Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

howe_sam posted:

Henry has good taste in SNL sketches

Was that Eddie Murphy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

She's on board?

To the extent that she won't rat out her parents, probably.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

You know, on the whole, I generally think that Netflix's model of releasing an entire season at once is bad.

Then episodes like this happen and all that goes out the window.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fuckstick posted:

Tossed what Elizabeth said to Paige into google translate, and she nailed it. I love this show!

I think that was only the second time she's spoken Russian on the show. The only other occasion I remember was the "come home" at the end of season 1.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

beanieson posted:

I pieced together that some Israeli agent is going to meet with the CIA just through context clues but goddamn that audio tape was worthless.

I thought Elizabeth mentioned something about the Mujahideen while they were listening to the tape. That's who I assumed the meet was for.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

beanieson posted:

Ah well that just further proves my point lol

At least this time they spent a scene explaining the implications of what was recorded. The bugging scene that was supposed to establish that Kimmie has a thing for older guys was even tougher to make out, and they never bothered to follow up on what was said.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Elizabeth's fervent visions of telling Paige about this and converting her into a spy for The Good of The Cause and World Peace are anything but gung-ho in execution.

This aspect of the reveal was great. When it came down to it, Elizabeth couldn't find it in her self to tell her daughter the truth. Having her defer to Phillip was a nice way of putting them back on equal footing with regard to Paige's future.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Shadow posted:

Dude the spy reveal was enough to take in. She's still a kid. They need to ease her into it. As she gets comfortable with certain things, peel off a bit more. Then eventually "ok so like...you're being recruited."

Oh, definitely. I meant that Phillip is the one who started the conversation, as opposed to Elizabeth, who wasn't able to find the words until he spoke up.

biggfoo posted:

Henry remains the best. He's going to love the internet.
No kidding. Henry built a hidden compartment into his floor, breaks into people's houses, and has an in with an FBI agent. The Centre clearly picked the wrong kid for this line of work.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 2, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I don't think Pastor Tim is involved with the Soviets, it just seems like way too much of a stretch. I do think it's possible that there are hidden layers there, and I'm interested to see if the writers use his character to prompt Paige's recruitment in some fashion, perhaps with a church-related scandal that shatters her faith.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

Of course they might accelerate that timetable if they knew they only had 7 years left :smith:

In a shocking twist, Phillip and Elizabeth prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union. :ussr:

qbert posted:

I'm pretty sure they just want to indoctrinate her into the cause right now because she's young and impressionable, and that the plan for her in the longterm is to have her go through college and get a job in a government agency.

I wonder how much of that we'll see this season, or if familiarizing Paige with Soviet ideology will be pushed off until next year. It's a plot line that has a ton of potential and is so different from anything they've covered before.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 3, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

Henry makes friends with stan and ends up in fbi counter intel and paige joins the cia as a Russian spy and then the hunt begins

If this isn't a spinoff series after The Americans ends, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

savinhill posted:

I can't wait to see when Henry watches the "Bitch" word-of-the-week episode of Mr Robinson's Neighborhood.

I thought they hinted that this is pretty much the direction Paige is going in. The soap opera she was watching when Phil & Liz got home even had some type of scene playing where one character was telling the other something like "I have the control now" and threatening him with his misdeeds.

I don't think that soap opera scene was meant to be taken that literally. Paige blackmailing her parents would basically be an express train to insufferability, and I think the writers are smarter than that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Azhais posted:

They need to give Kimmy to Paige!

One of the reviews I read suggested this as a possibility. It's a bit of a stretch, but I won't say it wouldn't be preferable to pedoPhil.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

When Paige was railing about the lack of family, they should have just told her she was wrong and introduced her to kind old uncle Frank Langella.

I'm glad that the show has addressed that, both in the last season and this one. The lack of family would seem to be pretty jarring. I mean, growing up I had dozens of extended family members that I saw at least a couple times a year, and several more on top of that who sent yearly Christmas cards.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that there wasn't a fleshed out plan for when the kids started getting inquisitive about their family, emergency fake aunts notwithstanding.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 4, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I don't think she's meant to run around killing people and banging strangers. The whole point of a US born operative is to get them into a place of influence which would mean keeping her pretty far from all the risks Phil and Liz are exposed to.

They actually brought this up at the beginning of the season. Philip wasn't buying the "free from danger" line because he knew that the Center could change the situation at any time.

They clearly intend to give the second generation illegals at least a pared down version of the training that Philip and Liz received. Jared knew enough tradecraft to kill his family and completely divert suspicion away from himself. Plus, he ended up dead purely because of his association with the KGB, so it's not like a corner office at the CIA would keep Paige away from the risks of the job.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zero One posted:

That's brutal, Paige.

It's definitely earned.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

That, and also now that her daughter knows I think she's thinking about how Paige would see it.

She was pretty apprehensive about it last episode, hence the conversation about waiting for a female manager, and that was before the reveal.

I read an interview with the writers last week where they were talking about how they had been sowing the seeds of Elizabeth's distaste for that aspect of the job since last season, which I thought was strange since there didn't seem to be any mention of it until the hotel scene.

Party Plane Jones posted:

We should be in 1983 by this point since the USFL has started playing. Or is starting to start playing.
On the other hand, Henry is doing Eddie Murphy impressions from the 1981 season of SNL. :iiam:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

We seem to be in February 1983 as that is what is on the manager's bulletin board.

:ms:

qbert posted:

Anyone have any theories on the meaning of the final scene? None of the reviews I've read for the ep have mentioned it. Was Paige angry that Elizabeth wasn't going to Russia, or did she not believe them about her Grandma being sick?

Maybe it just went over my head.

After the episode ended, I thought it was just an extension of the earlier scene where Paige doesn't know whether she could really trust her parents, but I kind of like Hoopy Frood's explanation better.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hey, reappearance of social worker wig from last season.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh god, Tyrant's second season airs June 16.

Worst birthday present ever FX. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Real family photos incoming. :neckbeard:
e: Apparently not.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, she's actually going to Russia.

e: Oh man, Martha's finally going to get it.
e2: God drat it.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 16, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Also, I don't get all the hate directed at Paige. Sure, she's dorky and even Holly Taylor has mocked Paige's being a complete goody-two-shoes, but the character has contributed to some fantastic plot development and behaves pretty drat realistically—I imagine Holly's gotten one Hell of an acting apprenticeship working with Keri and Matthew.

There really hasn't been much hate directed at Paige. I think people were afraid that she seemed to be heading down the path of blackmailing her parents, which would be awful.

e: And I wouldn't necessarily consider characters acting "realistically" to be a positive.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I feel like I missed a scene where Elizabeth got the OK to head to Russia to see her mother. Last episode, Gabriel made it clear that it was an impossible request, and this week Liz just springs it on her daughter like it's a done deal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The whole “second‐generation illegals” business is already operating beyond the bounds of reality w/r/t background checks

How? The focus of a background check is on the person applying, not their parents.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know how I feel about Paige's reveal to her pastor. I just don't see how her arc could continue in any believable fashion. Philip and Elizabeth are going to kill Pastor Tim, but then what? Are we really supposed to believe that Paige will forgive her parents for killing her moral guide and confidant, and come to terms with committing treason in any reasonable period of time? A season of Paige living in fear of her parents is not something I'm looking forward to.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

There wouldn't be much point to doing that and not telling the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

savinhill posted:

He's already let Phil slide on the psycho stalking visit, so it wouldn't be out of character if the writers have him not wanting to turn them in for whatever reason.

The "psycho stalking visit" was a somewhat tense meeting in the guy's office. I think it'd be a real bummer to resolve that storyline with the pastor just being cool with it.

• Locked thread