Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm sort of curious why Walter White was teaching a sex seminar.

i am the one who knocks (you up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Accretionist posted:

Doesn't stop me from getting the creep vibes, though.
Part of it is probably the actor. Not his fault, dude just has that vibe.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Man, this has been a fantastic season. I think the finale leaves Philip is a really interesting place. He's clearly so broken and empty. "I feel like poo poo all the time" is probably one of the most honest things anyone in the show has ever said. I don't know how he can keep going considering he looked like he was about to hang himself along with Gene.

Having Reagan's 'evil empire' speech interrupt Philips attempt to explain his depression to Elizabeth was a really nice moment as well. I think it showed how that kind of dehumanising and jingoistic rhetoric just caused more problems. It pushes Elizabeth, who sees her dying mother when she thinks of Russia, into anger and deeper ideological rigidity and it walls Philip in with his guilt and depression.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Man, this has been a fantastic season. I think the finale leaves Philip is a really interesting place. He's clearly so broken and empty. "I feel like poo poo all the time" is probably one of the most honest things anyone in the show has ever said. I don't know how he can keep going considering he looked like he was about to hang himself along with Gene.

Having Reagan's 'evil empire' speech interrupt Philips attempt to explain his depression to Elizabeth was a really nice moment as well. I think it showed how that kind of dehumanising and jingoistic rhetoric just caused more problems. It pushes Elizabeth, who sees her dying mother when she thinks of Russia, into anger and deeper ideological rigidity and it walls Philip in with his guilt and depression.

I think it's just more of Philip losing control. Paige isn't following the script(which he didn't want in the first place). He lost Annelise in a really hosed up way and it took better part of the season to regain control. He's losing Elizabeth - there were a few episodes where she's opening up to him and he shuts down to see Kimee or Martha. He's trying his best to salvage Martha. The center put him in a really hosed up position with Kimee, and I'm not sure if it was implied that he sealed the deal. He's just lost because what he wants to do is either not possible, or the dynamic changed so that he's having to go to plan b,c, etc. I think that's why he was at EST because he's losing control of his lives.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I agree that they didn't do a lot of big things this season (up until Paige spilling the beans on her parents) but I really liked it. Philip's arc especially this season was so strong. He's had to do increasingly awful stuff and it seems like he absolutely can't do it any more. Just excellent writing and acting.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Arzakon posted:

I don't get why the FBI jumped all over Zinaida with zero proof other than "A Russian agent said she was theirs". Of course they would say that, especially if she wasn't. I would have loved Zinaida to have been completely innocent and Stan accidentally fucks her over with bad information from Oleg who is unknowingly performing a masterstroke for his government.

Zinaida actually being a spy was a big disappointment to me.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

nooneofconsequence posted:

Zinaida actually being a spy was a big disappointment to me.

The idea that the Soviets were sending false defectors to manipulate Western intelligence was a big bone of controversy at the time, to the extent that there are still people who disagree about who was and wasn't a genuine defector. So I was kind of glad to see them get into that a little.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Any idea when S3 might be on Amazon prime? I plowed through the first 2 seasons a couple months ago and managed to avoid spoilers thus far, I understand the season is over but they still want 2 bucks an episode?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

misdirectomy posted:

Any idea when S3 might be on Amazon prime? I plowed through the first 2 seasons a couple months ago and managed to avoid spoilers thus far, I understand the season is over but they still want 2 bucks an episode?

It'll probably be close to a year, when Season 4 is close to debuting on TV and Season 3 comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It'll probably be close to a year, when Season 4 is close to debuting on TV and Season 3 comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

That's a bummer. Thanks though, stay tuned for my thoughts on this season in 8 months.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

misdirectomy posted:

That's a bummer. Thanks though, stay tuned for my thoughts on this season in 8 months.

Do you have cable? You could probably just binge-watch the season on the FX Now app, if so.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

So I heard you guys like watching Matthew Rhys play multiple roles with different accents and hairstyles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that's Pixar's new movie

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Martha will be the only character left alive at the end of the series finale.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The entire purpose of Directorate S was to recruit Martha.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

I used to think he was lucky to be dating Kerri, now I think its the other way around!

ally_1986 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 27, 2015

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Kinda hate snitchin' Pavlik Morozov Paige.

On the other hand, what if Pastor Tom, liberal as he is, turns out to be okay with communism and becomes babby's first recruit? :allears:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pigdog posted:

Kinda hate snitchin' Pavlik Morozov Paige.

On the other hand, what if Pastor Tom, liberal as he is, turns out to be okay with communism and becomes babby's first recruit? :allears:

He's already let Phil slide on the psycho stalking visit, so it wouldn't be out of character if the writers have him not wanting to turn them in for whatever reason.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

savinhill posted:

He's already let Phil slide on the psycho stalking visit, so it wouldn't be out of character if the writers have him not wanting to turn them in for whatever reason.

The "psycho stalking visit" was a somewhat tense meeting in the guy's office. I think it'd be a real bummer to resolve that storyline with the pastor just being cool with it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't believe Martha's still alive. I guess it's to show how sloppy Phil is getting?

They handled Beeman's subplot excellently though, I'm glad he couldn't get Nina and the Reagan government overruling "bureaucrats" is totally believable.

And isn't Phil supposed to be visiting Kimmy weekly still? Are we supposed to guess how that's going?

Great show but a lot of blue balls in the finale.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There was an interview or a convention panel back in S1 where they talked a bit about Soviet spies seducing and marrying secretaries. I wish I could find the link but what they basically said was when they caught one of these spies they found that the wife's faith in him was unshakable. No amount of evidence could persuade them that their husbands were just using them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm totally fine with dropping in and out of ongoing operations each season. Stuff like the apartheid plot really worked for me. But I didn't enjoy how much they built up Kimmie as this great soul destroying operation, and then have it basically off-screen the last half of the season.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm totally fine with dropping in and out of ongoing operations each season. Stuff like the apartheid plot really worked for me. But I didn't enjoy how much they built up Kimmie as this great soul destroying operation, and then have it basically off-screen the last half of the season.
This is my only real objection to an otherwise great season. It's not huge, but it's odd that they didn't at least bring it up again once. Next year can't come soon enough!

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
There was a drop in viewers at episode 5, which was a fairly Kimmie-centric episode. Maybe they just decided to cut that storyline, although not necessarily the character of Kimmie. At that point it had served its purpose: reflection of Philip on his relation with Paige and showing his disgust and confusion about his work.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You know these episodes are made months in advance right? A dip in ratings has no bearing on that seasons plot.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

You know these episodes are made months in advance right? A dip in ratings has no bearing on that seasons plot.
I honestly don't know what's possible or not (and what the norm is). I suppose you are right. However, I figured swapping one or two scenes for another shouldn't be too hard, as I assume that for each episode they have more fully finished scenes than they eventually put in. Also, I can imagine them making alternative versions of certain episodes in advance, especially when they have a plot featuring the main character and possible pedosexual acts.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this season was really front loaded I thought. if they could have shuffled the episodes a bit the last half and the finale could have been more satisfying. I do think that the next season is well set up and am looking forward to it. I actually liked the Nina storyline, but it needs to be dropped or reconnected to the usa story more directly.

I would like to see the series get to glasnost and the Berlin wall. But the fourth season seems like it could be a final one from how this season ended.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

Tell that to Homeland.

But yes, the Kimmie thing was 'dropped' because there was nothing happening plot-wise with that tape recorder in the second half and there was no need for the show to repeat itself by showing another visit by Phil to her house where he feels uncomfortable. We see how his sadness is building and we can infer that the Kimmie situation is a part of that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Tell that to Homeland.

But yes, the Kimmie thing was 'dropped' because there was nothing happening plot-wise with that tape recorder in the second half and there was no need for the show to repeat itself by showing another visit by Phil to her house where he feels uncomfortable. We see how his sadness is building and we can infer that the Kimmie situation is a part of that.

Yeah, Homeland cut out Dana mid-storyline and it was awesome. She had to be the most annoying character on cable TV I've endured and I've had to watch those terrible Disney/Nickelodeon sitcoms with my kid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

I was only 8 in 1983 but I expect he just won't believe Paige, he'll assume that she's jumping to a weird conclusion or she's crazy. After all, she has absolutely no proof or evidence, just her parents' words. And even if he believed her, I think they established how liberal and neo-Christian he is that he wouldn't turn them in, because he knows that would destroy Paige even more and totally disrupt her life.

In fact, if I have any complaint about this season it's that Pastor Tim is unrealistic because I don't remember the "cool hippie Jesus church" thing until like, the late 90s. Maybe if they lived in California or something, but a Pastor in a Protestant church in Virginia being like that in 1983 doesn't track.

I don't think Nina was pointless this season simply because I'm pretty sure she's going to find a way back to America next season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

precision posted:

I don't think Nina was pointless this season simply because I'm pretty sure she's going to find a way back to America next season.

That's going to be even worse though. She's a good actress and was an interesting character, but this show is probably too conservative about not wanting to shake up its cast even when it starts to stretch plausibility.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

precision posted:

In fact, if I have any complaint about this season it's that Pastor Tim is unrealistic because I don't remember the "cool hippie Jesus church" thing until like, the late 90s. Maybe if they lived in California or something, but a Pastor in a Protestant church in Virginia being like that in 1983 doesn't track.

Oh, it so very much does track. The Jesus Freaks had been a thing since the 60s.

quote:

I like her and the physicist's storyline even if neither of them make it back to America. You get to see to what purpose the intel being gathered by the illegals is put.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Family Values posted:

Oh, it so very much does track. The Jesus Freaks had been a thing since the 60s.

Well yeah, that's why I said "in Virginia". I guess proximity to DC matters and I didn't know the trend lasted into the 80s so I guess it passes the test. If Pastor Tim is based on the Jesus Freaks, though, he's probably going to want to work for Phil and Liz, not turn them in. :v:

It's also funny reading people in this thread who weren't old enough to know EST was a thing. It was actually a lot weirder than what we've seen in the show.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
EST?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...the meetings Stan and Phil were attending? They even had a sign that said "est" on it at the front of the meeting

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Extra Sensory Teenager. How do ya'll think Paige figured it out?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
OH MY. MY BAD.

Ill try to pay more attention to 3 letters that dont actually provide context next time

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fetus Tree posted:

OH MY. MY BAD.

Ill try to pay more attention to 3 letters that dont actually provide context next time

I like how defensive you got. B+.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

popewiles posted:

I like how defensive you got. B+.

Don't conflate incredulity with defensiveness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fetus Tree posted:

OH MY. MY BAD.

Do you also need context to know what KGB, FBI, and CIA mean?

• Locked thread