Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just something with the best support for web surfing. It's kind of a shame to trash a G5 with 4GB RAM but MacOS is a no go at version 10.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I ended up keeping Leopard and running TenFourFox as a browser - it's a relatively new version of Firefox that's been backported to run well on Tiger and Leopard. Runs very well on my G5 iMac.

After trying 5 different distros including Yellow Dog and Lubuntu I went back to 10.5 and TenFourFox. Linux acceleration is non existent so OSX seems best but man, that G5 seems slower than I remember. Oh well. Maybe I'll hack the poo poo out of the case or something.

I bet this stupid thing will never die. It comes from the era when Apple made good stuff.

quote:

Having said all that you'd probably be better off just dumping it and getting a cheap, low powered Celeron-based computer. Even the newer Chromebooks (with the Celeron 2955U) are roughly equivelent in power to the G5. CPUs have come a long way in a decade.

Good point. This is mostly me being stupid and trying to find a use for it. I have plenty of computers.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread