Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't recommend people run Windows 98 on the internet either.

For what it's worth, I've actively attempted to get my old Windows 98 computer (which I run using a CompactFlash card as the hard drive, making restoring to a fresh backup easy as hell from my modern computer) infected with poo poo, and nothing seems to work these days.

You have trouble actually doing a bunch of internet things in general because the hardware's passed by, but all the drive-bys out there seem to want an NT kernel to gently caress up, you just get "not a valid win32 app" on 98.

A version of OS X old enough to still handle PowerPC is going to be much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

I'd be tempted to use the fact Apple gear keeps its value and get rid of it, since it's just taking up space and eating up power without being better than something like an Intel NUC that would use almost no space or power. But I know it can be fun to play with old gear, for sure.

PowerMac G5s definitely don't keep their value. They typically go for $99 to $200, and they cost $2000 to $3300 brand new.

Same sort of deal with PowerMac G4s and especially the various iMacs, they can go for as low as $50 and rarely top $200.

• Locked thread