Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't IS release videos where they burned and stomped on Palestinian flags, decrying the cause as petty nationalism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ula2YJq5K5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

All the other countries on the peninsula are hilariously evil too like the UAE.

Basically creating a horrible rich person playground in Dubai, that doesn't have things like actual culture and history like other horrible rich people playgrounds like London/NYC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Math Debater posted:

Yeah, the reactions of the US and UK governments to the death of King Abdullah illustrate pretty clearly how little the the US imperial regime and its stooges actually care about the nebulous concepts of "democracy" and "human rights." I don't really have much to say about this topic, so I'm mainly just posting in order to state that I really like this article by Glenn Greenwald highlighting the contrast between the White House's reaction to the death of Hugo Chavez and the White House's reaction to the death of King Abdullah: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/23/compare-contrast-obamas-reaction-king-abdullah-hugo-chavez/

The House of Saud was useful to US foreign policy interests, while Chavez obviously wasn't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

Because s/he was a third-rate primary student in KSA or a Gulf country, and unconnected. Those oil monarchies engage in very heavy social spending. They invest in education - stipends to spend abroad for the connected; cheap or free but low-quality institutions at home - large grants to newlyweds, etc. It acts as a sort of bribery, in which those unconnected to the elite accept not to engage in dissent or otherwise disrupt the status quo. The same tacit agreement extends to Western expats. My experiences are in the UAE and Qatar. In exchange for an excellent salary with low taxes, you agree not to engage in political activity, flout conservative Islamic values (you can drink at home or in hotel bars, and the expats in places like Dubai and Doha quietly hook up and gently caress like bunnies via Tinder and OkC) but public drunkenness is forbidden. If you are a laborer from a Third World country (South Asia for construction, Philippines and certain African countries for services), you are an indentured servant who often earns enough to send remittances home. KSA (I'm constitutionally barred from the country) is supposedly similar, but socially much less tolerant of expat behavior. I have heard it described as a paradise for gay men on the DL though.

It's a recipe for disaster, resulting in exploding populations accustomed to a high standard of living that is unsustainable.

it's basically the bread approach to keeping the populace from killing you or even just stirring the pot.

also:

quote:

Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, has praised King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia as a “strong advocate of women”, but human rights campaigners said his reign only brought marginal advances for women, while failing to secure fundamental rights of free expression, association, and assembly.

• Locked thread