Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Same here. It's totally implausible, since Paige attempting to enter the intelligence field (as more than a secretary) would scrutinize far back beyond Phil and Liz, and also require interviews (and investigations of) relatives. I don't care how competent an agency is, but getting a security clearance in the late 80s/early 90s was a whole hell of a lot different than it is now.

You guys are seriously overestimating the degree to which background checks are conducted. It would be considered stringent if they went back and interviewed friends of Paige's, much less take a hard look at her parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"How do you like them apples?"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gave him a great look at your face there Liz.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:stonk: Welp, it's The Americans alright.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That was a really strange last five minutes. That ISI guy was really chill considering someone just walked in on him killing a woman.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:gonk: That was about an uncomfortable as a scene can get. Jesus.

e: Is this the first they've mentioned ISKRAN?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

A guy getting divorced playing All Out of Love? Who said this show can't be funny?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That was a great scene, but this definitely was one of those instances where the number of fully backstopped Soviet agents stretches the limits of plausibility.

e: Is there really not a single dentist that the Soviets can trust in the country?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 12, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Their sound effects guy owns. :gonk:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

THF13 posted:

I think the Martha plotline with her wanting to adopt might come around as a way for Philip to try to give the Center what they want without involving Paige.

I doubt it, but I do think it's signaling the end of that particular arc. Between the foster parent talk and the writers making a point of showing that she's being hit on at work, I think Philip is going to realize that he won't be able to keep this a secret much longer. All it would take is a picture of him on her desk, and he and Elizabeth would be blown.

e: Of course, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last season. :shrug:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Also the blackmail material that they got, if I understood it correctly, is kind of weak sauce. We're gonna tell your boss you're dating his daughter, is that it? It's bad, but not "commit treason" bad.

If I heard the conversation correctly, the guy they had bugged was rebuffing the (underage) girl's advances. I'm pretty sure the takeaway from that scene is that they know where the head of the program lives, not that they are planning to blackmail the first guy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Shadow posted:

How old is Kimberly supposed to be? I guess Philip spending time with her will at least give him a window into "what the cool kids are into" for him to continue reconnecting with his daughter.

I really hoping it doesn't last long enough for that. Philip as a perv is the skeeviest loving thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Shadow posted:

Wow... loving relax. I think the actress is like 21. I hope that helps you get to sleep tonight.

Here you go, kitten:

Hey guys, did you know that they didn't actually kill that woman and stuff her in a suitcase? The bone-snapping sounds were added later. I hope that makes it less creepy for all of you.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

2)For Phillip, its a bit more complicated. I think he truly sees himself as a mercenary, not beholden to either side of the conflict. He'd be equally uncomfortable with Paige embracing Marxism as he would her wanting to be baptized. He's anti-ideology, in general.

I don't think this is necessarily true. While he may not be an ideologue to the level Elizabeth is, I think Phillip loves his country, he wouldn't be doing this kind of work for 17+ years (for free?) if he didn't. However, he wants a better life for his kids, not having them risk their lives to serve a country they have zero allegiance to.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Alright, can we please end the Martha storyline? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

Pedophil..isnt that chick in college?

Nope. :stonk:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

drat, that was brutal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:pedo:

This show got really weird really quickly.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 26, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jiggs posted:

Latest episode "Born Again" is on iTunes a day early.

Is this a fuckup or is FX trying some dumb strategy out?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

drat it, you can't leave me with that. :argh:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TCD posted:

She's the worst character on the show, so...

Yeah, and Martha isn't very interesting at this point either.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

like, imagine if stan actually finds them and they have to take him out - imagine how enormously lovely that would be for philip

Yeah, I really like how the show has built up Phillip and Stan's friendship as a real thing. He's not subtly pumping Stan for information, and he's spending his free time at bullshit EST meetings because he wants to support his buddy. It's a nice contrast to Elizabeth, who doesn't seem to associate with anyone, even her daughter, without having an ulterior motive.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

My bet is that he solves the martha problem

I've almost given up hope after 2 1/2 seasons, but one can dream.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Philip's dejected look over his pizza being rejected was great.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Yay, Martha is gonna die. :neckbeard:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Martha's got a pretty good head on her shoulders

Not for much longer.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ha, these disguises own.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GimpChimp posted:

Welcome to the SA forums. There's guys here who saw The Departed and didn't realise Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon were different people.pretended he couldn't tell the difference between DiCaprio and Damon, because goons loving love flaunting their lack of awareness of pop culture.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It took me a second to remember their connection. This owns.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What exactly is he trying to salvage at this point? It's over, Phil.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

God drat, what does Martha's actress have on the writers? I can't think of any other reason why she has survived this long.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

ufarn posted:

Man, how is Alison Wright British?! Her American accent is so good.

I'm gonna tell you something about Matthew Rhys that will blow your mind.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What was the point of showing herself? Just wait until she leaves Elizabeth!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It sure was convenient that the bookkeeper was willing to overdose. It would have been suspicious if there had been a struggle, or if she went missing.

I think a line from Elizabeth about how the alternative would be much more painful might have sold the scene better, but that may have been too overt.

I'm interested to see what this parade of horrifying poo poo is building to, and whether it will tie in to Elizabeth's willingness to offer up her daughter to the cause.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's spies all the way down.

e: Henry, you loving goon.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

He is pressing those buttons way too fast for that game. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige getting to the bottom of this

Jax Teller better take some notes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh gently caress it';s happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

:ussr: IT'S HAPPENING :ussr:

I wonder if there's a Soviet training seminar on this.

The Bears and the Bees

• Locked thread