Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

Having said all that you'd probably be better off just dumping it and getting a cheap, low powered Celeron-based computer. Even the newer Chromebooks (with the Celeron 2955U) are roughly equivelent in power to the G5. CPUs have come a long way in a decade.

Roughly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

My chromebook is a little slower than my old Core Duo Mac Book Pro, which was a little faster than the G5.

But they're also completely different architectures, so yeah, roughly.

What benchmark are you making this comparison with?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What benchmark are those scores from?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SwissCM posted:

My chromebook is a little slower than my old Core Duo Mac Book Pro, which was a little faster than the G5.

But they're also completely different architectures, so yeah, roughly.

I'm not calling you out, and I could be wrong - but the 2995U is twice as fast as that benchmark.

I just want to understand where you are coming from. Were you posting from a perspective of benchmarks or user experience?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

For what it's worth, I've actively attempted to get my old Windows 98 computer (which I run using a CompactFlash card as the hard drive, making restoring to a fresh backup easy as hell from my modern computer) infected with poo poo, and nothing seems to work these days.

You have trouble actually doing a bunch of internet things in general because the hardware's passed by, but all the drive-bys out there seem to want an NT kernel to gently caress up, you just get "not a valid win32 app" on 98.

A version of OS X old enough to still handle PowerPC is going to be much the same.

Stick to the web rings you trust.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

sports posted:

Debian probably has the most up-to-date packages.

Only in the land of 9 years dead consumer products could this statement ever be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

1gnoirents posted:

I fully support you if you want to use old hardware for fun. However if you really just want to web surf because it'd be a shame to throw it away, I vote for throw it away, since your cell phone is more capable and featured than that computer for web browsing.

I'd encourage you to make sure it goes to a reputable e-waste service. I'm not sure, but apple may even have a takeback program.

• Locked thread