maybe if you watch it, you can tell me what it's supposed to mean.

#22 has a lot of great animation.

#25 is definitely one of the best ones, with a great chase.

#34 has that hilarious sequence where everyone in the city is trying to shoot Lupin and Jigen. It also has the immortal "there is curry over there?" subtitle.

#36 isn't great, but it's interesting because Tatsuo Ryuno gets so sloppy at times that it raises the question "just how far off-model can you go before it starts to look like a completely different character?"

#37 actually has an interesting story where Zenigata becomes super-competent. While that idea had been done before in Lupin, it still stands out.

#40 is possibly my favourite from the whole series. It's got that great scene where Lupin is trying to sneak through a deadly security system, and then somehow gets into a subway tunnel with Zenigata. Almost the entire thing is drawn by Tatsuo Ryuno.

#44 has a funny story where lots of kids come up to Lupin claiming that he's their father, and he has no idea whether it's true or not. Then the end of the episode has an awesome chase sequence.

#49 has a story that's simple and goofy, allowing for lots of fantastic animation set pieces.

#50 has a ton of hilarious drawings, and next to #40 is probably the craziest-looking in the whole series.

The main thing to remember with the series is that the writing and direction are rarely all that great, so as long as you keep your expectations about the story quality low, you can have a lot of fun watching the animation. And sometimes the stories are actually pretty good. But hoo lawdy lawd, those subtitles were a nightmare.

• Locked thread