Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The movie fails because it doesn't show him shooting looters from the roof of the astrodome, doesn't show him beating up Jesse Ventura, and doesn't show him killing two carjackers and then having the responding officers call the Pentagon on a secret phone number to explain that everything is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Which sounds about right, considering his claimed kill count is more than twice as high as the deadliest snipers in Vietnam. Maybe it's not really a big deal, but I always thought it was kind of odd how many more kills he had than anyone else in Iraq or Afghanistan. Maybe his quote above is full of poo poo, he certainly has no qualms about lying. But his kill count would certainly make more sense if half of the Iraqi population was considered a legitimate target.
Having more kills than a Vietnam era sniper isn't particularly surprising. Snipers in Vietnam were exactly what we all think of when we hear the word. The role of the sniper in Iraq was a huge shift from tradition, with most shots being made from relatively short distance and with the sniper moving at the same pace, sometimes faster, than the infantry.

I forget if it was Chris Kyle himself or another sniper, but I remember a quote something along the lines of 'snipers used to wait days for a shot, in Iraq we waited minutes'

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Smoothrich posted:

I just finished rewatching The Pacific where every other line or scene is about killing subhuman savage warrior japs and the hate fear and massive amounts of killing with all the hosed up veterans who survive the experience and get changed for the worse. Where's the liberal moral outrage over those innocent misunderstood imperial Japanese soldiers and the monstrous Marines who wrote memoirs about their service and conditioning to kill?
Everything else in your post has been responded to, but this stuck out to me. Do you really not see the difference in tone between American Sniper and The Pacific? The Pacific is a pretty brutal depiction of american soldiers in a war that American film makers almost never depict in anything but a 'God bless our soldiers!!' way. It was fairly shocking coming from the people behind Band Of Brothers.

It has admittedly been awhile since I saw it, but I remember being deeply uncomfortable frequently by the actions of the soldiers. American Sniper? Not so much.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Wade Wilson posted:

No, he's right. People cared less about the number of people killed than the fact that somebody flew a plane into each of the buildings and brought them down, striking down the biggest monuments to companies like Morgan Stanley in the country (the company occupied 20 floors in the South Tower and another 10 floors of the North Tower).
... Who feels this way? Like, there is undoubtedly some symbolism in the choice of targets, but I think the average person wouldn't have given a poo poo if a plane, empty of civilians, crashed into two empty buildings. I certainly wouldn't have. Chris Kyle, American Goddamned Hero Sniper, probably wouldn't have.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cole posted:

People don't care about either one after a week or so.

Except for that decade long period where people rallied behind two false narrative wars and surrendered a ton of personal freedoms in the name of security?

I guess we could have all collectively committed suicide out of grief? I mean honestly, what would have been a more lasting impact from that day then what has happened to this country since?

I look at this post and see snark, and I apologize. But I am genuinely taken aback by your claim. Memorials have been made, millions have traveled to the site to pay their respects, foreign policy and civil liberties have drastically changed, wars have been waged, once a year there are tributes on tv, the date itself has become permanently attached to the event in a way that literally no other event in our country's history has, etc, etc.

People care. And I don't think it's because of Merrill Lynch.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cole posted:

You might as well ask me what a justified invasion of a country by the US looks like.

I have no idea, but I can tell you what the contrary looks like, with evidence.

I mean..... Seriously, please answer the question, because I am at a total loss. You are, of course, correct that people make donations and then go on with their lives - The other option would be for the entire population of this country to lay prostrate in the street wailing in agony and misery for the last 14 years.

People go to funerals, and then the next day they are back at work. They clearly didn't care about the loved one they lost.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cole posted:

Did I slip into mandarin when I said "i don't know"?

OK, more directly then - Why should I, as you say, care about the military when I am at Walmart? Because you are absolutely right - When I am at Walmart I care about getting cheap merchandise and trying not to stab the 8th person in the last 5 minutes to bump into me because they weren't watching where they were walking. Why on earth would I care about the military every waking moment of my life? What would that look like?

I also can't help but notice this has somehow become about the military, when the original argument was nobody cared about the dead civilians of 9/11. I am sorry if, as a vet you feel underappreciated - For what it's worth, I think American vets are probably the most venerated soldiers of any nation on this earth.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cole posted:

You shouldn't care directly about the military machine as if it were something related to you (you should care about the individual troops even if you don't agree with the politics that put them wherever they are at -- but the people in charge? gently caress 'em, even I'll say that). That is unrealistic given the climate of Iraq in from 2003 on, and I don't have any expectations of anyone to see the military in a favorable light. You should, however, care that several planes were hijacked and 2,900 people died considering you are indirectly feeling the effects of it right now (you just don't know it because you still have all of the same luxuries you had back then). And you should care about the military response to that, and whether it is justified. But you don't care about any of that, nor will you try to change anything, unless it is convenient. Nobody does.

(A common justification for inaction is "I can't change anything." You're right, because you don't do anything.)

I actually care about what has happened to the United States in a post-9/11 world. I think the government has used it as propaganda (a twisted problem in itself) to gain more control over everything. For example: data mining your information from everything you do on the internet. The problem is you don't see any tangible effects of that, so nobody worries.
I seriously can't keep track of what you are arguing. What are you personally doing that you wish the rest of the population would do? What could I do to prove that I care, as the original argument was worded, more about the civilians that died on 9/11 than the property damage incurred?

You say I should care about the individual troops, but again, what does that mean in your estimation? Should I be sending care packages? How frequently? You have already indicated one time donations are meaningless gestures. What can individuals do over a 14 year period to show they care?

You also seem to think I am unaware of the changes that came about from 9/11 when my original argument was that 9/11 drastically changed civil liberties.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

So, is this movie better or worse than Sniper?
I legitimately love the first Sniper. Probably just because of how much I liked it as a kid, but I would definitely rather watch plain ol' Sniper vs American Sniper.

And I think it arguably portrays a broken man at least as well as American Sniper, which is pretty damning for the latter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Love the tough guy talk as a deflection. Why the gently caress would I be in Fallujah?

To prove you're a man, you Prius driving pussy. Until you have killed as many savages as Chris Kyle, you don't deserve to judge him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Smoothrich posted:

And the spraypainting their logo like a gang tag claiming territory is actually interesting. Psych ops poo poo. They were probably trained in it. So is ISIS.
Well as long as ISIS is also doing it, I think it's fair to say we are in a moral safe zone here.

Now, the second an American soldier does something worse than ISIS, I will be the first to consider possibly criticizing them.

• Locked thread