Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

He's already let Phil slide on the psycho stalking visit, so it wouldn't be out of character if the writers have him not wanting to turn them in for whatever reason.

I was only 8 in 1983 but I expect he just won't believe Paige, he'll assume that she's jumping to a weird conclusion or she's crazy. After all, she has absolutely no proof or evidence, just her parents' words. And even if he believed her, I think they established how liberal and neo-Christian he is that he wouldn't turn them in, because he knows that would destroy Paige even more and totally disrupt her life.

In fact, if I have any complaint about this season it's that Pastor Tim is unrealistic because I don't remember the "cool hippie Jesus church" thing until like, the late 90s. Maybe if they lived in California or something, but a Pastor in a Protestant church in Virginia being like that in 1983 doesn't track.

I don't think Nina was pointless this season simply because I'm pretty sure she's going to find a way back to America next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Family Values posted:

Oh, it so very much does track. The Jesus Freaks had been a thing since the 60s.

Well yeah, that's why I said "in Virginia". I guess proximity to DC matters and I didn't know the trend lasted into the 80s so I guess it passes the test. If Pastor Tim is based on the Jesus Freaks, though, he's probably going to want to work for Phil and Liz, not turn them in. :v:

It's also funny reading people in this thread who weren't old enough to know EST was a thing. It was actually a lot weirder than what we've seen in the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...the meetings Stan and Phil were attending? They even had a sign that said "est" on it at the front of the meeting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fetus Tree posted:

OH MY. MY BAD.

Ill try to pay more attention to 3 letters that dont actually provide context next time

Do you also need context to know what KGB, FBI, and CIA mean?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

I never heard of it and I was alive back then. Maybe it was a regional thing?

It was pretty widespread. It even made its way into the lyrics of an REM song circa 1991:

We've been through fake-a-breakdown
Self-hurt, plastics, collections
Self-help, self-pain
EST, psychics, gently caress all

e: forgot to give context for my three letter acronym. REM were an American rock band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought this was the best season, though it was also the most unsatisfying in the end because yeah, the finale was just a setup for next season.

• Locked thread