Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/23/saudi-arabias-king-misremembered-man-peace/

This is a thread for discussing and collating the hideous hagiography that Serious people are doing on a murderous tyrant who ran one of the most oppressive governments in the world, and considering what this means for propaganda about how they believe in Freedom and Democracy,

Nope, it's a thread for discussing whether Lawrence of Arabia lied about being sexually assaulted by the Bey of Dera'a in 1917, and why he did so, and also whether he would have kissed me on the lips, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

He wouldn't've kissed you.

Rude. Uncalled for.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Effectronica what is your av from also the king was prob gay

The videogame Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, is there some reason why the crown has been passed from brother to brother, instead of from father to son?

EDIT: The new king is already 79, so my best guess is that we're going to have to pretend to mourn him in the next few years, too. Why not pick someone who isn't already on death's door?

The Saudi royal line follows agnatic seniority for succession, as opposed to the agnatic-cognatic or absolutely cognatic primogeniture common in most of Western Europe.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Has anyone ever called you pretentious? You are more a try-hard, writing English like someone who ate a thesaurus, but hasn't been able to digest it. You should take a laxative and aim your sights lower, because this isn't working for you.

You might manage to impress teenagers though, so there's that.

:razz:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That's not pretension. It's just the terminology. Congrats, you've done nothing but seem ignorant and flustered by words you don't understand.

He's just mad deep in his rear end that I posted room-temperature flames at him.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

THe only reason goons know these words is Paradox games.

I know it because I'm like a trainspotter but for monarchies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Adroit sesquipedalianism would require aplomb comme il faut.

No, it wouldn't and doesn't, and it's depressing the schemes you're using to try and get your dick sucked now.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

The implied qualifier (note my use of the conditional in the original) was if one wishes to be considered a graceful writer.

I know these are Important Battles for you. Have a cookie. It signifies Internet Victory, over something.

Or some shi, er, merde like that.

:razz:

Also, graceful doesn't mean "nice".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

VikingofRock posted:

So for those of us that didn't play CK2, how exactly does Saudi Arabia's succession work? Like how do they determine who is in the family? Can uncles inherit?

The sons of the first king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud, inherited in order of age, barring their exclusion from the succession, followed by their sons in turn, though supposedly via merit rather than solely by age. No brothers of ibn Saud are in line, nor are any descendants of any daughters.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

This can only end well.

Keep in mind that they set up a commission to figure out how to get more heirs in line because the royal family is shrinking and there are attrition problems as people go crazy, develop chronic health issues, and other things that would seriously gently caress with kingship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Oracle posted:

And here I thought the guy had, like, 50.

He had 45, but only 11 still survive, the youngest 69 years old. The first of his grandsons is third in line, himself 55.

• Locked thread