Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
The lack of Goemon in Jigen's Gravestone was a bit disappointing, but I'm glad they didn't try to jam him into the story for no good reason, as they probably would have if it were a tv special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

It's not great, but I honestly don't think Gold Babylon is that bad. I feel it's marginally better than Nostradamus, as the cinema films go.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

you should watch Seijun Suzuki's other movies instead of Gold of Babylon, even though they aren't Lupin. But I like the Gold of Babylon ok

I liked both Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter, but based on them, I can't see much of Suzuki's style in Gold Babylon, to be honest. I'd be curious to know exactly how much involvement he actually had in the film.

Fereydun posted:

dead or alive is randomly really astonishingly well animated which is why it's on the list. i read somewhere that it almost shut down lupin forever and bankrupted monkey punch/made him almost lose the license to the character which is pretty loving crazy

It's not the most original and the character art is '90s as hell, but I really like that one. I think it's still the best Lupin feature film since Mamo.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Words can scarcely express my desire for blue jacket to not suck.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Just spotted this on the Lupin Encyclopedia forum. It's only a few seconds, but it's the first footage showing blue jacket in motion:

http://lupincentral.tumblr.com/post/111900713013/and-heres-a-very-quick-look-at-the-show-in

Seems to confirm that the tone will be more light hearted than the Yamamoto/Koike strain, but it looks hopeful that the art and animation are being handled well.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I spent the whole series waiting for a Rose of Versailles joke about Oscar, but it never came...

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

It's not got the Miyazaki level storytelling, but of the material that follows Cagliostro's blueprint, Fuma Conspiracy is probably the closest thing I've seen in terms of tone and quality.

Professor Irony fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 28, 2015

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

It wasn't my favourite one, but I love how they opened green jacket with an episode in which Lupin takes out a criminal mastermind by flooding his ladies' toilet.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Surprised that the new op seems to be following the trend for just splicing together footage from the show - surely they'd have been offered a proper opening animation for their broadcast?

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Not sure I feel inclined to watch any more of it without some kind of English translation, but that first episode seemed very promising indeed.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

After being a bit let down by the latter half of Part IV, I decided to pick up Part 3 again the other night and I hit the terminally weird "Play a Joke on the Variation". Does anyone know if that one was a compressed adaptation of something from the manga? It makes virtually no narrative sense on its own, but it's so aggressively bizarre that there's something strangely compelling about it.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I'm guilty of being a bit of a pink jacket apologist, but once it gets into its stride, I think it's a far better series than many people give it credit for, especially now that the Hulu/CR subtitles are available. I'd at least recommend watching that particular episode just for its sheer strangeness - had they developed it into a feature length story, I think it could potentially have been a spiritual sequel to Mamo.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I'm not that far into it myself, but I'd say 4 is where it starts to feel more like it has its own personality. From what I've seen so far though, 7 has good action, 11 is worth it for the David Bowie / Catherine Deneuve villains and 13 is the crazy poo poo.

Edit: beaten...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Srice posted:

iirc even tho the director of Legend of the Gold of Babylon gets credited for pink jacket overall, he only worked on a few eps. And that was one of them so that explains why it's weird as hell.

That makes sense now that you mention it. From what I've seen of Seijun Suzuki's live-action films, that kind of flat, videogame like side-on camera angle seems to be a favourite of his and there was a shot like that both in ep13 at the start with Zenigata in the well, and also somewhere in Gold Babylon, where it pans down through layers of a building.

• Locked thread