Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

The film is very much propaganda, serving to whitewash both the legacy of Chris Kyle and the Iraq War. We are shown both the embassy bombings and 9/11 as motivation for Chris's personal crusade, yet all his deployments take place in Iraq. Chris is fighting al-Qaeda, yet no time is given to why or how al-Qaeda is in Iraq. Chris was not a humble, regretful soldier seeking to protect others. His own autobiography paints him as a shameless self-promoter, eager to kill, viewing Iraqis as nothing more than animals. This last view is reinforced throughout the length of the film. We are shown Chris pulling the trigger on an Iraqi child, only to have a smash cut to a deer being shot. The movie repeatedly refers to Iraqis as savages, and even with the few humanized Iraqi characters, one is shown to have been "evil" all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This movie was disgusting and racist. I'm really embarrassed that this film exists.

I don't agree with this. I felt like the wife was an overused movie trope and side dressing for the audience and to add pointless conflict to the story. She is just whiny and there to serve Chris Kyle. The whole thing came off as very sexist, rounding out everything disgusting you could shove into one movie.

The movie is horrible with its stance on women. The first girlfriend, Sarah, I believe, is introduced to us with a joke about how loose she is. Lo and behold, she is cheating on rugged cool cowboy Chris Kyle. Sarah tells Chris that he is a failure, that he is emotionally distant, and exhibits honesty by stating that she only acts out for attention. The movie conveys through Chris's conversation following the incident that Chris was in the right, even though his emotional distance remains an issue during his relationship to Taya.

Taya is introduced to us in a bar, being hit upon by service member. She is a damsel in distress, requiring Chris to save her. She refuses to go home with Chris, and presumably gives him her number. We are shown a scene where Chris is leaving a message on Taya's machine, after he has done so without a response at least twice prior. Chris does not get it, he doesn't take the hint that Taya is ignoring him. During his relationship with Taya, Chris is shown to be distant, and ignores both Taya and his family to pursue a personal crusade in Iraq.

The whole film is hosed up front to back. It will be fun doing a comprehensive take down of all the vile layers of poo poo it contains.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Is there no possibility that there's some ironic angle or something on this movie? Hard to believe that the guy who made Letters from Iwo Jima, a movie humanizing enemy combatants, would make a straight jingoistic war propaganda movie.

The movie deals with PTSD, and does convey how war fucks people up, but then reverses that message when the protagonist overcomes PTSD through sheer willpower and shooting. Every Iraqi character is a bad guy. The dude who's poor as gently caress family gets their house invaded by SEALs turns around and offers everyone dinner. Sounds nice. Turns out he is hiding weapons! Guess we ought to beat the poo poo out of him, and then send him into a situation where he will probably be killed! The old man who didn't evacuate because his daughter is injured and therefore can't leave? He's greedy for wanting compensation and protection. The movie completely glosses over the justifications for the Iraq war. It paints a picture where the US is not the aggressive invader, nor even a liberator. All brown people are bad. Shoot all males of military age.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

It's empty consolation because you're still living in a country where a good 30-40% of the population enthusiastically supports all of it

I know all too well. It will be be an empty gesture, yet a personally satisfying one. The alternative is becoming an alcoholic again.

People were crying as we left the theater. They felt real loss, they felt that this was a hero that died helping others to the very end. I was told that Chris Kyle sacrificing his family was "noble" and "heroic". We have forgotten why we went to Iraq, and this movie helps prove it.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

If I recall correctly it wasnt even his name, just a name they gave him, like calling a spaniard "Pedro". I'm probably wrong though.

You are. Mustafa the Syrian Olympic sniper did/does not exist. He was manufactured from a single line in the book. It is like naming a fictional character John. Lazy? Sure. Racist? Not really.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

There's a scene where you see Mustafa has a family, or that's what I took from it, and that's about the extent of his humanization other than brown man with gun.

Mustafa uses his wife to help him find targets, placing her at risk. Mustafa came from Syria to Iraq, and is a foreign fighter.

Chris keeps his wife at home, not letting her know what he does. Chris came from America to Iraq, and is defending the homeland.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I haven't seen it. You mean to tell me that all these ads making me think it's some critique of PTSD for Iraq war veterans is actually just some Fox News poo poo? What happened to the Clint Eastwood who made Unforgiven?

American Sniper delivers multiple messages, including the harm that PTSD does. However, the largest takeaway is that ARE TROOPS are heroes and Chris Kyle is the biggest hero of them all and was able to get over PTSD by killing a really bad man and through sheer willpower.
His brother, eager to leave Iraq is a pussy. Chris Kyle, real hero, knows what must be done and PTSD is just part of the sacrifice and he doesn't REALLY have it.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

What loadout did he use I wanna plug it into Battlefield 4

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Plot aside, how does the movie actually look?

No real standout shots for me, but still a very good looking film. The predator aerial shots seemed a bit video-gamey, the rodeo scene felt like cgi, and the fake baby was laughable. Otherwise, everything seemed real.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Full disclosure: I'm the shrill leftist harpy who's talking poo poo about this movie without having seen it yet, just going based on the plot descriptions posted here and elsewhere.

That said, I'm curious, Hundu: I've seen a sandstorm battle late in the film singled out for praise as far as visuals go. Was that a lone point of impressive visual filmmaking for you, or is that getting overhyped as well?

The sandstorm battle was actually cool, and there were a few shots that stood out for me, particularly the image of the wave of sand towering over the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

God drat, that scene sucked. It was just a bunch of CGI sand flying everywhere and people shooting blindly. The scene was dark and you really couldn't see poo poo as to what was going on. The framerate (?) also got really weird, I'm assuming, because of the CGI. It felt really visually jarring to me.

Most of American Sniper's action bits look like they are from a video game, not a movie. The sandstorm is reminiscent of Spec Ops: The Line, while the drone scene feels like Call of Duty. In fact, a good chunk of the film could easily take place in a Call of Duty game.

• Locked thread