Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

If anyone else is wondering, this is the US-Canada Institute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Jesus, between suitcase corpse, amateur dentistry, and Pedophill, this season is really excelling at making me squirm in my seat.

That was another excellent episode, though. My only complaint is that The Americans has always featured separate plot threads that only occasionally intertwine but it seems much more apparent this season.

You've got Phil trying to get info through the girl, Elizabeth with the AA-lady, Elizabeth training that young spy, the drama over Paige, Stan's suspicions of Zinaida, Stan's personal life falling apart, the Russian embassy doing God knows what, and Nina's prison situation. At times it feels like the show just randomly switches between these scenes and they don't seem related at all. I'm hoping this will solve itself as the season goes on.

E: VV That reminds me, this episode had another one of my favorite little running gags in the show, which is Henry babbling on about something that nobody cares about.

bowser fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2015

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Philip definitely thinks of himself as a Soviet. In the first episode of this season he shoots the Afghani guy and says something like "Your people are killing my brothers".

I think the main difference between Phil and Liz is that she fully believes in and is fully committed to the cause of spreading Communism worldwide while he thinks that the US and USSR can coexist despite their ideological differences.

So while Phil is willing to kill people in cold blood and play the Spy game to support the Soviets, he draws the line at getting his kids involved. For him, they could live their entire lives as Americans as long as it meant they're safe. Whereas Liz thinks her kids growing up in a world where American/capitalistic ideals have won is a fate worse than death.

bowser fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 22, 2015

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

:toxx: Phil isn't going to sleep with an underaged girl. But her desire in sleeping with him and his need to keep up the ruse vs his repulsion at the thought of doing it will probably form part of the climax for the season.

What do you guys think will happen with Nina? Even if she is brought back to the US it's not like she could continue spying like she did before. I love the actress and the character but I hope they don't just shoehorn her into the plot because they don't want to get rid of her.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

These episodes are becoming hard to watch. I dread every Phil/Kimmy scene and the game of pedo chicken that follows.

Phil's stoned laugh sort of made up for it though :gbsmith:.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Wow, fantastic episode. I love how the show is usually a slow burn with intermittent bursts of action, keeps you on the edge of your seat without getting dull.

I hope you're all doing your part spreading propaganda for this show! 90% of the people I tell about this show haven't even heard of it :(.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This is both a complaint and a compliment for the show, but I think The Americans is the Anti-Dexter in terms of exposition and audience handholding.
They rarely ever blatantly point things out or make things overly obvious which I enjoy. The audience is expected to keep up and be at least somewhat knowledgeable of Cold War history. Russian characters speak Russian with subtitles instead of speaking English in a fake Russian accent.

But on the other hand, I just realized this week that the new FBI guy was named Aderholt and I don't think they mentioned Vasili's name once this episode despite the long gap since his last appearance. Some plotlines take a very long time, like Elizabeth's work on the Northrop employee which has been going since last season. We had one scene furthering that plot last week but it seemed unrelated to the rest of that episode. Other plots move extremely quick as is the case of the whole South African thing, with a lot of people being confused at the end of last week's episode. Characters drop in and out as needed, like Yousaf and Kimmy who haven't been seen in a few episodes now. Hell, the whole Kimmy plotline was introduced through hard-to-hear radio chatter without any subtitles.

All in all I'm glad they do it the way that they do, but I completely understand why a lot of people can't get into the show. I really think this show is perfect for binge-watching, like an extended movie.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

When this show blows up years from now (probably after it gets put on Netflix) I'll be boasting that I liked it before it was cool :smug:.

So are we supposed to assume that Phillip has been continuing his Kimmy mission off-screen, since he's supposed to be collecting the bug recordings every week? Dear god I don't think I'll mind if they just never reference that sub-plot again :gonk:.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I loved the contrast of Elizabeth's one-and-done headshot on the South African girl and Hans' horribly botched assassination attempt.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I still suspect the pastor is more than he claims. Maybe he was working for the Soviets and his role was to help kindle Paige's suspicions to hasten her confronting her parents and the subsequent reveal. Now they've got no choice but to start showing her the ropes of the spy business.

Amazing acting from Matthew Rhys, Kerri Russell, and Holly Taylor this week.

And any episode with Henry talking too much and nobody listening is great in my book :allears:.

bowser fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2015

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This show has weird casting. Why is Susan Misner (Sandra) part of the main cast? Why did they promote Lev Gorn (Arkady) to the main cast in the season where he's received barely any screentime? I'm sure it all has to do with contract negotiations and stuff but I always get tripped up seeing their names in the intro.

Regarding Nina's subplot I really hope they do something interesting with it but at this point it seems like either she will gain Anton's trust and betray him or will fall for him and betray the soviets (again). Either option seems boring and a rehash of things she has already done. Here's hoping they surprise me!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I agree that they might have taken the slow burn concept a bit too far in this season. I mean, was there really any need for the EST scenes with Sandra in this episode? I get that Phillip is feeling really conflicted but that's been the case since season 1. All in all that was an incredibly low-stakes episode, let alone finale (except for the final scene of course, which was done masterfully).

All in all though this is still one of the best shows on TV and the wait for season 4 is going to kill me.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

So I heard you guys like watching Matthew Rhys play multiple roles with different accents and hairstyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I think this season will be a fantastic one...when watched as part of a marathon of the series. As a standalone season, though, it was really lacking a sense of urgency.

• Locked thread