Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

grrarg posted:

This season is supposed to revolve around recruiting Paige. I hope the show is able to develop that storyline without actually involving Paige until late in the season. She is my least favorite character.

I kind of hate the whole second generation spy thing. The basic premise of this show is pretty silly to begin with, but somehow that just pushes it over the edge for me.

...of course, I still love this show and I loved season two. I just hate that this season is going to focus on the one thing I'm not super thrilled about. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

tomapot posted:

That's what I was getting at, I know we won the war but was it the result of out spending and attrition or spycraft? Were we turning Russian assets and stealing secrets as often and as successfully as the KGB appeared to. Is it plot armor or were we fumbling around while the KGB ran circles around us.

It's way more accurate to say that the USSR "lost" and we just kind of fumbled around blindly. I don't think the FBI was necessarily bad at their job, but the CIA's history is basically one of total incompetence. A big part of the problem is that there was a lot of top-down pressure at the CIA to focus more on sexy operations and less on actual intelligence gathering. The CIA got a lot of people killed and did a lot of damage while not accomplishing very much.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 4, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a tie with the necklacing. The only thing that would've put the pill scene over the top is if Elizabeth physically put the last four pills in the old woman's mouth and poured the water down her throat.

Maybe I'm just completely desensitized or something, but the necklacing and the suitcase didn't bother me. That scene with the old woman, though? Jesus christ. I almost couldn't make it through it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

savinhill posted:

I'm not sure that it's love motivating Martha to act the way she is right now, calculated self-preservation could also easily explain her whole "I just wanna drop it & don't care who you really are" followed by eager volunteering of FBI info Clark hadn't even thought to ask for yet.

She's also completely hosed regardless. The FBI isn't just going to say "oh, I guess you were duped, it's okay." Best case scenario is that she loses her job and can never work for the government again, probably after they force her to turn in Clark just to stay out of jail. Worst case scenario is a whole lot worse.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

withak posted:

They want someone working for them but with a 100% unimpeachable American-as-apple-pie background to be able run for CIA director (or something like that).

I don't even think it's supposed to be anything that big. They basically want to turn her into Martha, but better. Someone in a trusted position with the FBI or CIA who can pass along classified materials and other information.

• Locked thread