Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ludo Friend posted:

As a new player what I currently see are buzzsaw lawnmower's (tiny fast tesla robots) , anti air cannons that seem to one shot most starting designs, and lots of flyers.

The lawnmower's and flyers feel only slightly unfair, but can be mitigated against by terrain. The one shot anti air guns are just not fun however.

Apart from that I am enjoying making robots and slamming them into other robots!

I didn't, and still don't, see many lawnmowers (though I'm kind of working on one, since I found an epic Tesla) but I saw a lot of tiny drone things. Which made it really awesome when I found the AA gun after like my second or third match and quickly became one of those assholes one-shotting everything forever. I have to say, the biggest dick-move I've ever seen so far has been a bot that was just a single mech leg (one of the heavier ones, don't know which) and the goliath plasma launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Is MM influenced by level? Because I feel like it's impossible to make a bot cheap enough to avoid shitguns and homing lasers. Good on them for recognizing that new players aren't going to deal with that. Bad on them for not realizing old players don't want to deal with that.

With crazy shotguns what's even the point of the blades. They're easier to knock off and lower range and unreliable for damage. They aren''t even a second weapon you can use at the same time anymore. I've been spoiled by that one period when midsize hoverbots managed to get past the Slow As poo poo speed limit.

Levels technically don't exist anymore, each player has an invisible, weighted score based on Kills/Death, Win/Loss, and CPU Usage. So new players are more likely to see other new players, and small-bot twinks are less likely to be in a new-player game, but it is possible to get some shotgun rear end in a top hat if there are not enough new players to fill out two full teams, or if a new player lucks out and gets a legendary out of one of their boxes.

There is a difference between shotguns and blades: cpu load. Blades are cheap and designed to be used as a last resort while shotguns are designed to be a primary weapon:

-Ion Distorter (Shotgun)
CPU Load: 245
Damage: 250,000 damage per shot
Energy Cost: 28 per shot

-Tesla Blade
CPU Load: 24
Damage: 101,000 per touch
Energy Cost: 14 Per shot

So technically, blades are extremely efficient compared to the shotgun, but are infinitely harder to use.
I think moving forward, the dev team should consider making a rare form of shield that includes blades on the front, so they can perform double duty of damage protection and emergency battering ram.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

RIP artbots. :(

Yeah, it's not nearly as fun any more since I can't use my massive wealth to roll down tier with a hilarious giant dong bot that shoots plasma out the tip.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ You might be able to pull off something like that if you keep your CPU load low. I just helped steam-roll a team with a bot that's about 350 CPU's. Two bison treads, two normal treads, 3 of the blue railguns and lots of blocks. The other guys went heavy on helicopters with what seemed to be basic rotor blades and weapons, so I was able to park at a spot near their base and snipe the poo poo out of them.

Edit: I'm also level 15 and can build bots with a load of up to 650 or something like that.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 3, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Minor Changes to loot have been made.

Mask items have a smaller % of dropping, in return they've been downgrade from Purple (Rare) so you won't lose out on a actual good item roll.

Higher tier boxes are less likely to have commons now with the rarest (Protonium) no longer having any chance of commons.

They also fixed aeroflak dealing extra damage to ground targets, but haven't bothered to fix weapon balance so rails still rule the roost.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The matchmaking and loot systems have teamed up to make my gaming hell. I've gotten a bunch of decent close range weapons, so I decided to make a Tesla hover with a bunch of electro shields. Every time I bring it into multiplayer I end up matched against fliers and/or exclusively rail mechs on very open maps. That makes for oh so much fun.

I still haven't even seen a rail outside the premium section from my loot, or any helo blades. I do not seem to be having much luck.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

So I heard about this "asymmetrical warfare" concept... :downs:

Seriously, though, it works well. I can unleash a vigorous plasma broadside and if I happen to hit somewhere that's not the legs or multi-shielded it tends to take them down about half health before my batteries drain.

I've also been forced to get good with leading and arcing my shots because 100% of the time I'm matched against flyers.

I'm slightly annoyed by the preponderance of people with shotguns, missile launchers, and flak guns when I'm stuck with a handful of rares, but that's entirely old guard entitlement. If you'd told me before they made the change to robits that the best part to stockpile would be speedometers, I'd have laughed in your face. Seriously, it is the most valuable part I have. :negative:

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I know this thread doesn't get many posts these days, but there's a big QoL update that just came out with a lot of good stuff:
http://robocraftgame.com/smart-weapons-update/

Pruned quote, more details in the link:

Robocraft posted:

Smart Weapons
Only weapons that can see your target will fire
If you have many weapons that cannot see the target you will get reduced fire-rate and therefore reduced DPS, so building Robots well still matters

New Weapon – Ion Destabilizer
Ion Destabilizer is a mini version of the Ion Distorter
Where the Ion Distorter fires 19 projectiles in a single shot, the Destabilizer fires 11 with the same spread
Its CPU cost is 145 (vs. the Distorter which is 245)

Garage Changes
You can now have up to 100 free Garage Bays
We have changed the garage widget to incorporate naming your Robot and dismantling your Robot on the thumbnail widget itself which frees up a lot of screen space
We have added controls so that you can re-order your Garage bays

Strafing Hovers and Thrusters
‘Camera controls steering’ now works with both Hover Blades and Thrusters
So your Hovers can strafe

It is also possible to create strafing Copters, Rocket Sleds and Drones if you know how
We will eventually support the ‘Camera controls steering’ scheme on all movement types. If you’re curious how it would work with Wheels, Tanks, or Airplanes then think Halo 5. Remember, this is always totally optional and down to your personal preference

UX/UI Changes
We’ve made a few usability changes to the User Interface designed to help new users ‘learn’ Robocraft a little better and to improve the look and feel of Robocraft
Edit Robot now feels like a ‘game mode’, so the game feels more like a traditional game with a Main Menu where you have a mouse, and then a bunch of ‘Game Modes’ where you are in FPS controls
The Edit Robot, Play Game and ‘Select Robot’ buttons have been merged into one single button that simply says ‘PLAY’
Clicking on ‘PLAY’ brings up a simple menu with options in the order of your typical game flow, i.e. Edit Robot, then Test Robot, then Single Player, then Team Deathmatch, then Battle Arena, etc, we’ve also improved this menu visually
You’ll now see a very short splash screen when you transition into and out of Edit Mode, making it consistent with all other game modes, and helping to emphasize the transition from ‘mouse cursor UI’ to ‘FPS controls’

Edit Mode Changes
We’ve removed the mouse clickable buttons on the top of the Edit Mode, so no more ‘Hold CTRL to get mouse control’
All shortcuts in Edit Mode still work as before, so you can still speedily get around the game if you are already adept at it
We’ve added two small hints for ‘Q’ and ‘T’ to help new users get into the game
Note, we have a full Tutorial in development, so these changes are in place of a Tutorial, they are just simple things we can do to help new users learn the game whilst we’re developing the full tutorial
We’ve added a new larger cooler looking CPU bar at the bottom of the screen
The new CPU bar shows you how much CPU you have used, and how much placing the next cube will use, showing it as red if the next cube will take you over max CPU
We have added build error feedback in the form of a small animated popup that informs you why you cannot place a block (i.e. if it’s overlapping, or if you’re over max CPU, or if the mirrored version is overlapping, etc.)
New music has been added to the Main Menu (Select Robot) mode

Other Changes
CTRL is now ‘Down’ as opposed to ‘SHIFT’, this is to mimic ‘Crouch’ in most FPS games where in most FPS games ‘SHIFT’ is ‘Run’, we’ll probably support ‘Run’ on ‘SHIFT’ in Edit Mode soon too
Tesla Blades damage reduced slightly as follows, Small Tesla – no changes (still 45000), Middle Tesla – by 7% (from 67500 to 63000), Big Tesla – by 15% (from 101250 to 88200)
Respawn invulnerability duration (i.e. super heal after spawn) has been decreased in all game modes except Team Deathmatch. It’s 15 seconds in TDM and 3 seconds in The Pit and Battle Arena (inc. League Arena). Heal power was increased to help ensure invulnerability after respawn
We’ve added special effect and audio feedback to help you to see when a player is invulnerable after respawn, so you don’t waste power trying to kill them during this time
Reduced the delay when Rare items drop in crates, to speed up crate animations and help emphasize when Epic and Legendarys drop more. Note, we plan to allow you to speed up these animations and open Crates when you like in future, we just haven’t got that stuff done yet
[NEW] The new key for pings during a battle is E by default – This shouldn’t affect existing players
[NEW] The new control for ‘go down’ is Ctrl instead of shift – This shouldn’t affect existing players
[NEW] Players who previously selected “Keyboard controls steering” will have all their bays set to that, and can change to “Camera controls steering” from each individual garage bay, and vise versa.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I ran into a full platoon of Cacodemons swarming the skies twice today. First time around I was against them and they wrecked me hard. Second time I was on their team, and they utterly annihilated the opposing team. it's actually incredible that they did as well as they did, but they're unbelievably hard to hit because of their small size. add to it they were really well organized in how they attacked, and they created a major field of confusion for anybody playing against them.

I want one, I need one of these!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Last time I played, they released the uh micro nano missile shooty gun. I bought two and did pretty well. Then a patch came and I couldn't do anything with them.

How are they now? I never run with multiple weapon types.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Inzombiac posted:

Last time I played, they released the uh micro nano missile shooty gun. I bought two and did pretty well. Then a patch came and I couldn't do anything with them.

How are they now? I never run with multiple weapon types.

The current Protoseekers are actually pretty deadly: At full loadout of 4 guns they have a very high fire rate, and with that loadout, they'll outdamage their closest equivalent (Wasp Lasers) while also hitting way more consistently. Drawback is that they're close-ranged only, and that their firepower falls off heavily once they lose a gun. There's also battery power and CPU to consider as well. Considering that you want to stick with just one weapon type, Protoseeker's a pretty good choice.

I'm really digging the control options that the cam-aiming method opens up, and thank god they finally buffed SMGs. Camera-view controls seem to open up the possibility of making spinning robots as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCfn2GR_Vo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
gently caress me this game has come a long way since the time I first tried it. :staredog:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've been playing this pretty much any free night I've gotten a chance. I really enjoy the tactical nature of the fights. I always end up with all flyers gunning straight at me because I love picking off their wings and propellers. Also the rail gun is sort of broken since it's a hit scan weapon that does butt loads of damage. It's very easy to pick up mech legs and then just hopping over them while their flounder. I have the Missile Launcher but I don't have enough CPU to mount it and the Laser Leviathan. Also having played all the propulsion methods the mech legs are easily the most maneuverable and beefy. Putting shields in front of them basically turns you into a tank destroyer.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
honestly the only major changes I've made to CONGRATULATIONS SHINJI since the big changes was to add railguns and a hover fan to it. Ever since it's been several times more viable now that I can snipe at assholes. (also the fan means I have a legitimate escape plan should my legs get blown off.) The FPS camera mode makes it mad easy to stay in the game too, I can refocus to anything really fast and the fan makes mech legs almost perfectly static while turning, it's insane how well the combo works together. It also means you move MUCH FASTER when jumping too.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 7, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I stuck a couple of plasma launchers on the front of my cheesecake and it's thoroughly viable now (I had a nasty shock that they'd removed the chainsaw functionality on nanobeams, but fortunately I was only doing single-player when I discovered that). The only problem is the removal of the pilot seat means my bugout seat isn't effective at all anymore. I also made a hover sword that does well, but not with the blade. 90% of my kills with it were with the "backup" guns I put on for flyers.

I sort of wish single-player had more options, like if you wanted to try out your build against flyers or knock off some chunks to see how it handles under stress.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I saw someone using a build that had tank treads for atorso armor and I HAD to try it. It's possibly the strongest armor in the game, I'm suprised I don't see it more often!

E: I played a few matches with this and it's the best walker I've ever played, holy cow!
E2: okay yeah sometimes it can get utterly annihilated by railgun fire. it's definitely in need of a blink module to be really effective. I'll have to get one of those soon.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 7, 2016

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Tread armor makes you an invincible juggernaut if you team up with a medic. If you're playing in Battle Arena, staying under your shield also ensures you basically never die making you a crazy defender. I should've figured that the HP buff to heavy parts would've made them even better as armor though.

Giant, singular targets are chump change for rails, even if the parts have good HP. That's just the nature of the weapon.

Speaking of weapons, robocraft's gonna get a chaingun:
http://robocraftgame.com/model-preview-chain-shredder/

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I hereby crib a boss name from Enter the Gungeon name this type of bot the Treadnaught.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I finally designed another actually successful robit. This time it's an overly complicated helicopter. It can survive for long periods without dying though, so i beat out all those idiots shoving blink modules in their fragile piles of garbage.

I named it 'Fat Pug Floats In' since i wanted to crib an Adventures of Skooks line.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The chaingun's out and it's a terrible weapon unless you have the recharge thing. Honestly I don't care about it enough to wanna waste more time on gimmicky weapons. Atleast the shotguns felt like they had a point.

E:

I love that the game lets you do stupid poo poo like this and is just okay with it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 20, 2016

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

That thing's basically a Jawa sandcrawler.

The chaingun from what I've seen in quick games, it looks pretty strong, but building up to its firing is a pain and I obviously can't get them because I don't have over a million RP and am not willing to spend money.

But for the next upcoming update, devs are planning to add struts (heavy aerorods) and a Center-Of-Mass indicator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEZgaJBchQ

http://robocraftgame.com/strut-your-stuff-update-coming-tomorrow/

Hopefully should make heavier bots more pretty to look at, and make planes not literally impossible to build.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also AoE weapons now actually do AoE damage when they hit a robot instead of the weird damage channeling system that forced them to add some other weird mechanics to prevent people from armoring their bots with guns.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I still have no clue what the hell "Anti-Gunbrella" is, its etymology as far as I can understand it is unbelievably stupid so good riddance.

Though this change would also spell the end of triforcing, wouldn't it?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bluhman posted:

I still have no clue what the hell "Anti-Gunbrella" is, its etymology as far as I can understand it is unbelievably stupid so good riddance.

Though this change would also spell the end of triforcing, wouldn't it?

This would be a good thing, because triforcing is incredibly tedious and, visually and functionally, wholly replaceable with just spacing out blocks.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Antigunbrella's tied to parts having now-hidden super-secret barrier and resistivity stats, one for plasma flak etc and one for rails and teslas. Basically if you use those weapons to shoot a part that has 30% barrier/resist, that part takes 30% of the hit as damage and passes the other 70% right into a part it's connected to, often severing it from the bot. This is why stuff like megawheels and wings are lost long before they run out of health, never mind how walker legs fall off if they think of plasma. This started so people couldn't cover themselves in guns and be extra tanky from all that weapon hp (gun umbrella yaay), and despite the awful consequences and many reworked systems it's lingered for ages.

Now that's getting ditched so every part eats 100% damage of the damage it takes, and damage'll only pass to the next part if the first one dies from it. Plus explosions are supposed to get occlusion mechanics to avoid the original "gunbrella problem," and whatever that ends up actually meaning, blasts should just damage exposed parts in range like you'd expect them to. (AOE in this game's always been a hack, every explosion just raycast-targets the closest part in range and "shoots" everything into that one part. My guess is the new model is actually the same thing only it'll target several parts instead and split the damage, we'll see tomorrow though.)

No idea why people think this kills triforcing/damage propagation (the heart of the game) or drones or whatever. Though making parts eat 100% of incoming damage does mean you lose the trick of mounting parts directly onto mech legs (or megashields, for a throwback) to use the mech shielding as a big dumb damage sink, and you likewise can't do fancier damage sinks with small shields on big parts. But other than that it's a big buff to a lot of parts, as they get to actually use their health pools now. We'll have to see how aoe works but it's likely stronger against stuff like walls of rods, rod-maze helicopters, etc.

This update also drops mech and tread weight by 90% for some reason, so feel free to put rotors on your mechs now.

OG17 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 4, 2016

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Ok, it was the part about the damage system being 'anti-gun-umbrella' I wasn't getting thanks. The current damage model (pour all damage into the nearest block hit and then deal a boatload of damage through that one block) certainly explains why plasma hits seem to do wildly inconsistent amounts of damage.

I guess part of what could kill triforcing is if the AoE propogation stops at blocks or not, or if the blast stops at each block it hits, or just spreads damage evenly within the blast radius. The latter seems like it would not only decimate triforced bots, but also any sort of mech/tank due to quickly losing connection points. That might explain the abrupt weight drop? Having that damage flow stop on a solid block would be optimal, but it does seem like it'd be harder for the game engine to handle.

e: I'm getting the impression that struts are going to be ungodly expensive in robits/whatever despite the fact they're just fatter aerorods.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 4, 2016

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
No reason to think explosions would carve spheres through bots (or randomly target interior parts), and that actually seems unlikely, as it'd be a completely different damage system and it'd also trivially sever parts by turning blocks to mush, defeating the purpose of changing things at all. Not that I haven't been horribly wrong before!

Price is just part cpu x rarity modifier, and struts are 9-15 cpu and of course they're epic why wouldn't they be epic, so they should cost 2,250 to 3,750 if it's normal values.

OG17 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 4, 2016

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Finally, I've achieved my dreams!

Now to work on getting more CPU so I can upgrade the legs and maybe do dual large weapons of some kind, like mega SMGs or lock-on rockets. This chassis is available in the store as "Flushmaster Chassis", if anyone else wants to live out their weird toilet-battling dreams.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The update's out, and it turns out that Low-tier shields (Size 1-3) have higher HP-per-CPU than high-grade shields. Guess that's the secret to being super-tanky, though each of those shields covers a smaller area.

Center of mass indicator is amazingly useful, I even experimented a bit with it and managed to create a test-flight-mech/plane with it. Shame the mech legs dangle so stupidly while in flight though.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 4, 2016

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

Now to work on getting more CPU so I can upgrade the legs and maybe do dual large weapons of some kind, like mega SMGs or lock-on rockets. This chassis is available in the store as "Flushmaster Chassis", if anyone else wants to live out their weird toilet-battling dreams.
A year and a half later and people are still living the toilet-driving-dream through this game. I think it's a legit success even if I don't play much anymore.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You can't drive a hover-toilet in WoT.

Therefore, etc.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I came back and played some matches and basically all my robots are now tankier than they already were. CONGRATULATIONS SHINJI is still an unstoppable nightmare but I'm glad all my fun bots got buffed to hell and back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Desideratus posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm just sad I can't mount it in the toilet bowl.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Played a few matches just now and my quincopter builds from months ago still work just fine. Placed first a couple of times and second in another, despite being rusty and just running my old plasma helis.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Was unlucky enough to have 2 matches in a row with cheaters, both on the opposing team. First time, a Teslaball turned into a loving ghost and shredded our protonium reactor impossibly fast. Second time was a helicopter that could go underneath the stage and shoot from the underside, which loitered around my team's protonium reactor and started unloading on it whenever no one was around.

In the second case, at least, I was able to get some screenshots and report them.

Sair
May 11, 2007

The second one is a bug that's been around forever. Sometimes you just fall through the terrain.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sair posted:

The second one is a bug that's been around forever. Sometimes you just fall through the terrain.

The sad part is there's an easy fix for that they have never ever bothered implementing: a kill/teleport trigger box.

I've used it in source mapping when making complex terrain that the player had a chance to fall through.

Good news! They're finally focusing on a clan/friends system!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Roboclans is is coming next week. I'll try to secure the Goons tag and made start a new thread since this one has a bunch of irrelevant information.

If anyone else wants to take leadership for the next big change, let me know.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I might start playing again with the advent of Roboclans. It seems like the game has changed a lot since I last played. Hopefully my bots are still fine! If not, I've got tons of parts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I still get wrecked all the time but I'm getting a good hang of everything now.

Any tips on making a stupidly fast and small dude to slam my laser blades into or shotgun to death?
I got a purple shotgun as a drop and love it but I'm typically too slow to use it on anything other than my missile tank as backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've never made one but every laser frisbee I've seen is usually covered in jet engines in all 4 directions so they can quickly zip in and out. I did see one guy who had a robot that had its engines in a swastika shape with a pair of laser blades and just spun around like a ninja star in the air. Pretty easy to shoot out of the sky but still hilarious to see.

• Locked thread