Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
Reading the not very good autobiography of Chris Kyle I came across this passage on page 235 ("Breaking And Entering"):

quote:

I stole a car off of Bourbon Street as part of my final. (I had to put it back when we were done; as far as I know the owner was none the wiser.) Unfortunately, these are all perishable skills - I can still pick a lock but it will take longer now. I'll have to brush up if I ever decide to go crooked.

If I am reading this right, does this mean that the FBI makes it trainees steal from civilians as part of its training? I tried to do some googling about this or articles that picked up on this part of the book but couldn't find anything. Am I reading this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Before delving too deep into this, Chris Kyle is full of poo poo and I'll believe that as much as i believe he punched out Jesse Ventura.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

SlipUp posted:

Before delving too deep into this, Chris Kyle is full of poo poo and I'll believe that as much as i believe he punched out Jesse Ventura.

I totally agree with you and this is a good article about some of his bullshit tales:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...erican-history/

But, the part that I quoted apparently implicates the government in crime and this book was approved for publication by the DoD.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

SlipUp posted:

Dude the more full of poo poo he is the better because if what he wrote is actually true he might be a legit psychopathy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The DoD approval process is a quick skim through looking for disclosures of classified information. They don't vet it for truth or accuracy, that's the editor's job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh look, Chris Kyle said a thing. Probably bullshit.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Honestly, even if it's completely true, I'm much more okay with supersaiyan spy training that involves temporarily borrowing some guy's car for fifteen minutes than I am with everyone's phones being tapped by default.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adar posted:

Honestly, even if it's completely true, I'm much more okay with supersaiyan spy training that involves temporarily borrowing some guy's car for fifteen minutes than I am with everyone's phones being tapped by default.

True, mysteriously I'm more upset about Stingray than I am about super sleuth car games.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Adar posted:

How are the two things even remotely related?

Even the organizations that do them are different!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Robot Pride posted:

Reading the not very good autobiography of Chris Kyle I came across this passage on page 235 ("Breaking And Entering"):

If I am reading this right, does this mean that the FBI makes it trainees steal from civilians as part of its training? I tried to do some googling about this or articles that picked up on this part of the book but couldn't find anything. Am I reading this right?

What's the context here? I'm not sure what the FBI has to do with Chris Kyle.

edit: Nevermind, googled it. Various federal agencies do training missions around DC, though I don't think they involve stealing civilian's cars. Not sure why this would take place in New Orleans.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2015

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Misread the thread title as "Grant Theft Auto."

:goonsay:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
No one would be crazy enough to park a car on Bourbon street. It would be disassembled and the parts would be barfed on in a matter of minutes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The quote says they're perishable skills, how long would it take Kyle to start a 2014 model ford today?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

katlington posted:

The quote says they're perishable skills, how long would it take Kyle to start a 2014 model ford today?
Can he use ghost magic?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I'm sure the fbi would love their agents stealin cars... and then returning them to the scene of the crime. You know, the super recent felony with a potential victim waiting back at his parking spot wondering wtf. That's some super secret agent poo poo.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The fact that our latest propaganda-movie war hero was apparently a compulsive liar is honestly pretty funny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

katlington posted:

Depends on whether or not they've kept the body refrigerated.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mister Bates posted:

RARRRRRR I HATE AMERICAN SOLDIERS THEY SHOULD ALL DIE

*Punches you so hard your skull comes out the back of your head*

Not feeling so smart now, are you, Mr. Ventura?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Huh that's weird because what part of Bourbon street did he find a parked car on since, you know you can't park cars on Bourbon street. I mean maybe he stole it in broad daylight?

How did he steal it and get it past the cops ??

There are times you can drive a car down Bourbon street like early in the morning when they remove police barricades, like some times.

Oh and at the end of Mardi Gras, once a year they clean Bourbon street and clean it out and thats the "end " of Mardi Gras.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I heard the FBI has prospective agents drive along with no headlights, and the first car to flash their headlights at them are now their "target". They are then required to turn around and chase that car, then arrest every individual in the vehicle in order to complete their training.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You should fax that to some schools. Seriously that was faxed all over the place when I was in school.. and people still used faxes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my uncle works at nintefbi

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robot Pride posted:

lol

If anything, his instructors may have placed a car in a public area and had him get into it without arousing suspicion; I can see how comandeering a vehicle would be good to know if he ever had to escape somewhere. But even as wasteful as they are, the DoD isn't going to risk having a SPESHUL OPURATER get shot in training because the owner came around the corner while he had a slim jim in the door and decided he wasn't going to have a car stolen again.

But "jacked a car in the middle of Mardi Gras and put it back and nobody saw me" plays a lot better when you're bragging about it later. And who knows what bullshit story his instructors fed him.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
breaking and entering is part of the Tradecraft training that SEAL team six and Delta Force bad rear end dudes goes through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradecraft

edit: speaking of SPECHUEL OPERATORS being killed by civilians during training

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Special_Forces_selection_and_training#Death_during_ROBIN_SAGE

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yup, that's why. Even when it's supposedly coordinated with local governments, someone still doesn't get the memo. Pretty harsh failing grade there though, usually they just don't let you graduate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Huh that's weird because what part of Bourbon street did he find a parked car on since, you know you can't park cars on Bourbon street. I mean maybe he stole it in broad daylight?

How did he steal it and get it past the cops ??

There are times you can drive a car down Bourbon street like early in the morning when they remove police barricades, like some times.

Oh and at the end of Mardi Gras, once a year they clean Bourbon street and clean it out and thats the "end " of Mardi Gras.

He went down there to stop that sort of lawlessness, hence why no cars park on Bourbon Street :clint:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chris Kyle is reminiscent of the protagonist in this Twilight Zone episode:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/440856

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Zogo posted:

Except Frisby knows he's lying, and so do all the people who support him.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mister Bates posted:

The fact that our latest propaganda-movie war hero was apparently a compulsive liar is honestly pretty funny.

I can't tell if old Clint is trolling everyone or if he's a true believer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

spoon0042 posted:

I can't tell if old Clint is trolling everyone or if he's a true believer.
He's just trying to get that elusive Oscar, like everything he's done for the last decade.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Zogo posted:

Also, "Showdown with Rance McGrew", a lesser-known episode where a tough guy Western actor meets the real Jesse James.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Remulak posted:

He's just trying to get that elusive Oscar, like everything he's done for the last decade.

Clint has gotten several elusive Oscars already, he doesn't need another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Training like this involves pre-placed cars owned by the government specifically for this training. I've heard that occasionally the trainee might make a mistake and take the wrong car, but that is generally very rare.

• Locked thread