Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That seems like some sort of horrible moral conundrum. Is it worse to shoot a kid and feel bad, or not shoot a kid but feel no remorse shooting adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It would make sense if those positions attracted a very, very odd breed of person. I know you have to be pretty exceptional to qualify, but it would be an odd personality type to want to apply.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the rise of ISIS from the ashes of AQI and their success in taking over much of northern Iraq and eastern Syria has made a pro-Iraq War movie much more palatable to the general public.

Wow, we, as a culture are black belts at missing the point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I thnk it's a little odd that I've heard the word used so often as an insult.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Which is doubly angering, since Eastwood dodged ever going to war. If memory served he schmoozed his way out of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

socketwrencher posted:

Who knows, maybe there's some guilt involved. Regardless, I don't think it invalidates the intention behind the movie. I read it as less propaganda and more public service announcement.

If you're correct, it's "You don't know what it was like over there" from someone who never went there and who worked actively to avoid it.

Finding out Eastwood is kind of a lovely person has damaged some of his earlier films. Gran Torino becomes two hours of a wealthy old white man explaining to a marginalised minority why political correctness is bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

Are you joking here? Because that was made, by David Simon, and called Generation Kill, and was about how hosed up Iraq was, and hits on half of the points you were talking about (but focuses more on how middle management incompetence makes things even worse).

It's a great show, and the book is excellent too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Everything else in your post has been responded to, but this stuck out to me. Do you really not see the difference in tone between American Sniper and The Pacific? The Pacific is a pretty brutal depiction of american soldiers in a war that American film makers almost never depict in anything but a 'God bless our soldiers!!' way. It was fairly shocking coming from the people behind Band Of Brothers.

It has admittedly been awhile since I saw it, but I remember being deeply uncomfortable frequently by the actions of the soldiers. American Sniper? Not so much.

It actually makes a pretty sharp contrast to Band of Brothers, especially it's depiction of battle. Band of Brothers places great emphasis on the tactics, on the geography and technology. It's brilliant for armchair generals or people that really know the tactics of the time (and masterfully recreated, I think I could draw a pretty clear diagram of every battle in the show)
The Pacific, by contrast, is hordes of faceless enemies hurling themselves at the marines until they stop. Then the marines trudge on to the next unclear objective against a vague enemy and do it again, and they slowly all go mad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Two thirds of Fury were so loving good.
Fixed.

Smoothrich posted:

Just seems wrong to attack this guy so much
Also seems a little weird to venerate him so much.

quote:

Too racist! Not racist enough!
Almost like it was a disjointed film that didn't know what point it was making, or even if it was making one.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 18, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That last battle was loving retarded and snuck in from a much, much worse movie. It was Windtalkers level of ridiculous.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

It made precisely as much cosmological sense to me as the opening scene. It's not precisely like it comes out of nowhere, the entire film is building up to it from the moment we open in the smoked out, poo poo hole crater of mud and shrapnel.

Would you mind elaborating on what 'cosmological sense' means? I'm not being facetious, I have honestly never encountered those two words together before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

By cosmology I should be clear that I don't mean scientific cosmology, but religious cosmology. In the religious sense, cosmology describes not necessarily a study but a structure of beliefs regarding the origins and ultimate fate of the universe. Fury is loaded with cosmological imagery that is treated in the film proper as part of a self-contained cosmos or universe, which is itself a metaphor for the ultimate fate of war.

The film opens with a silhouetted Nazi captain emerging from the darkness and smoke astride a white horse. And while in colloquial terms the words "white" and "pale" are often erroneously equated, this figure represents the apocalyptic spectre of Death as revealed in Revelations. Nobody else is alive, this figure rides alone consumed in a chaotic void that currently lacks form. We don't see the battle that 'created' this world, and so we are left instead with the formless void, the Genesis of War.

Emerging from the formless void is a lone figure who will soon come to be revealed as Wardaddy (literally the Father of War), who leaps upon the figure of death and tellingly stabs him in the eye. The imagery of the eye recalls the Germanic pagan deity Odin/Wotan, except rather than a self-sacrifice in order to attain wisdom, this act is inverted as a desecration of German volk culture initiated by an invading force. This imagery is made doubly potent when Lerman's character discovers half of the previous gunner's face inside Fury, specifically his cheek and dead eye. The Genesis of Fury is the staging of an alchemical exchange between the invading and occupying forces, each representing tacitly different spiritual ideologies but ultimately feuding for dominance over the same 'formless void' of chaos: Christianity for the Allies, and Volk paganism for the Nazis.

Of course, both of these spiritual perspectives are, indeed, more rhetorical than literal. Only Bible abstains from sex with 'the conquered women,' and the Nazis/German people clearly aren't pagans. Rather, War itself is the religion, forming the entire foundation of the film's cosmos.

The final battle sequence distills this cosmological metaphor through yet another alchemical exchange: The same beings that first emerged from the 'formless void' of Genesis are now committed to their ultimate apocalyptic fate - their death in the service of their religion. Ayer represents this vividly by this time having Lerman/"Machine", the gunner, survive the ordeal, but his comrades fall, looking back as Ayer's dissolves twice to a God's eye view looking down on the ultimate fate of the Fury, forming the iris of an eye looking back out upon the viewer. What we see in the end of the film is a cyclical wraparound to the 'formless void' of the opening, in anticipation of a ceaseless cycle of war. Apocalypse leading to new Genesis.

Now that we reach the end, the imagery of the eye also works in another cosmological sense: "An Eye for an Eye."

That's a really cool reading. Mine seems like a really petty complaint after that lyrical loving analysis.
It's not quite a tactical realism thing (I'm not an expert, or even really an enthusiast) it just felt out of place. Every battle in it was horribly brutal. It was messy, and really captured just how vague and terrifying their viewpoints were. Every victory seemed to come with a steep cost, and death was painted as being everywhere, cruel, quick and random.
Then, in the last battle, hundreds of elite German soldiers just throw themselves at a fixed position. It works well at first. It was a great battle scene. Then it just went on too goddamn long. It was long enough that I started to see the seams, I started to wonder just why these Germans were so stubborn about attacking this position from the same direction. I started to spot contrivances of the scene, like the guys who are literally 3 metres away firing no weapons, just running so that Pitt can casually shoot them. The Germans forget about those really effective anti tank weapons they handed out to children in the first act. They forget that they actually have guns for much of it.
It's not really unique to Fury. It's all the same cliches as in every other "heroic last stand" and there's the problem. It's all those cliches. And the scene is long enough for immersion to be broken and for me to just start counting the cliches. Plenty of bits in it are still great, but it's twenty minutes. It's essentially a short film, which is more than enough time for my immersion to be ruined.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I can agree with the general thrust of that complaint, but there's one particular thing that's being brought up regularly that I'd disagree with: If I remember correctly, nowhere in the movie it's ever stated that the battallion is in any way elite. All it does say is that they're SS, which I'd argue is mostly supposed to minimise any moral ambiguity by drawing a connection to the mostly SS-perpetrated crimes we'd seen up to that point. Essentially it's to impress upon the viewer that those guys really have it coming, so to speak. While towards the beginning of the war there were a bunch of elite Waffen-SS formations, the same does not necessarily hold true in 1945. They might as well have been a highly motivated but completely untested rear-line police unit pressed into frontline duty as a last resort. The movie even makes a point of showing that they're pretty poorly supplied, having only two crates of (usually rather ubiquitous) panzerfausts left.
It's still a bit of an annoyance, but I'd say the segment works better if you watch it with the perspective that you're seeing a bunch of people with little to no experience facing an unknown obstacle in the middle of the night. Fog of war, and all that. Arguably you could also read it as an act of hubris on the SS-commander's part, a conviction that with their obvious superiority they should be able to just brush aside a single obstacle like that in one swoop by virtue of esprit alone, rather than take the "cowardly" option of circumventing it entirely. They were also under a certain degree of time pressure, as the bulk of the american forces were set to reach that same crossing on the very next day, which would have contributed to that stance.

Elite or no, hundreds of them just running towards a position without even firing was a bit much. It feels like a battle scene from a different movie. In the film's first battle, in the clearing, they really cleverly give you a sense that they don't really know what they're firing at much of the time. They're firing into tree cover or smoke, aiming at muzzle flashes and hoping for the best, and the film captures just how little they actually see.
Then, come the final battle, they're cutting down heavy weapon teams in the dark right as they set up. They seem omniscient. Again, it would be a fine scene, in a different movie.
If it had been in my hands, I would have ended it right after the first charge. They have a moment of triumph, Pitt goes for the ammo, and that's where they'd all get killed. They made a statement, they aimed for a heroic last stand, but at the end of the day it's still 5 guys firing from a static, vulnerable position. It would be in keeping with the tone of the rest of the movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's the point - there's nothing heroic about it. There are no concrete stakes to holding the crossroads, at least no ticking clock that establishes that 'x' will happen if this SS column isn't stopped. From the very beginning of the film, the destruction of the Nazi regime is a foregone conclusion and the entire film is about the bitter end. Think about a scene earlier in the film, as the tank column rolls on and Wardaddy pauses to view the war in heaven, which is a squadron at most of Luftwaffe fighters versus what looks like an armada of Allied warplanes. Why should they be fighting on? Plenty of Germans deserted and surrendered. Fury's a film about war as a supernatural force.

And that's my problem. It ends up feeling like a heroic stand, because it goes on so long and requires so many contrivances to keep going. Even when the main gun fails, and both machine guns are out of bullets all at the same time, they have enough time to reload and keep slaughtering nazis. Their heroic stand works. It's not a pointless gesture in a pointless part of the war, which is what it seemed to be building to. One tank crew kills 300 or so German soldiers. It seems like a scene that couldn't have happened in the same movie where a tank is unexpectedly killed by two child soldiers. Where only a rigid formation and constant communication lets them win the battle in the clearing (which is seriously one of the best battle scenes ever), where a Tiger tank knocks out three American tanks before it's destroyed. It would be a perfect ending if it was about a third the length or so.
Talking back to your point about the planes, yes, we're shown that the American army is tired and not particularly well equipped, but still at an overwhelming advantage against the remnants of the German army. Then a fully equipped, seemingly well motivated regiment pops up, vastly outnumbers the Americans, and still gets slaughtered.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a pity to use a generic cipher/symbol for your main character when you had such a distinctive nutbag in Chris Kyle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

That's fine and dandy. A movie can be about politics. But if you watch it and you're so influenced by it that you can't discern the difference between Hollywood and real life, the problem is not with the movie. People seem to be defending ignorance. Watching a movie, any movie, that doesn't fall under a documentary title (and even then), even those that are "based on" real events and getting your political ideologies from it is lazy ignorance. Can it influence you do to more research about it? Yeah, but don't ask me to accept people being lazy about it.

Think about those news stories that people post on Facebook that are solely to smear Obama. Most of them aren't true, but they are presented as legitimate news sources (more legitimate than this movie, in fact) and anyone who takes them as fact without doing any research is lazy and ignorant. This movie is the same thing as those news stories, it's just a movie and not a news story.

No one's going to watch this movie and have their opinion entirely changed. That's called "The Magic Bullet" effect in communications studies, and it's been debunked. What is the problem is a saturation effect. That connection got mentioned over and over, between Iraq and Al Qaeda, and so people accepted (it also got repeated in news stories, and I use the word news quite loosely) American Sniper adding its voice to that senseless repetition of that connection, in the year 2015, while emphasising over and over that it is based on a true story, is irresponsible at best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Smoothrich posted:

Do people not understand how lots of Americans ended up enlisting into the military after their patriotism was stirred by the events of 9/11? Pretty common shared experience. The Nightly Show's episode on the film had a US sniper admit that is what made him sign up himself, and talks candidly about his experiences killing people and struggling to adjust to society after four or five tours in Middle East wars.
That's not people's complaint. The complaint is that it implies a direct causal link between 9/11 and Iraq.

quote:

I think it is missing the forest for the trees to say depicting racism, hatred, patriotism, and false political narratives is the same thing as endorsing them. Look buddy, we invaded Iraq, and killed tons of people. This movie is depicting those events, from the perspective of a particular American sniper who wrote a best selling memoir about it.

The movie actually got rid of his perspective/voice. Or at least cleaned it up to the point that it could have been anybody's

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I used to think that it didn't matter about popular depictions of war, until I found out that, to pick one, Paul Revere is in the history books entirely because of a poem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Smoothrich posted:

So do you think every fan of the movie is racist and or ignorant of recent history?

Besides those twitter trolls about Muslims sound like some of the commentary about soldiers, Chris Kyle, and conservatives from the leftist critics which is my entire point. People are too partisan nowadays to hold any sort of real conversation about topical things without pandering to stereotypes and generalizations.

I think the word 'irony' just exploded.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mugrim posted:

I would argue there is a world of difference between supporting the military and supporting the troops. People support war, domination, and the noble soldier in combat more than they support social programs for those who no longer fight. It is a dissonance but not a completely incompatible one.

Americans find a much easier time supporting kicking rear end compared to creating large well managed social programs.

A lot of terrorists are killed and purged from the world. That is what is accomplished in the movie. Bradley Cooper sacrifices a perfect family to defend good honest American soldiers as they kill the enemy.

It's the same dissonance that leads to a police force armed like a military but massive social gaps that lead to more crime.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Shooter had a bolder political stance, too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Danger posted:

While you are applying this to an overlapping context, I think it's an enduring truth of the controversy surrounding American Sniper as well. The message to be taken isn't the formal plot elements but in the construction and use of the historical narrative itself. Many modern films that take war as their subject share this underlying message in the creation of masculine identity; most recently True Detective in regards to Vietnam.

True Detective has that great bit where Woody Harrelson pines for the days when men just didn't talk about their problems, then spends the rest of the show having problems that he didn't talk about destroy his life.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Seriously, what movie made in the last 10 years is more anti war than this?

Downfall, Letters From Iwo Jima, The Hurt Locker, Restrepo. poo poo, Troy spends a whole lot more time condemning war.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Hurt Locker goes into the category of films that say "look what war does to our soldiers" which is fine as far as anti-war films go, but I prefer the films that say "look what war does to everyone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJNNzbWM4F8

It also shows war as something addictive, and Renner's character as a weird, messed up dude.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

It really is. It's shocking to think that that film was made a full two years before 9/11 was even a thing, and yet it still fully encapsulates precisely the mentality and rhetoric that would be used to portray the invasion of Iraq as a noble, freedom-fighting cause.

It's astounding that Russell took The Treasure of Sierra Madre and turned it into the story of American exceptionalism.

And Kelly's Heroes. Which is a fascinating time capsule of a movie. It's a fun 'boys own adventure' set in the middle of a war. It's kind of a weird movie, now.

Cole posted:

hurt locker is a horribly inaccurate film and it's one of the worst movies i have ever seen if you're trying to learn anything about the US military in the middle east. it's entertaining, but i would be more accurate throwing a football if you blindfolded me and spun me in circles for 20 minutes than that movie was about war.
Why would you watch a movie for that purpose?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

American Sniper is worlds more accurate than Hurt Locker. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are good movies or if their politics are sound.

Not really. It just chooses different things to be innacurate about. Like its protagonist, for instance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

, but if it wasn't inspired by actual events and the main character was named Lester Stevens, you wouldn't mention this).

But it was, and he isn't, so I did.

In a hypothetical film where Hurt Locker didn't have the tactical realism issues you pointed out, there'd also be nothing to discuss.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

If you are talking about Hurt Locker, literally the entire movie was inaccurate.

As is American Sniper. The nature of the main character and his motive is kind of important. It isn't some minor thing on par with the wrong badge being displayed for that year.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Let me just ask: what are your credentials for saying American Sniper is inaccurate?

The book it's based on. Also reality.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Everyone has said how the book strayed from the reality of who Chris Kyle was, but you trust the accuracy of everything else?
That's not what people said. The film Chris bears little to no resemblance to the book Chris. That's the inaccuracy being referred to. Chris himself has actually been legally determined to be a liar, but an adaptation of his book that actually used what a weird, pathologically dishonest guy he was would have been a hell of a lot more interesting. And honest. Turning "damaged, lying, homicidal Chris" into "stoic, silent Chris" is pretty drat inaccurate. And it's a dangerous lie, too.

There's also the way the film hinges on a sniper duel

quote:

(which is a huge plot point)
that never happened against a guy who may or may not have existed, who Kyle never interacted with.

quote:

What reality are you talking about, exactly?
Oh, the reality where Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

I am not arguing that American Sniper is 100% factually accurate. I'm arguing that holding up Hurt Locker next to it is very silly because Hurt Locker is about as far away from a factual war movie you can get, and if you want to spread an anti-war message, you shouldn't do it with something as factually inaccurate as Hurt Locker. You might as well go find a supermarket tabloid to help make your point.

A reminder that Acts of Valour actually uses actual Navy SEALs doing Navy SEAL stuff (presumably pretty accurately, since they're actually Navy SEALS, in case you didn't notice the first twelve times it's yelled at you) yet is a dogshit movie, SMG analysis aside (SMG, please do your analysis on Acts of Valour again, it was great)

This all started because someone challenged anyone to name a "more anti-war" film. Not a better one. Or a more tactically realistic one.

Cole posted:

A sniper leaving his perch to help a marine unit with raids is more realistic than an EOD team becoming snipers or going off on renegade missions to find a bad guy.
So, it's a breach of tactical realism for a guy demonstrated to be a wild card, loose cannon crazy person to act like a wild card, loose cannon crazy person?

They also don't 'become' snipers. Is it really insane that they managed to learn how to use a sniper rifle sometime before that? While in the army?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Will someone explain to me what part of the movie implies that 9/11 was actually the cause of the war in Iraq? All I remember is him watching it on tv as his motivation to join the military.

It cuts directly from 9/11 to him being in Iraq. If you don't think that implies a connection, you may have misunderstood how editing works.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Smoothrich posted:

I'm drat well sure someone like Chris Kyle was motivated more about saving the lives of his people then ending the lives of their people, even if they are the same thing in the end too.

Not if his book is anything to go by.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There are like a billion Chris Kyle quotes where he talks about killing for the love of killing and complains that he wasn't allowed to shoot every person with a Quran. You may be "drat well sure" but you are also "drat well wrong" and letting your ideological blinders create a saint out of a dude who lied about shooting American citizens from the Superdome.

That was a really disturbing quote. It reminds me of when I was 13 and we were all lying about hook ups we hadn't had, and Jason, the weird kid we didn't know why we were friends with, made up a story that was basically rape, because he didn't understand the rules of the game. It's like Kyle doesn't even get which killings he's allowed to boast about.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Pretend like this isn't a war, pretend like it is a group of heavily armed foreign soldiers coming down a street in New York. Should a woman who owns a grenade just let them invade her city?

It's the same problem that a lot of people have with Ender's Game, funnily enough. It's a scene that should ask questions, but its depiction leaves no room for any other interpretation than "it was the right thing to do, and justified."

And once again, even if you can justify that act (and the film can) you would hope that the film would wonder, at least a little, how everyone involved got to that point. The film presents it as a video game level, though. Nothing came before or after, it's entirely free of context or consequence.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Would you expect those foreign soldiers to just allow that woman to run up to them holding a grenade?

Would you be defending their right to shoot her? Or wondering how the hell we got to the point of foreign troops wandering around New York and its citizens fighting to kick them out?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Would you expect those foreign soldiers to just allow that woman to run up to them holding a grenade?

Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

No, of course not. I'd also be really uncomfortable and horrified if a film came out depicting that as unambiguously the right thing to do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

However, the people who went to Iraq had no decision making power. A lot of people who are a part of the initial invasion of Iraq joined for reasons not related to Iraq at all. At that point, they were forced into a dogfight and had no choice. Sure you can make the case for being a conscientious objector, but given the way troops are trained, you put them in a mindset that it is the right thing to do. Call it brainwashing if you want.
There's a better phrase for it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_JerusalemI mean, I hate to Godwin myself out of the argument, but that is, almost word for word, the Nuremberg defence. It's the essence of the phrase 'the banality of evil'
If you agree that the war in Iraq was unjustified, then it's weird that you don't get people's problem with the film. To not even consider the right and wrong of the war and just focus on "in that moment, he totally had to kill that kid/woman/guy" is myopic. To structure the film as something that has a payoff (he kills Mustafa, allowing him a real, military triumph in a war that had no military triumph) frames the war in a nice, palatable way, rather than a pointless, slogging occupation. Actually, think about how the message of the film changes if you move the sniper duel to the first half.
It puts it more in line with something like "The Men in Green Faces." I don't know if you've read it, but it starts out as a team of Navy SEALs fighting in Vietnam, and ends with a loving Kung Fu fight against the evil North Vietnamese colonel.

quote:

Once the troops were there, it was a "kill or be killed" scenario. That is not their fault. That is the fault of the government that put them there.
Who are notably absent from this film, even by mention.

quote:

If a woman in New York ran up on an invading army with a grenade and was shot because of it, I would want retribution. However, completely ignoring why that foreign army is there in the first place (in this case it wasn't the army that put them there, it was the civilians in charge of that army that put them there) is shortsighted.
So does it follow that you think the film is shortsighted?

quote:

From the individual soldier's prospective, shooting someone coming at them with a bomb is unambiguously the right thing to do. However, how they got there, if you want to keep it based on the invasion of Iraq, is really hosed up.
See, I disagree with this, but I suspect it's just word choice. It's unambiguously the correct tactical (or practical) choice in that moment, but using the word right suggests a moral dimension that I don't think you're going for. Killing someone who's going to squeal on you for murder is also the correct practical choice, but it'd be weird if you called it the right thing to do.'

quote:

Honestly, if troops were invading the US based on a foreign policy agenda, I would feel bad for them being stuck there moreso than I would feel angry that they are there at all. I wouldn't feel bad for the government that put them there, that's where my anger would be concentrated.
That's probably true, but I think you'd feel worse for the US civilians, and be really angry if, later on, they were depicted as being all combatants with no hint of a moral dimension.

Cole posted:

I don't think you could make a movie with Chris Kyle as your focal point and effectively explore the things I mentioned. Could you make a movie that had Chris Kyle's character in it and explore those things? Yes, but it wouldn't be about Chris Kyle at that point.
It's already not about Chris Kyle, it's about a stoic patchwork of a character that gets into a sniper duel that didn't happen.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Ok, I am talking about the movie, so when I say Chris Kyle, I am talking about that guy you watched for over two hours.
So ithe film shouldn't include any moral/political dimension because it would draw focus away from a completely ficticious character and his protracted sniper duel?

quote:

The movie is about a person in Iraq, it's not about the politics of Iraq.
Again, most of the people that joined didn't join to go to Iraq, but through training and government propaganda (which I even called brainwashing earlier), they believed they were there for the right reasons.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. The film makes a political statement by showing, at every turn, that Kyle is totally doing the right thing.

quote:

You wouldn't be following normal formula. This is still a Hollywood movie, and they have typical formulas.
That's exactly my point. You move the moment of triumph up front followed by the grim reality. Almost like that makes a point purely in its structure. A point very similar to "Flags of Our Fathers" made by the same goddamn director, in a similar way. Where do you think I got the idea from?

quote:

It's funny you bring up Vietnam. I don't know if you know who Harold G. Moore is, but he even did a sit down conference with the opposing commander of the Battle of Ia Drang once. Not relevant to your point, but it's interesting to me that two people who were hell bent on killing eachother can see war for what it was: government agenda, and not hold it against each other at the end of the day.
Moore is a really interesting guy and his book was great. It doesn't apply to this discussion though.

quote:

Which is fine, because this movie isn't about the politics of the Iraq war.
So you have no problem that the film focuses on Kyle's suffering but leaves the people who you describe as the actual perpetrators of that suffering entirely out of the film? Even by mention or proxy?

quote:

If you're seeing it as a film about Iraq, yes. I don't see it this way.
You're right. It's just about a guy who goes to Iraq, and kills Iraqis, in Iraq, as part of the US governments war in Iraq.

quote:

Someone who squeals on you for murder isn't trying to kill you or a group of people, this is apples and oranges.
Not really. In both cases, you've done something wrong. Someone is trying to interrupt that wrong doing. The snitch is going to get you put in prison or executed. Is preventing their interruption right, or the practical thing to do? Does something being practical make it right? I honestly think

quote:

I never said the people in Iraq can't be mad about the way they are depicted in contemporary American war movies. I actually have a close friend from Baghdad who hates the movie for the reason you just mentioned, and I completely understand his viewpoint without him even having to explain it.
Then why on Earth are you arguing with anyone here?

I think I get your point. You would like it to be a completely apolitical film that purely focuses on the trial and tribulations of one man. Would that be fair to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

socketwrencher posted:

Unless you're saying that some interpretations are invalid and thus don't count, I don't think it's true that there's only one way to interpret that scene.
There's absolutely other ways to interpret the scene, if you have any knowledge about the world beyond what that scene gives you. Based only on what the film gives you, you can only judge it in purely practical terms. Which you'll notice is also the terms in which Kyle did the correct thing, trading 1 Iraqi child for several American soldiers.

quote:

I think viewers bring the context with them. That nothing came before or after may have been designed to prompt people to think for themselves instead of spoon feeding them the questions they should be asking and giving them the answers as well.
You're discussing some other, hypothetical film which has an objective view. This does not describe American Sniper at all. Actually, it's pretty reliable about giving people answers (the answer is always "Badass American hero Chris Kyle did the right thing, though he was a bit sad about it afterwards.")

It gives answers all the time, they're just never very satisfactory or interesting ones.

Smoothrich posted:

It ends with Chris Kyle being murdered by an American soldier, in America. Shot in the back on a shooting range after four or five tours in a war zone, by the kind of guy Chris believed he was fighting to save all along. Happy ending?
Off screen. The wonderful funeral parade appears on screen, however.

Smoothrich posted:

I dont think Chris Kyle is a monster, just an rear end in a top hat. What did the movie do so wrong? Didn't pepper his dialogue with enough ethnic or religious slurs? It means nothing. Chris Kyle was a soldier with a family, was highly decorated for his success at his role of being a sniper, and was a victim of murder. You want two additional hours of Chris Kyle getting drunk and raging at pussy liberals and watching Fox News or something?
How about an appearance by the Chris Kyle who wrote the book? Instead of turning him into the grim silent samurai he was for this film that we're discussing.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread