Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Did someone say gifs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

EMC posted:

He has been smashing it in the nets though mate

:eyepop:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Lol did that guy ever post again after everyone yelled at him?

He moved to the auspol d&d thread where we all had a "robust" discussion

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Steve Smith won Australian test and odi player of the year as well as the Allen border medal for overall cricketer of the year. His only challenge came from Warner.

Who took home the prized "Sledge of the Year" gong?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

What did he say/do?

quote:

"I've heard if you earn minimum wage in England you're in the top 10% earners in the world. #stay #humble."

Poor people, how do they work

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shane Watson can't be a Pakistani; he can't even fix his batting technique let alone a match

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Stick Cricket removed the "knocked over by a bouncer, dismissed hit wicket" animation from their iOS app out of respect for Phil Hughes :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

I came to see if this was posted.

I went through the comments and there are none trying to defend channel 9.

I was coming here to post it too :laugh:

Funny that nobody has tried to defend Nine's coverage, so I guess McNamara's in a meeting or something. Good to see that their woeful coverage is actually drawing a reaction from other media, but I'm not particularly hopeful that anything will change any time soon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shmoses posted:

This article is spot on.. Geoff Lemon is a great writer (and a product of my high school actually). The McNamara stuff is particularly unhinged, I'd read the Gideon Haigh comments, but the Roar article that he references is a level above. It's literally one throwaway line and McNamara comes in to mercilessly slate the guy:

Keep in mind that most of the articles at The Roar - including this guy's - are sourced from readers and very few columnists are professional or paid. Classy stuff from the head of cricket at Channel 9.

That's just absolutely bizarre :psyduck:

"Yeah Brad Haddin's a good mate of mine" - who loving cares? You're an executive director at Channel Nine, do you really need to resort to name-dropping cricketers?

IceAgeComing posted:

he's the sort of guy who buys an sa account to shout at people laughing at him, isn't he?

Oh god I hope so

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Brad McNamara's facebook fan page has 6 likes :laffo:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brad-McNamara/112697678743528

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This has to be the laziest clickbait I've ever seen

Who is this?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

20 off one over :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lmao you'd think of all people the umpires would understand the rules

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dunbar posted:

Sorry for the dumb question, but are you allowed to run when the ball just nicks off your pad rather than being batted?

Yep, though if it doesn't hit your bat you don't get credit for the run (it counts as Extras or Sundries).

You can also attempt a run even if the ball didn't hit anything, though this is pretty rare (usually when the wicketkeeper fucks up hilariously). Those runs are recorded as Byes

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

On the topic of India/Pakistan relations: they tend to get on really well in expat communities. I will be watching all the world cup with a load of Indians and Pakistanis and it will be great.

quote:

Cricket World Cup: Brawl erupts between India and Pakistan fans at Sydney RSL club

A Cricket World Cup match between India and Pakistan descended into violence when a fight broke out between about 40 fans at the Merrylands RSL on Sunday evening.

It was expected to be the biggest grudge match in the Cricket World Cup, and that animosity was on display among rival fans at the Merrylands RSL Club watching the showdown between India at Pakistan on Sunday night.

Four people were taken to hospital with a range of injuries after a wild brawl broke out between about 40 fans watching the match on a big screen at the club on Military Road about 9.30pm.

A NSW Police spokesman said a group of fans had gathered to watch the match, broadcast live from the Adelaide Oval, when tensions boiled over.

Chairs and tables were hurled across the room, and police confirmed one person was hit on the head by a glass that was thrown.

A witness said the brawl spilled out on to the street before police and paramedics arrived.

Police said three people were taken to Westmead Hospital and one was taken to Auburn Hospital with a range of injuries that were not life-threatening.

Police said the cause of the violence was not immediately known, and no arrests had been made.

Officers are expected to review CCTV footage of the brawl on Monday to determine if charges will be laid.

It was the first time India and Pakistan had faced off on the pitch in almost a year. Wars and wary politicians have preserved the rarity value of the fixture, which brings south Asia to a standstill.

About 1.3 billion people were expected to tune in to the match, with India enjoying a healthy World Cup dominance over Pakistan of late.

In Sunday night's match, Virat Kohli scored 107 to steer India to 7-300, while Pakistan suffered a middle-order collapse of 3-1 in reply, reaching a total of 224 all out in 47 overs.

India's 76-run win delivered the country a six-nil advantage over Pakistan in World Cup matches.

I don't disagree with your main point, but :laugh:
Must be the Australian influence, glassing someone over a cricket match

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Noxin of Shame posted:

This was a diamond duck, no?

A platinum duck is first ball of the innings (so, basically Martin Guptill).

Diamond duck is out for 0 without facing a ball, iirc?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Someone should do that for Australia.

Maxwell 25:17, "Playest thy natural game"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Gospel of Marsh, 0:1 "And lo, he didst but smash it in the nets"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lot of big scores so far this world cup. 300 seems to be about par.

big bats these days mate i tell ya what

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

EMC posted:

I wish they would keep the minnows in and just speed the schedule up a bit, is cricket so taxing on these guys that they can't play every other day or at most every three days?

Considering a Test goes for 5 consecutive days you'd think they could manage it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Great win for Ireland, genuinely happy to see it regardless of how shithouse the Windies were

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

4 golden ducks in one innings has to be a record of some sort, surely

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If NZ gently caress this up.... :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

They care less about crowd than tv revenue.

Side by side games basically half potential customers and the ICC is all about money.

So play a day game in NZ and then a day/night match in Australia, that way there's hardly any overlap.

Jeez do I have to think of everything around here

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yep. And also slogging skills honed from playing T20 etc.

I was watching a replay of Chris Gayle's 200 yesterday and this was insane, I don't think he hit a single boundary on the off side. Every shot was just a slog swipe over midwicket or a lofted on drive

edit; 157 leg side, 58 off side, including 15 of his 16 sixes :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

SA should go for 500 here

yeah i was just thinking they're well on track to score 450+

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

welp

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

This is a cool article describing why England is so good at cricket

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/03/the-spin-cricket-data-analysis-art-science

It's interesting how dated their thinking seems to be in this. Morgan still talking about aiming for 275 when it feels like Aus/NZ/SA/India are targeting 350+ first innings scores in every game of the WC

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Scylo posted:

I honestly thought they'd keep Watson and he'd come out and make a hundred today and then go back to being useless for the rest of the tournament. Now I just hope Smith can make a hundred at 3, and Faulkner makes some runs wherever he comes in and then we can be rid of Watson forever.

Yeah a (mostly) pressure-free game against minnow opposition sounds like prime territory for a Watson 83

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cpaf posted:

Michael Slater is apparently surprised by the decision to drop Watson

Slater's a known moron though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Shapoor is a large man who likes fast bowling, stunning insight from Michael Slater

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Phwoar

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Just noticed Warner hasn't hit a six yet, is this his highest score without one?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It is patronising but it probably is the best fast bowler pitch they've bowled on.

I'm sure they've played on a few minefields in their time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maxwell most productive shots vs spin:

Reverse sweep
On side slog
Slog sweep

Quality batting imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

maxwell highest odi strike rate :stare:
and then he follows up with a shot so bad even warney cant be positive

Holy loley gunna need a gif of that "shot"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Warne is awful. Like mind bogglingly bad.

Yeah, it's kinda crazy someone is paid to give their opinion and observations on the game and the best can manage is chuckling and phwoar

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

EMC posted:

Maxwell a legit chance to beat Smith to 100

Yep :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bowled a few accidental beamers.

Feels like their only option for stopping Maxwell atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Clarke having a trundle. If his back wasn't made of chalk he would have been a handy bowler when needed.

Clarke's always been a handy bowler at times, remember when he took 6 wickets against India that time :psyduck: