Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just something with the best support for web surfing. It's kind of a shame to trash a G5 with 4GB RAM but MacOS is a no go at version 10.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

redeyes posted:

Just something with the best support for web surfing. It's kind of a shame to trash a G5 with 4GB RAM but MacOS is a no go at version 10.5.

I ended up keeping Leopard and running TenFourFox as a browser - it's a relatively new version of Firefox that's been backported to run well on Tiger and Leopard. Runs very well on my G5 iMac.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You could always throw Ubuntu on there. It's only got community support but it's updated regularly and should work well.

I wouldn't recommend using OSX versions that old, they'd likely be riddled with security issues.

Having said all that you'd probably be better off just dumping it and getting a cheap, low powered Celeron-based computer. Even the newer Chromebooks (with the Celeron 2955U) are roughly equivelent in power to the G5. CPUs have come a long way in a decade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SwissCM posted:

I wouldn't recommend using OSX versions that old, they'd likely be riddled with security issues.

Having said all that you'd probably be better off just dumping it and getting a cheap, low powered Celeron-based computer. Even the newer Chromebooks (with the Celeron 2955U) are roughly equivelent in power to the G5. CPUs have come a long way in a decade.

I wouldn't be real worried of attacks on the internet running a PowerPC.

I also like the Chromebook idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I wouldn't be real worried of attacks on the internet running a PowerPC.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't recommend people run Windows 98 on the internet either. Some security issues can pop up across a huge number of revisions.
But yeah it really just comes down to the computer being obsolete. Unless you need it for some obscure software, or you're a collector/nostalgic there isn't much of a reason to run an old Mac. The G5s were pretty power hungry too so you're using up money there.
Sell the G5 on ebay and get a (x86-based) Chromebook or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SwissCM posted:

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't recommend people run Windows 98
Windows 98 is still going to run on Intel though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

Windows 98 is still going to run on Intel though

Not all security problems are buffer overflows or otherwise depend on CPU architecture.

I agree that such platforms are unlikely to be targeted, but not everything needs to be targeted that specifically.

Seconding the suggestion of choose your favorite PPC Linux distro if you insist on using it rather than an old version of OS X, but also seconding the point that it's such a power hungry old machine that it really doesn't make sense to use anymore.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I ended up keeping Leopard and running TenFourFox as a browser - it's a relatively new version of Firefox that's been backported to run well on Tiger and Leopard. Runs very well on my G5 iMac.

After trying 5 different distros including Yellow Dog and Lubuntu I went back to 10.5 and TenFourFox. Linux acceleration is non existent so OSX seems best but man, that G5 seems slower than I remember. Oh well. Maybe I'll hack the poo poo out of the case or something.

I bet this stupid thing will never die. It comes from the era when Apple made good stuff.

quote:

Good point. This is mostly me being stupid and trying to find a use for it. I have plenty of computers.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 21, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I bet this stupid thing will never die. It comes from the era when Apple made good stuff.

As long as you didn't have the high end G5!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gentoo

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

redeyes posted:

After trying 5 different distros including Yellow Dog and Lubuntu I went back to 10.5 and TenFourFox. Linux acceleration is non existent so OSX seems best but man, that G5 seems slower than I remember. Oh well. Maybe I'll hack the poo poo out of the case

I'm insane and bought a mSata 240gb 840 Evo when newegg had that big sale, put it in a $12 msata-to-SATA case and chucked it into my old Mac Pro G5 tower. Even with the PATA limitations, it seems fast as hell until you try something like running HD YouTube video or ripping DVD's.

I took another G5 case and modded it for a MATX mobo, then made a Hackintosh out of it - even got the front ports, LED and all six fans working. I highly recommend this course of action if you like the old cheese grater cases as much as I do.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

Roughly?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

10.4 is clearly a better OS for it than 10.5, on the basis that you can still install Classic on 10.4 and then install After Dark screensavers in the OS9 classic environment

:colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My chromebook is a little slower than my old Core Duo Mac Book Pro, which was a little faster than the G5.

But they're also completely different architectures, so yeah, roughly.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

My chromebook is a little slower than my old Core Duo Mac Book Pro, which was a little faster than the G5.

What benchmark are you making this comparison with?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FWIW, MacBook Pro (Mid 2007) scores 3296

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What benchmark are those scores from?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What benchmark are those scores from?

I'd guess Geekbench

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

I'm not calling you out, and I could be wrong - but the 2995U is twice as fast as that benchmark.

I just want to understand where you are coming from. Were you posting from a perspective of benchmarks or user experience?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm not calling you out, and I could be wrong - but the 2995U is twice as fast as that benchmark.

I just want to understand where you are coming from. Were you posting from a perspective of benchmarks or user experience?

Faulty memory perhaps. It's been a while since I looked it up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't recommend people run Windows 98 on the internet either.

For what it's worth, I've actively attempted to get my old Windows 98 computer (which I run using a CompactFlash card as the hard drive, making restoring to a fresh backup easy as hell from my modern computer) infected with poo poo, and nothing seems to work these days.

You have trouble actually doing a bunch of internet things in general because the hardware's passed by, but all the drive-bys out there seem to want an NT kernel to gently caress up, you just get "not a valid win32 app" on 98.

A version of OS X old enough to still handle PowerPC is going to be much the same.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

For what it's worth, I've actively attempted to get my old Windows 98 computer (which I run using a CompactFlash card as the hard drive, making restoring to a fresh backup easy as hell from my modern computer) infected with poo poo, and nothing seems to work these days.

You have trouble actually doing a bunch of internet things in general because the hardware's passed by, but all the drive-bys out there seem to want an NT kernel to gently caress up, you just get "not a valid win32 app" on 98.

A version of OS X old enough to still handle PowerPC is going to be much the same.

Stick to the web rings you trust.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I bricked my dad's Windows 98 box installing a DOS game from the bargain bin :shobon:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

redeyes posted:

Gentoo and Debian both have pretty good PowerPC support. Debian probably has the most up-to-date packages.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Stick with Leopard. It's killer. You can go crazy if you want and mod it to make it look... somewhat newer. Search for Mountain Lion theme for Leopard, for instance.

Go with Tiger if you want to run classic Mac apps. I rarely do, so Leopard is good enough for me.

TenFourFox is really secure and does not rely on the built-in and outdated security features of Leopard. Webkit-Leopard is a more updated version of Safari for PPC machines, but it's not as secure as TenFourFox. With an older SSD and 8 GB of RAM, those G5s are still pretty useable and fun to tinker with. The TenFourFox blog has a lot of links and info you can explore.

Bad news is that Dropbox is cutting support this May, so people are having to look for workarounds for that kind of stuff. If the computer works, use it till it dies, unless you can find someone who will buy it off of you for a decent price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

RocketLunatic posted:

unless you can find someone who will buy it off of you for a decent price.

I'd be tempted to use the fact Apple gear keeps its value and get rid of it, since it's just taking up space and eating up power without being better than something like an Intel NUC that would use almost no space or power. But I know it can be fun to play with old gear, for sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

I'd be tempted to use the fact Apple gear keeps its value and get rid of it, since it's just taking up space and eating up power without being better than something like an Intel NUC that would use almost no space or power. But I know it can be fun to play with old gear, for sure.

PowerMac G5s definitely don't keep their value. They typically go for $99 to $200, and they cost $2000 to $3300 brand new.

Same sort of deal with PowerMac G4s and especially the various iMacs, they can go for as low as $50 and rarely top $200.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

PowerMac G5s definitely don't keep their value. They typically go for $99 to $200, and they cost $2000 to $3300 brand new.

Same sort of deal with PowerMac G4s and especially the various iMacs, they can go for as low as $50 and rarely top $200.

Sell it, get this.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

sports posted:

Debian probably has the most up-to-date packages.

Only in the land of 9 years dead consumer products could this statement ever be made.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I fully support you if you want to use old hardware for fun. However if you really just want to web surf because it'd be a shame to throw it away, I vote for throw it away, since your cell phone is more capable and featured than that computer for web browsing.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

1gnoirents posted:

I fully support you if you want to use old hardware for fun. However if you really just want to web surf because it'd be a shame to throw it away, I vote for throw it away, since your cell phone is more capable and featured than that computer for web browsing.

I'd encourage you to make sure it goes to a reputable e-waste service. I'm not sure, but apple may even have a takeback program.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd encourage you to make sure it goes to a reputable e-waste service. I'm not sure, but apple may even have a takeback program.

They do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't you dare throw away the most powerful Amiga ever made!

http://www.morphos-team.net/ :furcry:

• Locked thread