Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ChadSexington posted:

It's just a case of the main characters having insane plot armor.

They really just need to avoid placing Liz in situations where she has to fight multiple grown men for it to be a bit less grating.

Hed posted:

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Any other history / Cold War buffs who want to chime in I think it is fascinating to hear what was really going on about this time in real life between The Free World and the Evil Empire.

The CIA have been huge fuckups forever. That is not to say that others are necessarily more competent, but theirs are pretty well documented. There are really too many and I've read it too long ago to recall anything specific, but check out Legacy of Ashes: http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ashes-History-Tim-Weiner/dp/0307389006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422745678&sr=8-1&keywords=cia+history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

-The FBI more or less knows who Phil and Liz are. This is the first time in the series that they have been in very real and very personal danger. It's only a matter of time until it hits Stan like a sack of bricks; if I had to guess, I'd predict that that happens in the lead-up to the finale, or in the finale itself.
-Whenever that happens, the whole Martha thing explodes.

They already knew about as much since S1, when they had a hot car chase and even wounded Liz.

I don't know how the whole poor Martha operation is still going on. Like how much time can Philip spend with her while working 9-5, for the KGB, and being a family man without raising suspicion while not being completely ridiculous to Martha? One day per week? Month?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They knew the KGB were interested in the Afghan group, so they put a ridiculous amount of alternating tails on every single one whenever and wherever they moved. So many that Liz didn't really realize they were zeroed until it was too late and they were already compromised. The only thing that probably kept them from being taken completely by surprise is that the car Liz finally spotted as being a tail stayed on them too long before cycling out.

...when it's allowed to operate on US soil, the CIA really goes above and beyond overkill. Mostly to show off their resources to the FBI (whose cooperation they need to make it legal) and make them jealous.

Ok so that's what I figured too. But either they've been following them from the house, or shortly thereafter, and in any case they should know that they were the couple inside the house. Yet, they didn't check everything for bugs or missing items? Did they just figure it was all a coincidence and they were innocent?

Also the blackmail material that they got, if I understood it correctly, is kind of weak sauce. We're gonna tell your boss you're dating his daughter, is that it? It's bad, but not "commit treason" bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't hear and/or understand half of the poo poo from the radio so you're probably right. However, didn't their handler already ID the bald CIA guy as being clean? How does knowing where he live helps them then? It just seems that if the head guy was so important, they could've gone after him directly, knowing he's CIA and having his license plate, at the very least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And this is why you always use jack stands when working under your cars, kids! :eng101:

Edit: Didn't that guy also work in assembly at Northrop? Definitely should've known better; thankfully he won't get someone killed at the plant with his lax attitude to safety now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 1, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who besides prog-rock nerds would get King Crimson though? Everyone knows Pink Floyd.

cenotaph posted:

Hmm yeah I must have misremembered the specifics.

Well if he's not in Afghanistan now, he'll get shipped there on the next plane if Phil doesn't step up his :pedo: game.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, it is a good way to point out the truth of the Soviet system. Elizabeth and Phil are portrayed as genuinely good people risking life and limb for a cause they truly believe in and it's tremendously humanizing—the tragedy is that the state on whose behalf they fight is thoroughly contemptible and represents none of their ideals.

How does that point out the truth of the Soviet system? I mean her situation is kind of lovely but she did commit treason.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

Hey now he stole a photo of Stan's wife in a bikini. Surely that'll have repercussions a couple seasons down the road.

Stan is going to use the photo to blackmail him in order to get to Paige, who's a fully communist agent of course.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah OK the hotel business was weird. The whole time that was going on, I was wondering just what the hell it was that they wanted to get there that couldn't be achieved trivially by other means. Turns out that yes, totally, but maybe Liz wanted to do it the hard way. The very tall, hard and sexy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a bummer, I hoped Paige would get to go to Siberia or whatever shithole and see what they're really fighting for. Also she should've called Stan there at the end, he's already bonding pretty well with Henry and together they could live happily ever after.

Overall I'd agree with whoever said that while there were many great individual moments, overall the season just doesn't work as well as the previous two. Just way too many things were pointless and went nowhere, which can work in Mad Men not not quite here.

• Locked thread