Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Someone give the poor bloke a lead helmet or something to make him normal again :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

so it turns out that stuart broad is a bit of a cock

What did he say/do?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's not quite the same tier as the guy who drew a bunch of pictures of Tendulkar but its close.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Brad McNamara is a cock that knows as much about cricket as my gran does

I didn't think Google picked up stuff mentioned on the forums?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shmoses posted:

This is amazing. I also suspects he edits his own wikipedia entry:

or maybe Brad Haddin does - I hear they're great mates

Someone should go and stick a bunch of 'citation neededs' through that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

loving lol at peter Moores "going back to look at the data", my god what a dipshit. Someone with patience/skill put together a sequence of him "looking at the data" on his ipad then revealing dickbutt on the ipad screen tia.

quote:

Michael Vaughan‏@MichaelVaughan
My Hawkeye Data tells me i can only manage to chase down 4 pints in the next 45 mins......

Michael Vaughan @MichaelVaughan · Mar 9
Jet lag.........Data tells me it should only last a couple of days......

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is it still White Anglo Saxon Protestant in this context (whatever the context here is)?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

-Spiffy- posted:

De Kock fails again.

But enough about your relationship problems

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

subroc posted:

It was JUST ok.

Looks like he's a thalidomide kid from that angle.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

I blame Mark Nicholas for introducing the term "square cover" into the lexicon of bad cricket commentary. You can be square in the covers or at cover point, but there is no such fielding position as square cover.

Or reverse square mid wicket, as they are calling it these days...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

Adam Voges is on 100* at stumps of the Shield final. I don't know if anyone has noticed because of the World Cup (I haven't seen anything this thread), but Voges has completely dominated the Shield this year. He currently has 1315 runs at an average of 109.58 with 6 centuries. It's a pity that he is 35, if someone ten years younger had these numbers everyone would be creaming their pants over him, but I've barely heard a peep.

Rather have him in the test team atm instead of Watson or Darsh.

He was named in the test squad a few times but at the time the batting was pretty strong and he couldn't get a look in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

goatface posted:

Do you think anyone's tried doing the full "track which side of the wicket, type of delivery, length, shot played" etc for every ball yet? I imagine it would be an insane task.

It wouldn't be that hard now every ball is trackable and I'd be surprised if people weren't already collecting that sort of stuff to try and get some useful info out of it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Drugs posted:

That presumably gross old toff should spend a couple of back to back 105 over days in the field during an Australian summer

I'm sure the boffins at that sports science uni the English cricket team calls home will come up with some stats to enable them to cope.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The rookie commentators they get in on the ABC are almost always really good. The older ones are good too, I can't think of a single Grandstand commentator that really pisses me off the way the Ch9 ones do.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Poor Richie. Marvelous innings,though.

I wonder what Ch9 will do now what was essentially their only redeeming feature is no longer with us?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Scylo posted:

Robelinda uploaded a Richie Benaud video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7o2KTxK6a4

Just watched the whole thing. The pauses where he just lets the ambient noise through really stick out, you never get that these days except sometimes on the radio. Even Grandstand is guilty of it a bit but at least they have some insightful stuff being discussed instead of the blokey poo poo Ch9 proffers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What was that about?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

goatface posted:

Somerset have also done a collapse for 90. The competition is good this year.

So lots of batsmen putting their hands up for the national side in the lead up to the Ashes?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Who is Ben Wheeler?

Is it Kiwi for wheelie bin?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Yep the pressure kills fast bowlers when he is hitting it like that. Realistically the bowler needs to probably keep following him with the ball but he's so quick at adjusting. Yorkers are just going to end up as a full toss hit for six.

Try and cut off his room and he just keeps dead still and punches it through the on side.

What happens if you bowl at the top of off stump?

Doctor Cave posted:

No balls that went to the boundary?

Those would be byes or runs to the batsman in that case.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Drugs posted:

A no-ball that misses everything and goes for 4 is 5 no balls. There can't be two types of extras in the same ball

We always put them down as byes because technically the wicketkeeper should have stopped it, I didn't know they were all supposed to be no balls.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Byolante posted:

Bell, Broad, Anderson, Cook, Root are already in the side so its not like being a wanker is something they are unwilling to tolerate.

You can be a wanker as long as you vote Tory I guess.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's probably all of those.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Would the tory boys club running the show even tolerate having a convict as head coach?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Scylo posted:

Gary Ballance looks very unhappy in his intro photo thing

I'd be unhappy if I had to represent England too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

SCJ Broad could have turned up to that corporate event the other day completely hosed out of his skull, vomited and then poo poo himself and he would still not be dropped.

You don't have to be part of the tory boys club for that kind of privilege though:

quote:

Gower has been involved in a number of alcohol-related off-field incidents. In 1999, Gower exposed himself to a female Irish tourist in a Coogee bar, blaming his behaviour on alcohol intoxication. He was dumped from the Kangaroos squad and fined A$2,500 by the NRL and a further A$500 in court after pleading guilty to indecent exposure.[16]

In December 2005, Gower was fired as Panthers captain[17] after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Mitchell Pearce with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife[18] to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police.[19] Gower was handed a "final warning" by the National Rugby League and fined A$100,000, with A$90,000 to be paid to an NRL programme encouraging the responsible use of alcohol by league players and $10,000 to replace the destroyed golf cart.[20] Gower was "deeply unhappy" that the Penrith Panthers club did not defend his reputation, and at one stage threatened to "walk" from the club.[21]

Allegedly inebriated with alcohol in a bar at Kings Cross on 11 February 2007, Gower allegedly tried to kiss one man before biting him on the neck and sparking a brawl, and is accused of assaulting another man.[22][23] The Panthers club controversially reappointed Gower as captain in 2007, claiming the Peppermint Lounge incident was just a media "beat-up"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Gower

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tarbrush posted:

So, uh, how bad is Trevor Bayliss?

Should I be storming the barricades at this point?

He's an Australian so he's almost certainly better than the local options at least.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Seams posted:

Chris Rogers is going to miss the first test because he suffered a concussion in the nets. Apparently Shaun Marsh is going to replace him.

The great Shaun Marsh project continues.

:negative:

This is the perfect opportunity to give some young player a taste of test cricket. Instead we get that hack.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shmoses posted:

We don't have any young players over there and he's clearly in our best XI at present

Why don't they send a few over then?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clXyhFw6DqQ Sometimes forget how much of a boss Botham was.

Is that Big Daryl Eastlake commentating with Bill Lawry? Also for a fun drinking game, drink everytime Bill says "great all rounder".

edit: no it's Maxie Walker of course, I haven't actually heard him for real outside of my 12th man cassettes :allears:

haha Billy Birmingham nailed Max Walker. I'd never heard him irl until now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Who the gently caress is that?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Being a bowling coach has got to be fairly easy. Try and hit the stumps, don't chuck it, keep your front foot behind the loving line. Job done.

Until the spreadsheet tells you a bloke needs to have his technique fixed that is...

e: beaten like a redheaded step son

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Seams posted:

Lots of legendary players would probably make poo poo coaches fwiw

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Don't know how many of you read reddit but Jimmy Neesham just did an ama over on /r/cricket. Said he'd probably do some more in the morning so if any of you kiwis want to ask him some hard hitting questions like what he eats for breakfast now is your chance. He seems like a decent bloke.

Ask him why NZ are poo poo at winning world cups.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That really is a remarkable turnaround for a guy who couldn't hold his place in the team as a bowler who could bat a little a few years ago. I'd love to know what he did. Hopefully CA is taking notes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Stuart Broad at 48, Ian Bell at 44 and Matt Prior at 43.

Why so high?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

More likely scared of losing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

They may as well have sent Brian Taylor.

HE COMES IN TO BOWL, THE YOUNG KID FROM THE NSW FOO - UH - CRICKET FACTORY WHAT A BALL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT DEFENDED BACK DOWN THE PITCH BY THE BATSMAN OH BOY WOWEE HE REALLY IS THE COMPLETE PACKAGE ISN'T HE HEALS?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

could you imagine BT and warne sitting in a booth together

It'd be five days of BT trying to get invited to Warne's next sex and coke party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

chyaroh posted:

Can we just sack the lot and send Billy Birmingham over there to commentate instead? Please?

Can he do the footy as well?