Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
king abdullah founded the king abdullah university of science and technology so he is cool for all eternity~

now someone explain to me what point of the king abdullah university of science and technology is and why anyone would want to study there and not at say harvard or cambridge or some well-known marine sciences institute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Because s/he was a third-rate primary student in KSA or a Gulf country, and unconnected. Those oil monarchies engage in very heavy social spending. They invest in education - stipends to spend abroad for the connected; cheap or free but low-quality institutions at home - large grants to newlyweds, etc. It acts as a sort of bribery, in which those unconnected to the elite accept not to engage in dissent or otherwise disrupt the status quo. The same tacit agreement extends to Western expats. My experiences are in the UAE and Qatar. In exchange for an excellent salary with low taxes, you agree not to engage in political activity, flout conservative Islamic values (you can drink at home or in hotel bars, and the expats in places like Dubai and Doha quietly hook up and gently caress like bunnies via Tinder and OkC) but public drunkenness is forbidden. If you are a laborer from a Third World country (South Asia for construction, Philippines and certain African countries for services), you are an indentured servant who often earns enough to send remittances home. KSA (I'm constitutionally barred from the country) is supposedly similar, but socially much less tolerant of expat behavior. I have heard it described as a paradise for gay men on the DL though.

It's a recipe for disaster, resulting in exploding populations accustomed to a high standard of living that is unsustainable.

Yeah, though KAUST seems to attract some westerners. Are those likely to be all expats who are already in Saudi Arabia or do people actively go there to study?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Everyday Lurker posted:

It's rare enough to be a badge of honor, nowadays.

Nah, we should just put some deserving subforums in a "retarded forum for assholes" area again.

Which would be most of them, but hey

TheImmigrant posted:

No idea. KSA is among the last places on earth I'd want to live. Most qualities which make Dubai tolerable (a certain cosmopolitan air, booze, beach, nightlife, sex) aren't options in KSA. I wasn't aware there was a significant number of Western students there. Maybe it has a feeder program for Aramco.

I was going to say "they'd have to pay me to go", but it turns out they actually do :v:

quote:

All admitted students receive the benefits of the KAUST Fellowship which supports students for the duration of their graduate studies. The benefits of the KAUST Fellowship include:

Full tuition support
Monthly living allowance (ranging between $20,000-30,000 annual, depending on qualifications and progression through degree programs)
Housing*
Medical and dental coverage*
Relocation support

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 25, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I really need to know what those asterisks refer to

quote:

* Charges may apply to dependent housing and medical and dental coverage.

* our health care system may or may not be American-levels of hosed up. Come and find out!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

New Division posted:

Hey, they're just doing what they have to do to secure some more of those sweet, sweet multi-billion dollar arms.

Germany just decided not to allow any further arms deals with SA so there's no better time for the French to double down :france:

I bet Leclercs are an acceptable substitute for Leopard IIs in the main mission scenarios of running over protestors and taking potshots at technicals and Soviet era leftover tanks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Claverjoe posted:

Because you get a ~$2-5 million dollar budget for setting up your lab and equipment, plus a lot of money to do research there. Had a buddy in grad school who got the offer. Since she was a woman, she declined, but having somebody willing to throw such levels of funding for starting your lab and beginning your academic career is pretty tempting stuff, especially since you can also just use some of that money to publish with a big name professor for legitimacy in your research.

Ok, I can see how that might be tempting.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzor posted:

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128034

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 - The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.

freedom :911:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

The sons of the first king, Abdulaziz ibn Saud, inherited in order of age, barring their exclusion from the succession, followed by their sons in turn, though supposedly via merit rather than solely by age. No brothers of ibn Saud are in line, nor are any descendants of any daughters.

This can only end well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

He had 45, but only 11 still survive, the youngest 69 years old. The first of his grandsons is third in line, himself 55.

Yeah but can't they just cycle through one-year-wonders that are effectively figureheads like a normal dysfunctional monarchy? I'm sure there are enough grandkids around for that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

its better than the vacuum which replaces it

that just gives you more isis, all the time

see e.g. every nation that is not a monarchy

• Locked thread