Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You could always throw Ubuntu on there. It's only got community support but it's updated regularly and should work well.

I wouldn't recommend using OSX versions that old, they'd likely be riddled with security issues.

Having said all that you'd probably be better off just dumping it and getting a cheap, low powered Celeron-based computer. Even the newer Chromebooks (with the Celeron 2955U) are roughly equivelent in power to the G5. CPUs have come a long way in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I wouldn't be real worried of attacks on the internet running a PowerPC.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't recommend people run Windows 98 on the internet either. Some security issues can pop up across a huge number of revisions.
But yeah it really just comes down to the computer being obsolete. Unless you need it for some obscure software, or you're a collector/nostalgic there isn't much of a reason to run an old Mac. The G5s were pretty power hungry too so you're using up money there.
Sell the G5 on ebay and get a (x86-based) Chromebook or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My chromebook is a little slower than my old Core Duo Mac Book Pro, which was a little faster than the G5.

But they're also completely different architectures, so yeah, roughly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm not calling you out, and I could be wrong - but the 2995U is twice as fast as that benchmark.

I just want to understand where you are coming from. Were you posting from a perspective of benchmarks or user experience?

Faulty memory perhaps. It's been a while since I looked it up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

PowerMac G5s definitely don't keep their value. They typically go for $99 to $200, and they cost $2000 to $3300 brand new.

Same sort of deal with PowerMac G4s and especially the various iMacs, they can go for as low as $50 and rarely top $200.

Sell it, get this.

• Locked thread