Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best DKC game
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
View Results

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

DCK:TF is a treat for the eye's and ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

shiggy originally thought that DKC was derivative crap. not sure if he's changed his mind
it kinda is

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Still haven't played Tropical Freeze, I did replay Returns a few months back and the level design is so tight. I will say the biggest knock against it is that the enemies and general aesthetic feel super generic and not very exciting. Like you just grabbed a bunch of assets from Random Jungle Game and made a kickass platformer out of them.

From what I've seen Tropical Freeze fixes that though so I guess it's similar to the jump from DKC to DKC2.

Wormskull posted:

Is it closer to SMB or DKC, OP. I find DKC kind of... slow paced I guess, or it's just not as graceful perhaps.

The new games are very fast paced, they don't control like Mario but they're pretty different from the originals.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

shiggy originally thought that DKC was derivative crap. not sure if he's changed his mind

he admitted later he only said this because of politics. mario was the end-all be-all of platformers and anything else was unwanted competition. DKC1 and 2 own hard. DKC3 is pretty fun,

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

he admitted later he only said this because of politics. mario was the end-all be-all of platformers and anything else was unwanted competition. DKC1 and 2 own hard. DKC3 is pretty fun,

Did he say that? It's not that I don't believe you, but Ive seen you jumping to conclusions based on vague statements and passing it off as fact before.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Did he say that? It's not that I don't believe you, but Ive seen you jumping to conclusions based on vague statements and passing it off as fact before.

turns out that he said he didn't like it was just a rumor

quote:

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i think its hard to trust things you hear about what japanese devs say outside of official sources cuz the games press reporting on it translates poo poo through google at best

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

just striving for impzone accuracy here, thanks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the rumors that he hated it and did yoshis island so stylized as retaliation are pretty old and i dont think there was ever any source for it

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Huh, I remember that rumor too, guess it seemed believable. I want to play Tropical Freeze, but I have no Wii U, and my friend who has a Wii U doesnt give a gently caress about Donkey Kong, never even played the SNES ones. Shameful.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that's just a rumor. DKC is a good game series

i had a friend in third grade who loved to come over to my house to play the first DKC

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when i was a little kid a friend lent me donkey kong 1, a week or so later they had come to pick it up when i wasnt home and i dont think i ever cried harder my whole life

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Is it closer to SMB or DKC, OP. I find DKC kind of... slow paced I guess, or it's just not as graceful perhaps.

i don't really like the original dkc games all that much but tropical freeze is really good. bye. you can go very fast much faster than the original dkc. it has good inertia [u need inertia]

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i Found DKCR really boring :(

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I beat the game 100%

You can do it OP.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I did not like Donkey Kong Country Returns, even though I got it for free.

I don't think platformers are worth anything more than $10.

What makes Tropical Freeze different from any other platformer?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Slur posted:

You suck rear end dude.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slur posted:

What makes Tropical Freeze different from any other platformer?

gently caress off, troll

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mods, quick! An enormous fag is laying seige to the Donkey Kong thread!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Mods, quick! An enormous fag is laying seige to the Donkey Kong thread!

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Slur posted:

I'm going to stomp on your head and kill you like Mario would.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am playing it my spare time on my friends wiiu, so I haven't beat it yet. I just finished the water world and tbh I loved it. The swimming is a lot better in these games since you have boosts and attacks. The only level I didn't like was the one with coral stack platforms that started to crumble when you landed on them. Also the music for this world was the best.

I think DKC: R and Tropical Freeze are amazing. I will say I think the controls are a tiny sloppy. Well not the controls but like, the friction. I tend to slide a little bit when I land and stuff.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
There's nothing wrong with the control in tropical freeze. Grow up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That's not true, you grow up

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Shaking to roll sucked in Returns but that was fixed in the 3ds port and Tropical Freeze.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have Tropical Freeze but I haven't played it yet since I want to beat DKCR first. I've been playing one stage a day for the past few days and I just got to the Factory. I think I'm not going to try to 100% though because that's not in my gamer nature anymore.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I got the 3ds port for free with my 3ds. I liked it, I remember getting really mad at a stage with little skeleton dinosaurs and tar maybe? I loved the stage with a barrel rocket and a giant bat but maybe it was because of the music.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I heard the 3DS port was insanely bad, is it really that bad?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Wootman posted:

I thought it was good. It's pretty much the same thing but with fixed controls.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's not true, you grow up

Ive beaten this game 100%

What the hell are your credentials?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Wootman posted:

Im not a fan of the circle pad, but its the superior version for button rolling alone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's amazing how much better the water levels would be without the oxygen meter. Like that color key maze was sorta interesting, but

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Looper posted:

It's amazing how much better the water levels would be without the oxygen meter. Like that color key maze was sorta interesting, but

that color key maze was a loving pile of poo poo i hated it so much i almost stopped playing the game

hey lol you rememeber the part where donkey kong was likie jet force gemini? COLORED KEYS make them loving look for keys in a lovely underwater level where there's an oxygen meter lol]

god gently caress that level

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the music on that level was really good tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFHoo_kNL8

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

that color key maze was a loving pile of poo poo i hated it so much i almost stopped playing the game

hey lol you rememeber the part where donkey kong was likie jet force gemini? COLORED KEYS make them loving look for keys in a lovely underwater level where there's an oxygen meter lol]

god gently caress that level

It really didnt take very long, no real reason to almost quit the game. :dogstare:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah it's a pretty short level, and I liked that they tried to do something different, it just wasn't executed very well

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Wormskull posted:

fwiw I always thought the SNES DKC games felt mushy and clunky but I think DKCR is the best game on the Wii and one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Retro is god pretty much

e: oh that was last page whoops. I goofed. I'm a shitter.

Flanky fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 28, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Austrian mook posted:

There's nothing wrong with the control in tropical freeze. Grow up.

Moving ice platforms make you slide around even if you're not moving otherwise, and there's at least one over a bottomless pit which is pretty annoying to die to when you slide off for no reason.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Totally with ya Aston. I'm totally willing to concede I'm a huge noob (forgive me mom...), but the controls for DKC:TF do seem to have a bit of a slide to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

how about you guys try traversing the jungle terrain without losing a bit of footing before you criticize donkey kong.

• Locked thread