Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I thought there was a thread about it when the reveal trailer came out, but I don't see it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324810

Supposed to be up on Steam sometime soon(tm), as in today, but I think they've already gone a few hours over their estimate, so...

Here's the reveal trailer, for anyone who doesn't know what the hell it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Looks pretty fun, OP.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Looks cool. I'll buy that as soon as it is in a bundle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

Being a spiritual successor to the arena shooters of the late 90s and early 2ks, there is no levelling, no skill-trees, no perks, no cover systems, no classes, no configurable weapons and no iron sight aiming.

gently caress yeah.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The trailer was presented not so much as talking about why this game is good, but why all other games are bad. I'll pass.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks cool, hopefully it's good enough to last people a while.

How much is it supposed to cost? The steam page shows nothing about pricing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FrancoFish posted:

The trailer was presented not so much as talking about why this game is good, but why all other games are bad. I'll pass.

Indie game devolpers know in their hearts that all other games are doing it wrong or lost their way and that they alone have the vision to return a genre to its roots. For example developers today really, really don't know how to make pixel graphic 2D platforming games with zombies, but thanks to brave indie developers making literally hundreds of attempts at reinventing that particular wheel we are sure to see the premier title of that genre emerge soon.

Why must you fight the return of arena shooters?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
To be fair level ups and having to unlock poo poo in a shooter is dumb, and also poo poo.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They kind of have a point though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Watching streams of it. I'm gonna hold off since it's one map and two game modes atm and I've been burned by enough EA games to know better, but their dev map shows that by the end of Feb they'll have 3 maps, including the first vehicle map (gently caress yeah) and two more weapons in

http://forum.toxikk.com/devtracker.php

If they can stick to that promise I'll probably pick it up by the end of Feb. At sub 20 bucks and having online multiplayer (plus I think plans for a map maker?) it seems like a solid deal. It's a modern Unreal Tournament, which is cool.

e: The stream I was/am watching, if anyone else wants to see the game in action. http://www.twitch.tv/kudochop

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2015

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

FrancoFish posted:

They put out a video on their movement system which makes me think the game's subtitle should have been "frag like it's 2004." Not that I'm complaining, I really like UT2k4's movement system.

gannyGrabber posted:

To be fair level ups and having to unlock poo poo in a shooter is dumb, and also poo poo.

It's really stupid and always awful for the gameplay, but I'm not sure it's something you can neglect without causing player retention problems. Having a leveling system similar to Dota 2 or CS:GO where the only things you unlock are cosmetics, and the levels are meaningless, is an acceptable compromise IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

Minrad posted:

Watching streams of it. I'm gonna hold off since it's one map and two game modes atm and I've been burned by enough EA games to know better, but their dev map shows that by the end of Feb they'll have 3 maps, including the first vehicle map (gently caress yeah) and two more weapons in

http://forum.toxikk.com/devtracker.php

If they can stick to that promise I'll probably pick it up by the end of Feb. At sub 20 bucks and having online multiplayer (plus I think plans for a map maker?) it seems like a solid deal. It's a modern Unreal Tournament, which is cool.

e: The stream I was/am watching, if anyone else wants to see the game in action. http://www.twitch.tv/kudochop

Did they give any specifics on their plans for a map maker? Reflex only had one map too, but because the map maker was already available players were able to make maps right after release.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Falsum posted:

Did they give any specifics on their plans for a map maker? Reflex only had one map too, but because the map maker was already available players were able to make maps right after release.

http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71

Sounds like a one step process, and then just needing to know Unreal engine, which a lot of people do. Dunno when that'll be available, though.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Thanks for posting this; reminded me of Quake 3 and I reinstalled that.

Lemme know when this shows up on an indie bundle!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epic is bringing back Unreal Tournament, so i'm just gonna wait for that.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Also the new UT is going to be free-to-play and already has an active player base.

A $20 indie shooter with no levels is honestly probably doomed no matter how good it is.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
Isnt the Euro dota/sc2/quake guy working on his own arena shooter? I can't remember his name but maybe someone knows who I am talking about. Arena shooters sure are dead

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'd be nice if the world could collectively decide to forget Unreal was ever a thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 24, 2015

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
this game is p. fun honestly. I played two matches and got really into it.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Negronomicon posted:

this game is p. fun honestly. I played two matches and got really into it.

What does the P. stand for?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

lonter posted:

What does the P. stand for?

People-who-are-too-stupid-to-infer-meaning-from-context

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It'd be nice if the would could collectively decide to forget Unreal was ever a thing.

This is a hosed up thing to say

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It'd be nice if the would could collectively decide to forget Unreal was ever a thing.

I would prefer the opposite, pretend no shooting games have been made since 1999

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats the server population like?

i dont want to buy it and there be like one populated server

looks pretty sweet otherwise tho

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Didn't they already try this with Quake Live, a game which to my knowledge is now nearly dead? I can't see how this would be any different, especially if it doesn't work the :pcgaming: esports and F2P angle. Counter Strike already exists so that niche is already partly filled. I just don't know how much interest there is for Quake 3 clones, it's not a market I would want to compete in when it's saturated like DOTA poo poo is. I guess they're trying to be first to market but when a very competently done reboot of Quake 3 itself flopped I don't have a lot of faith in such a plan

Chomp8645 posted:

Indie game devolpers know in their hearts that all other games are doing it wrong or lost their way and that they alone have the vision to return a genre to its roots. For example developers today really, really don't know how to make pixel graphic 2D platforming games with zombies, but thanks to brave indie developers making literally hundreds of attempts at reinventing that particular wheel we are sure to see the premier title of that genre emerge soon.

Why must you fight the return of arena shooters?

When the hipsters are finally run out of town and/or lynched southern-style I will be a very happy man. This poo poo is getting ridiculous

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I picked it up earlier and it's a fun, frantic little game. Haven't tried online yet, did a short comp-stomp. The weapons, from what little I tried 'em, felt fine and varied enough, tho it's way too early to tell just how good or bad they are. The "early access" part means there's only one map and two game types, though.

As for online, there were around 20+ servers with more than 6/8 people on 'em. Around 50 servers or so total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Yeah, right now there are 496 players in-game, and its all-time peak is 833 players (it's also the all-time peak), which is better than Reflex's all-time peak (169 players) or Wickland's (81 players).

Their beta roadmap is also way more detailed than Starbound's, which is reassuring.

old man on a horse posted:

Isnt the Euro dota/sc2/quake guy working on his own arena shooter? I can't remember his name but maybe someone knows who I am talking about. Arena shooters sure are dead

2gd I think, and yeah, he's working on Reborn.

• Locked thread