Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Have an exact date for the episode, Nov 10, 1982. Looks like we get some Andropov fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JohnSherman posted:

:stonk: Welp, it's The Americans alright.

Yup

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This episode has to have set the record for "Number of Times Naughty Bits Were Almost Shown On TV But Were Well-Hidden On Standard Cable".

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CBJSprague24 posted:

This episode has to have set the record for "Number of Times Naughty Bits Were Almost Shown On TV But Were Well-Hidden On Standard Cable".

Mad Men has pushed the sideboob envelope a few times

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
That was a really strange last five minutes. That ISI guy was really chill considering someone just walked in on him killing a woman.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JohnSherman posted:

That was a really strange last five minutes. That ISI guy was really chill considering someone just walked in on him killing a woman.

I would say it being that easy for Philip to turn around and blackmail him showed how un-chill he really was at that moment.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Martha is totally gonna shoot Stan this season, thinking she is protecting Clark from him

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'll never get tired of Noah Emmerich as Stan the third wheel.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The guy doing the car tailing drivers ed with Elizabeth is new this season right? I feel like I'm going mad trying to think if I just blacked out last season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, I should've said something earlier, but great work, drunkill.
Aw shucks :3: I cut out the whole season 2 re-cap stuff for every plotpoint because it was bloated. I was going to add a little more to this OP soon though, once I have some time. I decided just to make 'the factions' info for some new or returning viewers.

This episode was great, I like like that Lev Gorn is now a regular this season, Arkady is a cool dude. A little more background info on Oleg too, has a brother in the army (presumably) in Afghanistan.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Have an exact date for the episode, Nov 10, 1982. Looks like we get some Andropov fun times.
How'd you get this, the execution at the start? I think most of this season is supposed to be 1983, with Brezhnev death being a focus, and well Andropov doesn't last too long either. He might last until the next of next season. [Edit: Oh, I missed five entire minutes!]

One of the network execs said he can see The Americans running for five seasons, feeling that would be enough time to tell a story and not let it go stale, but that's just one exec, hopefully they get the ratings and the critical reception, I think season 4 is pretty much guaranteed at this point.

"You said she was, what, 5'2"? 5'3"?" Oh Stan :allears:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 29, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

:rip: Annalise. You were kinda crazy.

I wonder what they will do with Nina. I mean it would be a pretty big copout if she came back on the show after what Moscow was threatening her with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder what they will do with Nina. I mean it would be a pretty big copout if she came back on the show after what Moscow was threatening her with.

Unless they're setting up Oleg. Arkady's being awfully chummy with him all of a sudden, warning him, etc. Kind of makes me think he's letting him fashion a noose as punishment for co-opting his authority and side-stepping him.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

How'd you get this, the execution at the start? I think most of this season is supposed to be 1983, with Brezhnev death being a focus, and well Andropov doesn't last too long either. He might last until the next of next season. [Edit: Oh, I missed five entire minutes!]

Paige is flipping through channels and it has Tom Brokaw announcing Brezhnev's death for about 5 seconds before going to another channel.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

If anyone else is wondering, this is the US-Canada Institute.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Does Elizabeth know who Gaad is? Cause he got a pretty good look at her face before she knocked his rear end out. Also, drat girl, take your wig off when you suspect the Feds are patrolling you. Go hide in a bush or something.

They should just leave Nina dead or in Siberia. There's enough going on here they don't need to force her back in the game.

Speaking of The Game, anybody else watch that mini-series on the BBC?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does Elizabeth know who Gaad is? Cause he got a pretty good look at her face before she knocked his rear end out.

I thought this was kind of an oversight that she didn't mention that it was Gaad whom she beat the poo poo out of, since I'm almost positive I remember them talking about the bug in his office.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does Elizabeth know who Gaad is? Cause he got a pretty good look at her face before she knocked his rear end out. Also, drat girl, take your wig off when you suspect the Feds are patrolling you. Go hide in a bush or something.

Yea that was pretty lol. Change your outfit but don't change your wig. C'mon :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

As we saw in last year's season premiere, those wigs are stapled on tight. She might not be able to just unobtrusively flip it off.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

tomapot posted:

I know this is from the Russian couple's perspective but it seems like they've gotten the upper hand over and over again. Did the U.S. Suck that bad, or were we having successes elsewhere?
We... won the war? So the answer is yes, there were "successes" elsewhere.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Sober posted:

The guy doing the car tailing drivers ed with Elizabeth is new this season right? I feel like I'm going mad trying to think if I just blacked out last season.

Yes he's new

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

They should just leave Nina dead or in Siberia. There's enough going on here they don't need to force her back in the game.

Speaking of The Game, anybody else watch that mini-series on the BBC?

Yeah, I figured she was gonna at least duck down some side streets, try to be a little less visible instead of walking straight down some major avenue.

I can't think of any plausible way they could bring back Nina unless she's gonna have her own subplot in Russia.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
She could be sent to Siberia to the same place as the former Resident and the stealth technology scientist.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

savinhill posted:

I can't think of any plausible way they could bring back Nina unless she's gonna have her own subplot in Russia.

Put a wig on her.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's the short episode summary for next week:

Elizabeth and Philip come together to deal with a mission gone wrong, but struggle to reconcile their increasingly opposing ideologies. Stan welcomes a Soviet defector, Zinaida, to America. Nina acclimates to her new living arrangements.

So Nina is still an active part of the show for now at least.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Nina is essential to my mission

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

The U.S. had successes but they were very much in the realm of signals intelligence (bugging the soviet navy communications) over human intelligence. The 80s saw a lot of programs get screwed by people selling secrets to the Soviets. Most of the human intelligence successes actually came from US allies (the Farewell dossier, Oleg Gordievsky) instead of the CIA.

The U.S. also had a bunch of captured Soviet planes and tanks from various nations that sold or gave them up in exchange for US equivalents. The CONSTANT PEG program was a result of that. It also had the slight side effect of getting an Air Force general killed as he bypassed all the training for the MIG23 he was flying and rode it until it broke up around him,

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Any other history / Cold War buffs who want to chime in I think it is fascinating to hear what was really going on about this time in real life between The Free World and the Evil Empire.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Annett Mahendru's name is in the opening credits, as opposed to a "guest star" after-opening credits deal, so she must be prominent at some point in the season.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ChadSexington posted:

It's just a case of the main characters having insane plot armor.

They really just need to avoid placing Liz in situations where she has to fight multiple grown men for it to be a bit less grating.

Hed posted:

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Any other history / Cold War buffs who want to chime in I think it is fascinating to hear what was really going on about this time in real life between The Free World and the Evil Empire.

The CIA have been huge fuckups forever. That is not to say that others are necessarily more competent, but theirs are pretty well documented. There are really too many and I've read it too long ago to recall anything specific, but check out Legacy of Ashes: http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ashes-History-Tim-Weiner/dp/0307389006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422745678&sr=8-1&keywords=cia+history

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Legacy of Ashes is a terrifying chronicle and a great read.

How did Elizabeth lose the list in the opening teaser? Did she ditch it before the fight, or lose it during the scuffle?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lost in the scuffle. The reason she knocked out Gaad the second time was because she was trying to find the list.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Am I the only one that thinks that the pastor is secretly with the centre, and with the help of Elizabeth is actively grooming Paige behind Phillip's back? This theory about the pastor has been eating away at me ever since watching his calm reaction to the confrontation with Phillip last season.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Fuckstick posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the pastor is secretly with the centre

Probably.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fuckstick posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the pastor is secretly with the centre, and with the help of Elizabeth is actively grooming Paige behind Phillip's back? This theory about the pastor has been eating away at me ever since watching his calm reaction to the confrontation with Phillip last season.

I'd suspect he's grooming her but not for spy work.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

wukkar posted:

We... won the war? So the answer is yes, there were "successes" elsewhere.

mobby_6kl posted:

The CIA have been huge fuckups forever. That is not to say that others are necessarily more competent, but theirs are pretty well documented. There are really too many and I've read it too long ago to recall anything specific, but check out Legacy of Ashes: http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ashes-History-Tim-Weiner/dp/0307389006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422745678&sr=8-1&keywords=cia+history

That's what I was getting at, I know we won the war but was it the result of out spending and attrition or spycraft? Were we turning Russian assets and stealing secrets as often and as successfully as the KGB appeared to. Is it plot armor or were we fumbling around while the KGB ran circles around us.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

tomapot posted:

That's what I was getting at, I know we won the war but was it the result of out spending and attrition or spycraft?

Mismanagement and corruption within the USSR mostly.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tomapot posted:

That's what I was getting at, I know we won the war but was it the result of out spending and attrition or spycraft? Were we turning Russian assets and stealing secrets as often and as successfully as the KGB appeared to. Is it plot armor or were we fumbling around while the KGB ran circles around us.

It's way more accurate to say that the USSR "lost" and we just kind of fumbled around blindly. I don't think the FBI was necessarily bad at their job, but the CIA's history is basically one of total incompetence. A big part of the problem is that there was a lot of top-down pressure at the CIA to focus more on sexy operations and less on actual intelligence gathering. The CIA got a lot of people killed and did a lot of damage while not accomplishing very much.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 4, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The CIA hired (and hires) brilliant people - but the management structure completely and utterly fucks the organization. A lot of Legacy of Ashes warps back to that central point, again and again.

Has anyone read the book on the FBI, Enemies, by the same author? I have a long flight coming up and am thinking of giving it a go.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Can someone remind me of the old guy the Jenningses dined with? I think they called him Gabriel? I don't remember him from the past seasons at all.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
He's a new character. I think he's their former handler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

He was their old (possibly first considering the affection they had for him) handler who's taking care of them again, basically doing the exact same job as Claudia. I might be wrong in that but I don't remember him from previous seasons either.

• Locked thread