Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mikl posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but almost all Italian anime openings until the end of the '90s were Really loving Good.
I love the French theme song for Nicky Larson (City Hunter). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5nIp4CTS0

Very very pumped for this new Lupin series, all things Lupin are worth a watch. He's a groovy guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm super pumped for this, gonna wait for the Japanese voice cast version in October. Gonna be groovy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll licensed Parts 1, 2, and 3 tonight.

Come on, do the new one.

Very cool. The stuff of part 2 after Geneon or whoever stopped releasing them didn't have any good subtitled versions that I know of. I do love the dvd set of part 1 from a couple years back though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The first series is 23 episodes (1971), great great stuff. The second half or so of them by the founders of studio Ghibli, Miyazaki and Takahata. The first eps by Osumi are incredible too. In a word, it's groovy. Way better than the second series in my book.

Check out the countless movies and specials too. Needless to say, see Castle of Cagliostro!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dug about half of Fujiko, but overall I like most Lupin stuff a bit better than that one. The whole main plot with the Owl dudes didn't really do much for me. A few of the more serious episodes also fell flat for me. I did love some of the episodes though, and it's overall style.

This new series looks incredible, I should hop on soon! I'll probably wait a bit for it to get going in Japan, though there's the first four in Japanese.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoubleDonut posted:

Alright, thanks. I'll probably start out with Castle of Cagliostro and see if I can get into the older stuff on CR.

Can't go wrong with Miyazaki. I also dig a lot of the specials, 90 minute TV movies they made every year for the past few decades. To name a few I dig, Episode 0 'First Contact', Sweet Lost Night, and Missed by a Dollar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Lupin is a womanizing gentleman thief, Jigen is his chain-smoking gangster buddy, Goemon is the obligatory serious samurai, Fujiko is the on again off again femme fatale, and Zenigata is the Interpol officer eternally chasing after Lupin. Do I got it all?

Lupin rarely gets any women, Jigen hasn't been a gangster for a while he's pretty much just a great guy, but close enough. But yeah you can watch any Lupin, I recommend trying the original 23 episode series. Half those episodes are directed by Miyazaki and Takahata of Studio Ghibli for example, green jacket like Cagliostro. And a lot of those TV movie specials they'd been making every year for the past several decades are really fun too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does Goemon get more of a leading role in other episodes/series? He was barely in Cagliostro at all (although it was pretty funny when he cut off Lupin's burning clothes mid-air and then complained about how his sword shouldn't be used for this kind of stuff, plus slipping some emotion about Carlise and immediately feeling embarrassed about it).

He gets some standout stuff here and there, they don't forget about ol Goemon. For specials, I remember Seven Days Rhapsody having fun Goemon stuff. Lupin III: Dragon of Doom (aka Burn, Zantetsuken! named after Goemon's sword) is another good Goemon focused special.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Folt The Bolt posted:

Just watched and rewatched the entirety of Part 4 (when it came up on Crunchyroll) as someone who's entirely new to the Lupin series, and holy poo poo, I really hope we'll get a Part V down the line somewhere!

(And more Jigen! And Zenigata!)

I think I may have become a Lupin III addict! Anyone know if there's any particular must-watch episodes/movies/whatever of Lupin III?

If you haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro yet (Miyazaki's first movie), check that out! In general I've enjoyed watching most Lupin, you can't go wrong diving in. I love the original series from 1971 which has half the episodes directed by Studio Ghibli's Miyazaki and Takahata as well. I find a lot of the TV specials made all through the 90s and 2000s to be great. Episode 0 First Contact, Sweet Lost Night, Seven Days Rhapsody, Alcatraz Connection, Missed By A Dollar, Angel's Tactics, stuff like that.

For must watch episodes, the second episode of the first series, "The Man They Called a Magician", I find very cool. The fourth episode "One Chance to Breakout" too, in general that 23 episode series is really solid, great stuff.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 8, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Professor Irony posted:

After being a bit let down by the latter half of Part IV, I decided to pick up Part 3 again the other night and I hit the terminally weird "Play a Joke on the Variation". Does anyone know if that one was a compressed adaptation of something from the manga? It makes virtually no narrative sense on its own, but it's so aggressively bizarre that there's something strangely compelling about it.

Sounds interesting! I think you've hit on what I'm gonna guess is the least watched thing in the Lupin canon, I've only watched a couple episodes of Part 3 myself. They weren't bad or anything, I could watch more of it, but my guess is not many other people in this thread have seen that. Bizarre does make me wanna see it though. I haven't even seen all of Part 2, what with it being 155 episodes, and I think the later ones only had dicey subtitles for a while.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When would you say it hits it's stride by the way? I've seen the first couple, looking at the wiki episode 4 features pirates and Fujiko's telepathy? That sounds interesting/wacky. Granted either way, in a perfect world, I'd like to watch all Lupin that exists at some point. For my taste the first series is the most groovy though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Srice posted:

I feel that even though the quality bounces up and down it's still generally enjoyable enough that it's worth watching the entire series since it's only 50ish episodes, but there are some good best-of lists floating around there if you just wanna pick and choose.

My personal recommendation is episode 18, mainly because what happens in the last few minutes is one of the more amazing things I've seen in Lupin. Seriously, everyone should watch that episode. It's fantastic!

Show Time Is Death Feeling sounds like an X-Japan album, I'll remember to check that one out. (posting this joke to confirm that's the right ep :D)

I'm probably never going to watch all 50 eps, there's too much stuff out there. I've seen every Lupin movie/special though at least.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 30, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Srice posted:

If that's the case here's a decent list of recommended eps written by an animator who decided to watch all of the pink jacket episodes, he watched them before there were official subs so ignore his comment about the writing, the old subs were complete garbage.

Right on, thanks! Oddly enough picking and choosing puts this way up on my to-watch list. Like Tales From the Crypt for example, I probably watched over 50% of the episodes total, but was fun to pick which ones sounded interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Professor Irony posted:

I'm not that far into it myself, but I'd say 4 is where it starts to feel more like it has its own personality. From what I've seen so far though, 7 has good action, 11 is worth it for the David Bowie / Catherine Deneuve villains and 13 is the crazy poo poo.

Right on, I've put these notes in a txt file folks, thanks. I've still gotta watch Series 4 by the way, I'm slackin' over here.

• Locked thread