Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best DKC game
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
View Results

• Locked thread
brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It was the best platformer I've ever played.

I especially liked the shadow levels and levels where the environment is falling apart. 6-6 was extremely my poo poo. World 3: Bright Savanna in general was my favorite thematically and musically. Grassland Groove's second half fits the gameplay perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss421nbCAJE

Dixie kong was my favorite assist because she makes it really easy to get extra hang time and height to your jump.

I'm not sure I'm good enough to 100% it though

Namaste and keep gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Donkey Kong Country games are some of the best games ever made.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I really like Tropical Freeze but I didn't like the boss fights.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
where's my tropical freeze ost nintendo

these youtube rips aren't sufficent

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like Kirby more but yeah DK is decent.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Silver Striker posted:

I really like Tropical Freeze but I didn't like the boss fights.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I like Kirby more but yeah DK is decent.

same

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tropical freeze is the best 2d platformer ever

the boss fights are fun but the last one holy moley it's bad and long as hell

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I do not usually vote for anything but all the options in this type of poll and I broke that because of how much i like DKC2.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
weeeeeellll i've only played the first two dkc games but of the two dkc2 was the better one.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Boss fights are actually consistently bad in a lot of DK games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DKC returns is also good but it just doesn't have very memorable levels. all the minecart levels were great but the rocket levels were total rear end and mirror mode was a dumb idea.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

After reading what people have said about the final boss I have practically lost all will to play. I was really enjoying Tropical Freeze before that, too. I was getting all the letters and doing the KONG levels, which owned.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought the final boss of DKCR was impossible, and yet I beat him. Keep your will strong, and you'll defeat any challenge the game throws at you.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

After reading what people have said about the final boss I have practically lost all will to play. I was really enjoying Tropical Freeze before that, too. I was getting all the letters and doing the KONG levels, which owned.

the game is really, really good. the final boss isn't abominable but it's a drag, he does a string of attacks that take a long time to complete before he lets you hit him, it's very easy to gently caress up during the vulnerable stage and then he repeats the exact same attacks over and over again.

as he gets hurt, he just adds more to the pile of attacks and you're sitting there dodging the same poo poo over and over.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mabels big day posted:

I thought the final boss of DKCR was impossible, and yet I beat him. Keep your will strong, and you'll defeat any challenge the game throws at you.

it was really dumb that diddy didnt respawn with you jesus

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Good poo poo OP

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

tons of games have lovely final bosses. don't let it get you down.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
all muslims should be shot in the head with thousands of 40mm bullets

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Hoodrich posted:

all muslims should be shot in the head with thousands of 40mm bullets

what does this have to do with donkey kong.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Silver Striker posted:

assuming you are talking about the world 6 boss, I beat him in 6 lives. honestly I think I had more trouble with the water world boss. he was a bit disappointing in that his moveset is very samey, but yeah boss battles are consistently blah in the game.

at least you can unlock a bonus world after beating him

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

This thread has inspired me to play Tropical Freeze again and 100% it. Too bad I have a bunch of other Wii U games I'm playing right now and MH4U comes out soon.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Silver Striker posted:

This thread has inspired me to play Tropical Freeze again and 100% it. Too bad I have a bunch of other Wii U games I'm playing right now and MH4U comes out soon.

when I arrive at the Pearly Gates I can point to this post as proof of my good works

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that one level where the jungle starts on fire as you are running and falls apart

those levels with the silhouettes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I did not like the swimming stages other than that hell yeah it's good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Rayman: Origins is the only game ever made with good underwater sequences.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
it would have been better if they were more spaced out instead of sticking like all of them in the same world

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

it would have been better if they were more spaced out instead of sticking like all of them in the same world

the water levels are just terrible

rayman origin's swimming levels are good because you can turn on a dime and they were designed with speed in mind, the underwater sections are relatively effortless

in DK freeze you have a loving oxygen meter for no reason

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I think the original DKCR is one of the greatest platformers ever designed, with the only real negative being the shake controls. Then Tropical Freeze got rid of shaking but re-introduced swimming. gently caress swimming.

Also don't even gently caress with the co-op in either. The levels were designed for one monkey to bounce through, not two.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

in DK freeze you have a loving oxygen meter for no reason
wtf not even DK64 had a loving oxygen meter

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I actually love this game and no one ever takes me seriously or recalls it exists.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

PleasingFungus posted:

Really extremely good and fun, only problem is how sore your hands get after wailing on the drums for hours at a time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i ended up dismissing every DK game that came out between Rare being bought out by Microsoft and the release of DKC Returns because it like that nintendo had no idea what to do with the franchise

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*trying to hide the steamy piss stain running down my size 38 cargo shorts* I don't have a Wii U yet.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is it closer to SMB or DKC, OP. I find DKC kind of... slow paced I guess, or it's just not as graceful perhaps.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I thought, all things considered, the swimming levels were pretty good as far as swimming levels go \:shobon:/

Although yeah, basically the marathon of them in one world was kind of bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Is it closer to SMB or DKC, OP. I find DKC kind of... slow paced I guess, or it's just not as graceful perhaps.
shiggy originally thought that DKC was derivative crap. not sure if he's changed his mind

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

DCK:TF is a treat for the eye's and ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

shiggy originally thought that DKC was derivative crap. not sure if he's changed his mind
it kinda is

• Locked thread