Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm fuckin' stoked.

Dragon Age 3 had an open world, but it seemed like it was only used for the most lovely of MMO style quests. What a waste. I hope they took the open world for this game down a less similar path.

TW2 was fantastic, and I can't wait to see what they brought to the table for this game...and Witcher 3 being released means that Cuberpunk 2077 is that much more closer to being released. :unsmigghh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Either way, Letho hosed poo poo up and I really hope he makes an appearance in Wild Hunt. There is literally no reason to kill him in Witcher 2 unless you really really liked Foltest.

No reason? He tried to kill you a couple times. Plot aside, that's a better motivation in the videogame than any other reason you could possibly think of.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - if it's this close to the end I doubt they'd remove animation and gameplay. Probably in addition to. Maybe it's a skill you have to buy or something.

"This isn't even our final form highest setting."

Yeah, it'll be a slap to my face alright. Keep on teasing what I'll never see even when I get the game. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I love that there are no lens flares, even when the light hits the camera.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

Haha that point of the new spell floating in the air and the guy just quickly running away. Looks pretty good for a massively downgraded game though.
Also, playing with a controller looks pretty annoying since you either have to lock on or work hard to keep the enemy in your view.

I'm a keyboard and mouse man myself, but I've never had any major issue with third person knifey games and using a gamepad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

I guess you can still accurately attack dudes by aiming with the left stick but I'd get annoyed as soon as enemies start circling around me, out of view.

What are you talking about? You just have to balance the gamepad on your leg, put your left thumb on the left stick, right thumb on the right stick for the camera, and then use your pointer and ring fingers on the face buttons while your middle finger does the right trigger.

Duh. It's like, the simplest. I call it the "Eagle Claw" position. Gamepad4lyfe

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God I hope it plays as good as it looks, and doesn't pull a Dragon Age Inquisition. It's a single player rpg, not an mmo.

:argh:

:ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What was 'dark mode'? Is that a difficulty state or just a play path, like no-kill ghosting in Dishonored?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

It's a difficulty level that includes special crafting diagrams that aren't available in the other difficulties.

Does it really add much to the gameplay? Were they balanced interestingly at all?

I'm not really much of a crafter, and the most recent game with simple crafting I played was Dragon Age 3, and all that poo poo kinda blended together into a giant boring mess after a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's a pretty dope video.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c514jP4hbJI

I don't think we've posted this one, new to me at least. (I worked on this a tiny tiny bit)

EDIT: Also the first mention I've heard of our estimated playtime, "over 100 hours". That's not marketing bs either, the game is loving huge.

"60 hours of playtime guys. That's good, right? For an rpg?"
"That's great, but marketing wants us at another 20 or higher."
"poo poo."
"-yeah."
"loving. poo poo. Okay, well, gently caress."
"Listen, we can put a few more quests down in each area, or maybe just add a couple more action trees to the current ones-"
"No-gently caress it, we don't have the money. Just...slow the walk speed down, raise the enemy alchemy collect quest amounts by 30% and then set a few more down in each zone."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 7, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still on the fence whether I should get this for PC or PS4, since my PC is quite old now and I won't be able to justify a decent upgrade in the near future.

How do the transfer of savestates work for the Witcher 3? Are we stuck with importing savegames from Witcher 2 or will it be a similar solution to the Dragon Age Keep, where you could create your own worldstates?

Unless it's changed it was still something like this:

quote:

On PC, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt can import a Witcher 2 save file to "impact your playthrough" of the third entry, but on consoles CD Projekt is taking a different approach. In a roundtable interview Level Designer Miles Tost told Joystiq that The Witcher 3 will look to simulate world states based on decisions taken in an in-game conversation.

http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/27/the-witcher-3-on-consoles-can-simulate-world-states-cant-impor/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
My entire thought process regarding Letho over the course of the game was basically, "gently caress this guy...well, okay, nah. He's pretty cool."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

The only difference between Letho and Geralt is that Letho doesn't bitch constantly when a powerful ruler takes him aside and says "You're working for me now, got it?".

Geralt's multilayered. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CitrusFrog posted:

Between this and GTAV, I'm getting the feeling that my 460 GTX is definitely about to join the choir invisible.

YOu can buy a 760 or whatever for like 200 bucks and it'll last you for years to come.

Or a 980 for Hahahahahahahahahaha gently caress you $500+ :argh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

Gonna wait and see if that video card bundle deal materializes. Or I guess I could preorder for $48 and get a cheapy $200 card...
The bundle is for over $500 cards. That's a bit rich. Each to his own, though.

Greenmangaming will have better deals for it on sale as the time approaches. I wouldn't bother preordering just yet if you're scrounging around for money.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I'm building a whole new computer because mine is dying (the HD is like 10+ years old and the rest of the equipment outside of the graphics card is 6+ years old :gonk: ). I'm debating how much I am going to sink into a graphics card.

FIgure what resolution you want to run games at. If it's less than 1900 by Y, spend less than $275, unless you REALLY want those max shadows and Occlusion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't it available for 960 (~$200) and 970 (~$300) too?

Huh, maybe. I just kinda assumed the 900 class cards were all the super expensive ones. I'm toats retarded.

drat, you're right The 960s might be the way to go for these things at this point, just in general.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the 900 series card that crashes when it loads too much into its RAM or whatever? Or they lied about hardware specs? Wasn't that the 970?

edit: yup

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 11, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

My personal favorite funny scene from Witcher 2 is in Roche's path where you take the strange hermit's drugs and see giant chickens and dick mushrooms.

I always thought the whole bar scene up to the tattoo revelation was pretty loving hilarious.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Every time I get tempted by the newer, better gfx cards I take a moment and realize I'm still running games on a monitor whose max resolution is 1680x1050.

Everything is always fantastic looking. By the time my monitor fails I'll be able to get a pretty cheap 900 series or even the next one out. Life is good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219981
That's how. It's a quick transaction.

Lycus posted:

Is there a game that does that? You lose a fight you're supposed to lose and the game continues? I feel like I have a vague memory of a fight like that.

Lots of games do that. it's not rare. Can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 11, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are the DLC's just $3.95 "Here is a new woman with completely unique animations for an all new sex scene?"

Because I would hope the game offers a semen pass then so I can grab them all on the cheap.

I know you posted all you wrote in order to write that pun, and by god, man, it was great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

That's under the min spec, mayybe skirting its line if you squint a little. The 750ti is a nice card for 120€, but it's what you use in a family PC to play Civilization V.
A GTX 960 is the lowest you should go for hard stuff.

It also depends on what resolution and quality you'll want to run it on. For instance, I run games at 1680x1050, max. And Shadows are loving dumb and never look good for their cost, so usually turn those down to low or medium.

edit: and if anyone's thinking about buying a 900 class geforce, the 970 is clearly the best performance for the money.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 21, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like it. it's a pretty highly stylized look and I think it looks neat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

So we can assume there will be at least one chopper-centric QTE scene.

*meatspin.gif*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ohhh I hope there are boat races. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Witcher is Poland-Lithuania.

btw you guys this game is really really good

If you really believe that lemme have a key and I can confirm that for everyone else in the Games' forum.

(pm me)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

Mind boggling amount of content that's actually good, sneers at DA:I comparison

...we'll see how this one turns out. I'll be loving impressed if this is the case.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Heh heh heh

In this game you will need to collect exactly 0 shards.

But will I need to collect wyvern blood or griffon feathers?

Just kidding. So long as it's engaging, I'll collect how many whatevers. It's just lovely when the collection gameplay loop is 'go here, fight four dudes, collect' over and over again with no real difference.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I've been playing for weeks and I'm like 1/4 the way through. I have skipped a good amount of side quests, so yeah I believe it.

Our sidequests are also not bullshit, despite what I know everybody must assume.

EDIT: AND I skip a lot of the dialogues because I've seen them all before. So yeah, the game is huge.

In spite of everything you've been saying I still can't help but assume this. I want to believe, Comte I really do, but...
:ohdear:

I've just never met a great open-world game. I've still preordered it, don't get me wrong; I love CDProjekt.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Open World refers to what the player can do, not how the open world systems have been implemented, be they by design or algorithmic heuristics.

you doubt me? I just cancelled your pre-order

*reported*

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 1, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"Imagine, Triss, four balls on the edge of a cliff."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Will there be any coupon winnings from gambling in W3 like there was in the second, against that one monk? :ohdear:

I really really want another GOG discount.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SenatorIvy posted:

Is it frowned upon to post in a game's thread about having a code for a game we want to trade? The steam trading thread is infinity pages long and I've got one more Witcher 3 from buying a GTX card. I've never played the series despite owning the first 2 and would much prefer somebody who wants it get it.

I'll give you THREE Easter eggs!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Was that silly estimated time to completion image in RPS' article today official? Because that's a wonderful chart.
I've been playing Witcher 2 since a few days ago and it still feels like there's lots to do, and it's really really nice. gently caress teh Wraiths, but other than that, it's great.

If W3 can get around the Dragon Age 3 issues of padding and collectothoning, then it'll most likely be the best rpg this year.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 6, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

If there aren't massive, static seagulls floating over the ocean that look like they're posing for an invisible space camera, I'm canceling my preorder now.

The seagulls will be wearing pants.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those sounds pretty grand, but I won't be finishing tW3 until late 2016 in the first place, since it's so loving big to begin with. No way in hell am I preordering these. haha.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lyer posted:

My computer's stats are in between the minimum and recommended system reqs, but I wonder if my PS4 would be the better experience.

Just turn shadows and SSAO off, and you can run the game at a higher resolution than the PS4.

I only say it because it'll be cheaper to buy on PC than a console. Greenman's preorder prices and coupons take off 12 or more dollars. But do what you want, man. Who knows?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

I thought there was a breakdown of which video cards from which retailers come with a copy of TW3 a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it. Help?

Typing Witcher 3 and nvidia into google comes up with this:
http://www.geforce.com/GetWitcher3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes because the people that make quests and environments are the same dudes that do QA and bugfixing :allears:

He's not saying before you MAKE expansions, but before you RELEASE the main game.

But, this is no different than Marvel putting out a superhero movie timeline until 2023. It gives people another chance at awareness as well as something ELSE to look forward to in the future.

This announcement won't make me preorder it, but now I know there's something else to look for if I choose to regarding this game. It's basic marketing and it hurts no one.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 8, 2015

• Locked thread