Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I remember that much. But am I supposed to know what's going in the flashbacks?

It's Ms. Barlow and Flint's back story. We know only what other people have said, so who knows what's true or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought bring a foley artist would be one of the most fun jobs. I'm sure sometimes the hours suck and it can be frustrating, but man, getting paid to make noises would almost fulfill my lost dream of being a successful musician.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think we are meant to believe that he was telling the truth to the captain when he said he would have spared them had the girl not been on the ship.

I love the mix of real pirates with made up pirates. I really hope we see the real Blackbeard, although the joke in the first season was fantastic.

I want Black Sam Bellamy damnit! They already sort of stole his famous speech in episode 1, but he's one of my favorite pirates and sounded like a pretty cool dude, you know, for a murderer/thief.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Probably, but it would be more likely to do a fair amount of damage before being destroyed that it might not be worth it. Besides, for all Vane knows, the full crews of the Walrus and Ranger are intact. I'm still wondering if they intend to use the ship as is or part it out to refit the pirate fleet. They did an entire episode about Flint needing to steal bigger guns and now he has enough to sell to every pirate in the area.

I think he's gonna man it fully and sail right back to that beach with all 90 guns blazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shadow puppets are getting more and more lewd these days.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Well, that and the fact that Low kills/tortures people because he enjoys it whereas the other captains kill because someone's continued existence is incompatible with their goals. From what I can remember of captains killing their own crew: Flint killed a man in a fair fight because he was trying to take over as captain and killed his quartermaster as painlessly as possible after he refused to obey orders. I don't remember Vane killing any of his crew, but I'm sure he probably did. Ned Low publicly tortured and beheaded his quartermaster for talking to a business contact of theirs (he was actually trying to depose Low, but for all Low knew he was just trying to smooth things over so they can get paid next time they come to port).

Well, Mr. Meeks does say he was trying to protect the crew and all but confirmed Low's suspicions. Really, it was Meeks' fault when you think about it. Was asking for it, if you will.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SaltLick posted:

I thought they were going to use Max as John Silver's future wife since she was described as being in charge of his finances, which she seems suited for, and foreign. Ah well the 3rd part of the Anne/Jack threesome works too

Still not too late for that. She's obviously not Mary Reed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If memory serves Vane did take the pardon when he was captured and then immediately stole a ship and restarted a - pirating once he got to shore. Not that the show is following history very well anyways. Vane was dead for years before Low was lost at sea.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that's how you make a cliff hanger,

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blablablabla posted:

Also yeah flint always seemed slightly reserved/withdrawn/shamed. Makes more sense than being an ex naval officer reduced to piracy.

Guess that's the real reason Flint looked so disinterested when he was nailing Ms. Barlow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SA2K posted:

gently caress #teamvane and #teamcoat

All about #teamsilver

He certainly has a leg up on them!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seeing as though they are my two favorite characters (both real and fictional) in the entire series unless they bring in Black Sam or Black Bart, I would love for a shift towards a Silver/Rackham focus. My only doubt is that they have been so good at supporting the show from the sidelines that focusing on them could tire out the characters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mans posted:

Yeah, i get it that Anne was "broken" with Rackham abandoning her but she needs something to put her back on top quickly because the whole "taking 10\15 minutes of the show to show how mentally broken Anne is" is starting to get old.

Specially since there's so many interesting characters out there doing their thing.

Is this like a new GBS/FYAD joke or something? I've been seeing people use this garbage for a few weeks now and I just don't get it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like underhanded conniving Vane. Think Silver will take control of the situation, stop the attack by Vane, and then start to think of his own captaincy? We know he's gonna be a quartermaster sooner or later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He sent the majority of his force there ahead of time, but that doesn't explain how he got there so quick. Maybe he just bit the bullet and took a short notice flight. Those can be expensive though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

not joseph stalin posted:

Anyone who knows more about the era care to guesstimate what 5 million gold coins would be worth today?

100's of millions. Maybe more.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not gonna miss Ms. Barlow at all. She was the most boring character with the most boring stories. Plus she LOVES ruining plans for petty vengeance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Because the British Navy has been repeatedly shown "making example" of pirates and it doesn't sound like they plan on sparing/pardoning any additional pirates. They may have thought it useful psychological warfare to show that pirates aren't safe from the Royal Navy even in Nassau, but that's probably why Hornigold brought everyone with him.

Keep in mind that these are basically the same people and thought processes that lead to "An unarmed woman is raising her voice from the other side of a ~6ft desk. I'd better threaten to shoot her" and "An unarmed woman has now raised her voice for a second time, I'd better shoot her."

Well......she was talking about how she wanted to kill him that second time. And she could have just shut her drat mouth and saved the entire island, but here we are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's gonna hook up with Billy. Forearms and scowls for everyone!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They had the chance to cast Malkovich and they passed it up?! Now all we need is Black Sam Bellamy and it will be the best pirate show ever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say he'll be buddy buddy with Hornigold, but they don't really stick to history in this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How have you guys seen the finale already?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonz posted:

Silver gonna be sporting a peg leg next season, i'd imagine.

And the count down to when he gets his parrot is underway!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I have high expectations for S3 now, but how much of their budget will be spent cgi'ing Silver's peg leg :ohdear:

Wrap that bad boy in a big green sock and pay some college guys to edit it out. Simple.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How much does it cost to really amputate a leg? Maybe they should just do that. Could save them a lot of money if they have a long run.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well done!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

January can't come soon enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

The coat will choose Silver in the end.

And I gotta say Silver is starting to look like the pirate I knew he would become! Man I love this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the sunglasses were actually from the 1800's and were for train conductors or something like that. The season 1 thread had an article about them when they first showed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I can't find it either, but I remember reading it in an interview or something. Could just be my memory playing tricks on me though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

Ok, just watched that trailer. Stoked as hell for season 3, who would have thought Pirate show would be by far one of best things on TV.

It basically had to be. Since Crossbones was so bad the universe had to offset it with a spectrum opposite good pirate show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Guys... i have some bad news

Flint is trolling me, surely...

https://twitter.com/TobyStephensInV/status/687469713807511556

gently caress YOU TOBY STEPHENS!!!!! I bet he kept it and wears it to dinner and stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The coat is getting its own spinoff.

A procedural where it solves mysteries and is trying to get it's ex-wife and child back.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Great, now I look like the crazy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm thankful for that one.

• Locked thread