Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Raenir Salazar posted:

If Crusader Kings II has taught me anything its that once the brother dies all of that decadence the male sons and nephews have will prompt an immediate decadence rebellion. :ohdear:

If looking good and drinking wine with noble women is wrong, I don't want to be right. :belarus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

blowfish posted:

* our health care system may or may not be American-levels of hosed up. Come and find out!

Yeah dont got there. Their health care system is as bad as the richest nation on earth. Its kinda hosed up when you can say that and everyone will nod in agreement.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128034

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 - The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tezzor posted:

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128034

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 - The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.

freedom :911:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Out of curiosity, is there some reason why the crown has been passed from brother to brother, instead of from father to son?

EDIT: The new king is already 79, so my best guess is that we're going to have to pretend to mourn him in the next few years, too. Why not pick someone who isn't already on death's door?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, is there some reason why the crown has been passed from brother to brother, instead of from father to son?

EDIT: The new king is already 79, so my best guess is that we're going to have to pretend to mourn him in the next few years, too. Why not pick someone who isn't already on death's door?

The Saudi royal line follows agnatic seniority for succession, as opposed to the agnatic-cognatic or absolutely cognatic primogeniture common in most of Western Europe.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

The sons (he had dozens) of Abdulaziz, who founded modern KSA, are seen as having more legitimacy than his grandsons. Salman is the last one, and things will be very interesting after him. Soon.

Effectronica posted:

The Saudi royal line follows agnatic seniority for succession, as opposed to the agnatic-cognatic or absolutely cognatic primogeniture common in most of Western Europe.

Has anyone ever called you pretentious? You are more a try-hard, writing English like someone who ate a thesaurus, but hasn't been able to digest it. You should take a laxative and aim your sights lower, because this isn't working for you.

You might manage to impress teenagers though, so there's that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Has anyone ever called you pretentious? You are more a try-hard, writing English like someone who ate a thesaurus, but hasn't been able to digest it. You should take a laxative and aim your sights lower, because this isn't working for you.

:razz:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

TheImmigrant posted:

That's not pretension. It's just the terminology. Congrats, you've done nothing but seem ignorant and flustered by words you don't understand.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That's not pretension. It's just the terminology. Congrats, you've done nothing but seem ignorant and flustered by words you don't understand.

He's just mad deep in his rear end that I posted room-temperature flames at him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheImmigrant posted:

The sons (he had dozens) of Abdulaziz, who founded modern KSA, are seen as having more legitimacy than his grandsons. Salman is the last one, and things will be very interesting after him. Soon.

Do you not know we have a Crusader Kings II thread in this forum?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Thank you for teaching me what agnatic seniority is. I haven't played Crusader Kings, and didn't have any other reason to be familiar with the term.

And thank you autocorrect for Agnostic Seņorita. That one actually made me laugh.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I'll simplify:
In Saudi Arabia (country) next ruler oldest man. In Europe (continent) oldest son or daughter ruler. Sometimes just son.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
TheImmigrant must have been a delight in school.

"... And this process is called Photosynthesis"

"You pretentious dick. What the ever living gently caress, what are you the thesaurus police? Take your fancy made up words and get a real job"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wow 'pretentious'? That's a pretty big word, what are you some kinda thesaurus man too good to say "MAKE BRAIN HURTY" like the rest of us? God ever since you learned to walk upright you've just been the biggest poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

THe only reason goons know these words is Paradox games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

I know it because I'm like a trainspotter but for monarchies.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Adroit sesquipedalianism would require aplomb comme il faut.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Adroit sesquipedalianism would require aplomb comme il faut.

No, it wouldn't and doesn't, and it's depressing the schemes you're using to try and get your dick sucked now.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

No, it wouldn't and doesn't, and it's depressing the schemes you're using to try and get your dick sucked now.

The implied qualifier (note my use of the conditional in the original) was if one wishes to be considered a graceful writer.

I know these are Important Battles for you. Have a cookie. It signifies Internet Victory, over something.

Or some shi, er, merde like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Tangential learning! :eng101:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Those words for the types of succession are fine. It very precisely describes what's going on, it's not pretentious, and if you don't know what they mean (as I didn't), you can simply look them up.

Now, for my next question: what will happen when the last of Ibn Saud's sons dies? Does it go to a son of the current king, or a son of the eldest son of Ibn Saud? Does this model of succession tend to be more or less successful if the originator of the line isn't a gently caress-machine with 25 wives (or knows how to use a loving condom)?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So for those of us that didn't play CK2, how exactly does Saudi Arabia's succession work? Like how do they determine who is in the family? Can uncles inherit?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tangential learning! :eng101:

The only reason I know about specific whaling practices, including how to make an apron out of a whale's penis, is via reading Moby Dick.

This has zero actual applications to my life, but it's nice to know. Knowledge for knowledge's sake is a good thing!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

The implied qualifier (note my use of the conditional in the original) was if one wishes to be considered a graceful writer.

I know these are Important Battles for you. Have a cookie. It signifies Internet Victory, over something.

Or some shi, er, merde like that.

:razz:

Also, graceful doesn't mean "nice".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

VikingofRock posted:

So for those of us that didn't play CK2, how exactly does Saudi Arabia's succession work? Like how do they determine who is in the family? Can uncles inherit?

The sons of the first king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud, inherited in order of age, barring their exclusion from the succession, followed by their sons in turn, though supposedly via merit rather than solely by age. No brothers of ibn Saud are in line, nor are any descendants of any daughters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

The sons of the first king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud, inherited in order of age, barring their exclusion from the succession, followed by their sons in turn, though supposedly via merit rather than solely by age. No brothers of ibn Saud are in line, nor are any descendants of any daughters.

This can only end well.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

This can only end well.

Keep in mind that they set up a commission to figure out how to get more heirs in line because the royal family is shrinking and there are attrition problems as people go crazy, develop chronic health issues, and other things that would seriously gently caress with kingship.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Keep in mind that they set up a commission to figure out how to get more heirs in line because the royal family is shrinking and there are attrition problems as people go crazy, develop chronic health issues, and other things that would seriously gently caress with kingship.
And here I thought the guy had, like, 50.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Oracle posted:

And here I thought the guy had, like, 50.

He had 45, but only 11 still survive, the youngest 69 years old. The first of his grandsons is third in line, himself 55.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

He had 45, but only 11 still survive, the youngest 69 years old. The first of his grandsons is third in line, himself 55.

Yeah but can't they just cycle through one-year-wonders that are effectively figureheads like a normal dysfunctional monarchy? I'm sure there are enough grandkids around for that :v:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Effectronica posted:

I think I have the solution:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Does the source matter? It's still correct

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Is there one single applicable heir in the line of succession that isn't a wreck mentally and/or morally and/or physically?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sjurygg posted:

Is there one single applicable heir in the line of succession that isn't a wreck mentally and/or morally and/or physically?

There might be one that is only two out of three.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

Well there's Prince Saud who is your typical moralistic hypocrite and the BBC even made a documentary about him (that makes him look like a huge rear end in a top hat):

https://vimeo.com/4889695

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I understood the succession terms because of crusader kings.

But poo poo man, you could have guessed what they meant by context.

Surely you know the word seniority. So we know Saudis use some kind of seniority - must mean the oldest gets the throne.

Europe uses primogeniture - well primo- in Latin-derives languages means "First", (like in the English word "primary" - you do know that one right? Stop me if I'm going too fast.) geniture - sounds like "gene," like the words "engender," "generate," "genetic," ... So first plus generated means...first generated.... What could that mean in the context of a king's kinsmen????

I'll admit agnatic and cognatic aren't that intuitive, but you could have at least gotten "Saudis do oldest related to the king, Western Europe does first born of the King."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You mean agnatic and cognatic doesn't mean they're indifferent to the existence of god and enjoy a brandy now and then?

I thought it was crazy what with them being Muslim and all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sjurygg posted:

Perhaps any type of monarchy is an outmoded rule of government and it's ridiculous that any modern nation associates with a regime like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Perhaps any type of monarchy is an outmoded rule of government and it's ridiculous that any modern nation associates with a regime like that?

Look, we Brits are trying to dissociate from ourselves as hard as we can, but it ain't easy, you know?

• Locked thread