Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Plot aside, how does the movie actually look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think even the old fudds calling the shots for the AAs realize that they would lose every last ounce of legitimacy if this movie wins Best Picture. There's literally no way to justify it on its merits as a film, and I can't see a voting majority being in line with the agenda it promotes either.

The backlash would probably be more severe than it was for Crash and Shakespeare in Love, yes, though at least SiL had some redeeming qualities.

Yeah, I don't think it actually wins Best Picture, but I would say there's a very good chance that Bradley Cooper wins Best Actor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Wow, the Baghdad theater audience response to this was not what I was expecting at all. Did you guys see this?

This movie really is one of the most crazy anti-war movies of the last 10 years for sure. We haven't seen an anti war movie this powerful since some of the (sometimes over the top) Vietnam films. Platoon for example.

Most of the complaints of the film relate to it as an adaptation, rather than the content of the movie on its own.

This will probably continue until dickwaving about Chris Kyle (in either direction) dies down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mugrim posted:

Okay, a 'good' anti-war movie. Focusing on psychological damage on the side that doesn't have killing field amounts of body dumps is a bit less "Anti-war" and more "War is serious/harms our soldiers"

So not All Quiet on the Western Front?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

K. Waste posted:

You know what else is an anti-war movie? The Birth of a Nation.

I would've said Gone with the Wind but yeah same thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It sounds like the studio had an idea for a film and needed a body to put it together.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Only if you think "the truth" is propaganda. People would still hate it, sure, and they'd probably cry about it being anti-troop, but there would be no cogent argument behind it. It's like how Oklahoma is trying to ban AP History "because it teaches about the bad things that America did."

Is there a way to depict your viewpoint and have it be propaganda? If so, how does it differ from what you define as the truth?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Do you think your average civilian moviegoer is going to be able to relate to an elite member of a volunteer military more than they would relate to the plight of civilians in wartime?

Most US civilians haven't been anywhere near a warzone, so yes?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

Well, it might. Discussing climate change, the Iraq War, vaccines etc. in a way that is "honest, equitable and balanced" should shut out the denialists completely. Otherwise it wouldn't be honest.

It's honest that a significant number of people hold denialist views, and as a result they should get representation on the matter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sentient Data posted:

Stop thinking of the present moment, and think of the generation that's currently in elementary school. Right now they're not being told a single thing about war and foreign policy (aside from the constant TERRORISM background radiation from TV if their parents keep news stations on in the house, schools, or resteraunts/waiting rooms). About 10 years from now, those same kids that have been deliberately protected from any and all controversy about the war will be getting into high school classes, where they'll start to focus more on recent history.

If my history classes (and my dad's before me) are any indication then you won't get within 30 years of the present day in any of your high school history classes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

It cuts directly from 9/11 to him being in Iraq. If you don't think that implies a connection, you may have misunderstood how editing works.

He/The US is in Iraq due to 9/11.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They'd all just get deferments like they did for Vietnam. The odds of a politician's kid being unable to get a student deferment is basically zero. Cheney got four of them, and then another after he became a new father. Unless you completely restructure the draft system, it would be the same old story.

And even if you didn't about 80% of the military never sees the front lines anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ytlaya posted:

Also, related to this same point, it is really stupid to say "Hollywood doesn't have a responsibility to make movies about recent history historically accurate and not pro-war." That is not a counter-argument against people saying that they think Hollywood should do these things. It would only be a reasonable argument if some poster started saying that they think the government should force movie film studios at gunpoint to make movies this way. It does not contradict a poster that is saying that he/she thinks it is bad that Hollywood doesn't do these things.

I feel silly having to point this out, but I've read many pages of this thread that seem to show that certain people need this to be explicitly stated.

"Responsibility" doesn't imply "legal responsibility", the critics here are saying Hollywood has a moral responsibility to do that.

• Locked thread