Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
What do you guys consider the most painless way of deploying docker containers to AWS? They have something called ECS and Elastic Beanstalk which seems nice, but is it actually good to use when you just want to automate everything or should I look at a different automation layer like (random selection) Convox or Rancher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Interesting, thanks! I'm not really tied down to AWS, I have a few things there already but that's only stuff like static sites hosted in S3 and some Route 53 DNS stuff.

My requirements are fairly simple, I just want to run a dockerized Java app that I can update without downtime (so behind a load balancer that I can autoregister the app with), a hosted database (preferably Postgres, though I guess Google's MySQL-based one is also fine) and lots of object storage that's easily accessed through HTTP, like S3. If I can automate as much of the devops works as possible that would be nice. I've done Chef stuff in the past and got everything to work but it's really too much hassle for what is going to be (hopefully) a fairly simple service. Ideally I'll run a simple Jenkins instance at home, build stuff on that and have it deployed automatically on success.

AFAICT that'll mainly leave me with AWS, Google or Azure, since other options require me to do a lot of the infra management myself. Do you guys have a preference for one of these three managed options?

Edit: Looks like the free tier of Codeship in combination with AWS will work for me. It'll allow me to commit to BitBucket and have it autodeployed. Seems good.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 8, 2016

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
The one time I tried CloudFormation it happily created my resources but got stuck in a failure state trying to tear everything down again.

Thanks, Amazon!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

minato posted:

All of these are very reasonable questions... but this is just a non-critical script, and there are thousands of similar things all over the company. If the bar to entry into a platform is this high, no-one is going to wade through all that red tape.
At my previous job we'd also spend months arguing with security about things like the patching process and they'd routinely block deployments until everything was approved.

I understood where they were coming from but at the same time there were glaring security issues across the platform Security weren't addressing since that would have required actual effort instead of creating terabytes of Google Forms. When this was pointed out they wouldn't budge at all.

This eventually soured a lot of people on the Security team and the relationship became super adversarial.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Methanar posted:

Maven is trash though I'm not going to be a Maven apologist.
Citation needed, because Maven owns.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Methanar posted:

My brain is too small for it
No brainshaming in this thread!

But genuinely curious, since Maven is usually pretty straightforward since it's not a fully programmable mess like, say, Gradle.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

vanity slug posted:

can't wait for the opentofu / chef collaboration
i'm sure we can fit an "omakase" reference in somewhere

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

any backstage users here?
I made $PREVJOB the first official adopter

Not sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing though

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

vanity slug posted:

pretty much all of vault's announcements this year have been "we added a feature to our piece of poo poo cloud platform, please give us money"
ah yes, also known as the "goodfellas approach"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I worked for a startup that probably does exactly what you want, but I'm not sure how active development is right now.