Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No I agree completely. Nina should have been left off the show after season 2.
Eh, it is a good way to point out the truth of the Soviet system. Elizabeth and Phil are portrayed as genuinely good people risking life and limb for a cause they truly believe in and it's tremendously humanizing—the tragedy is that the state on whose behalf they fight is thoroughly contemptible and represents none of their ideals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
At first I thought Phillip was serious about the extra pineapple, anchovies, and pickles on the pizza and was all, Well, that sure explains how messed up this family is! :smith:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

She's not "hot" and she dresses like a dweeby middle-aged secretary. I'm always happy at how relatively normal most of the cast looks, besides Keri and Matthew being showrunning hottie exceptions that have to wear terrible wigs to look more average.
Honestly, Martha was outright unattractive to me in the first season, but then steadily improved over the course of the series. I don't think I mean that in a costuming/makeup directorial sort of way, but instead that the depth added to her character, particularly in this season has gone a long way to make me empathize with her. Physically? Meh. But Alison Wright gave her soul.

Maybe I'm just completely imperceptive of hair, but at least half of Phil's wigs look, well, believable. This show has made me want to learn how to rock a disguise as good as they manage to. Any Goons happen to have a beautician's guide to spycraft handy?

Also, I don't get all the hate directed at Paige. Sure, she's dorky and even Holly Taylor has mocked Paige's being a complete goody-two-shoes, but the character has contributed to some fantastic plot development and behaves pretty drat realistically—I imagine Holly's gotten one Hell of an acting apprenticeship working with Keri and Matthew.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm totally fine with dropping in and out of ongoing operations each season. Stuff like the apartheid plot really worked for me. But I didn't enjoy how much they built up Kimmie as this great soul destroying operation, and then have it basically off-screen the last half of the season.
This is my only real objection to an otherwise great season. It's not huge, but it's odd that they didn't at least bring it up again once. Next year can't come soon enough!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
As someone who wasn't born until years after the last session, I'd never heard of the drat thing and all I get from the show is the same tired motivational speaker bullshit that is still somehow an industry. The Wikipedia article reads like marketing schtick for it, and seeing now that it turned into that loving Landmark cult, I imagine that's exactly what it is.

• Locked thread