Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm in the finals of my H2H and I'm currently 5-1-1 in the pitching categories (CG is a category and I punted saves at the deadline :c00l: ), and 11-1 total.

My line?

6 W, 80 K, 2.24 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 10 QS in 84.1 innings

:feelsgood:

Now, I have Peavy currently pitching if this game happens, Kluber and Verlander that could go later today, and Conley and Shields that could pitch tomorrow. Part of me wants to just bench everyone and take the wins since he's got Severino, Burnett, Ray, Pineda, and Richards left for the week and a line 2/42/3.76/1.20/5 in ~45 IP; so he'd basically need two of those guys to throw CGSO in order to flip the script on me if I bench them, but if those guys I have all pitch poorly, he could catch me in a few cats with a good day.

The other part of me wants to rub this guy's face so loving far in it and try to get 10 W and 100 K before the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I'm getting obliterated in the finals because my 8 top 50 hitters have poo poo all over themselves to the tune of a collective .590 OPS. :gonk:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

tomorrow's going to be tense

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

WILL ONE OF THE 86 PITCHERS YOU STREAMED AGAINST ME HAVE A BAD GAME PLEASE. JUST ONE. Also, gently caress Manny Machado :colbert:

No.

You'll have to accept Ken Giles and Roberto Osuna both blowing saves. :laugh:

And Neftali Feliz. 3/3 blown saves today YESSSS!!!!

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 4, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

in 103.1 IP, and I still can throw Conley against PHI tomorrow.

:wotwot:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dandy Kaiser posted:

in 103.1 IP, and I still can throw Conley against PHI tomorrow.

:wotwot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I got 3 W and 3 QS with 31 K and 1.38/0.88 from Kluber, Verlander, Peavy, and Ventura today. I would've had him beaten in all the pitching stats by Wednesday.

Really wanted that CG.

I would feel bad but I loving hate this guy so :toot:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Rand alPaul posted:

No.

You'll have to accept Ken Giles and Roberto Osuna both blowing saves. :laugh:

And Neftali Feliz. 3/3 blown saves today YESSSS!!!!

Too bad you missed out on Tolleson.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

toe knee hand posted:

Too bad you missed out on Tolleson.

What is great is my starting rotation gave up 3 runs in 22ip and I ended up going up in ERA and WHIP thanks to closers.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Made it all the way to the final round in my league with a core of Donaldson/Cespedes/Posey but everyone on my team batting .100 for the month sure has made me go down in flames.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

welp, scherzer pretty much sealed my victory. keeper talk--pick 6 or fewer. $225, obp, slg, and qs.

definitely:
rizzo - $30
schwarber - $10
donaldson - $30
pollock - $10

potential:
justin turner - $10
conforto - $10
jp crawford - $10
stroman - $10
scherzer - $22
happ - $10
urias - $10
carrasco - $10

i absolutely loathe keeping pitchers, but i've got some potential bargains there. carrasco, especially. not sure what to make of conforto, haven't really watched him. i really, really like turner, especially considering this is an OBP league. do we know when urias will likely hit the majors?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I really should go on a bike ride or something for the next 3 hours. Otherwise I'm gonna be following like 12 games at once. :ohdear:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Braves bring in Vizcaino in a 6-0 game to protect Shelby Miller's first win in 4 months. Which probably means he won't be available to close in the 2nd game of the doubleheader.

Came into today tied in saves so that kinda sucks.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Pussy Boss posted:

Braves bring in Vizcaino in a 6-0 game to protect Shelby Miller's first win in 4 months. Which probably means he won't be available to close in the 2nd game of the doubleheader.

Came into today tied in saves so that kinda sucks.

I think you're going to win. I can't get Cueto to catch you in K's and gently caress this offense won't hit above .200

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Holy poo poo.

I'm in a points head-to-head league, and this was week 2 of our championship. I started today down 67 points but with a Danny Salazar start to go. We're basically neck and neck in time for the last few innings of these games.

A save from Familia put me up around 15 until Colorado had that 7 run 9th. I had Axford, but he had Blackmon, and so Blackmon's 2 RBI single pushing the game out of save territory was real bad for me on a couple levels (as was subsequent stolen base). I was ahead by 1.2 when Axford came into the non-save situation, which shrunk to 0.3 when Axford was facing Duffy with the bases loaded and 1 out. A strikeout and a Posey ground-out (important, because I had Posey too) later, and it seemed I'd hang on for the title, but in the territory of worrying about stat corrections.

Then I noticed ESPN was behind on the STL/ATL game, and Edwin Jackson collected a 1 out save. Jackson was in my lineup because he could be used in a SP spot I otherwise had empty. That pushes my lead to 40 and out of stat corrections territory.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 5, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This doesn't matter in Fantasy, but Ichiro pitched today :3:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

FREEDOM

here is my wonderful draft

for those not in the know, 14 teams, 7x7 with standard 5x5, OBP, SLG, K/BB, and OOBP

weas posted:

Your offense is in big big trouble. Likely 1s in RBI, SLG, HR...

Spoeank posted:

10/10 A+ Zach McAllister sleeper pick

IcePhoenix posted:

When Zach McAllister leads my team to the championship you will all be saying "how could we let him go for a dollar so early in the draft? :qq: :emo: :qq:"

:boom:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:hfive: to all my champions itt

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I got third as my team crushed it this week. :unsmith:

It doesn't completely make up for losing in a tie in the semifinals, but it'll do.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I did 8 leagues this year.

what the gently caress was I thinking? :psyduck:

at least I ended up winning 4 of them :snoop:, and came in 2nd in two others. :lesnick:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Wow. Won my fist baseball league. Two years of third place (out of 12) and now winning feels so great. Beating Poque for the third year in a row? Also great.
Finished 12R, 12RBI, 7SB, 12OPS / 12IP, 10K, 10ERA, 11WHIP in points. Credit goes to Harper and Votto offensively and getting BHam even for a bit to net me some steals. A pitching staff of good IP/WHIP guys dovetailed into enough IP to make me competitive in K's. Plus trading for Kershaw at the all star break doesn't hurt.

Can't believe I won. So many smiles.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh - Jul 2, 2015 19:28 posted:

Welp, thread - I hung in as long as I could, but when I plummeted from 5th to 9th in my AL-only, Dynasty 10 teamer last week, I decided to pack it in.

blarzgh - Jul 28, 2015 20:22 posted:

I'm out of it this year, but could possibly make a push to be in the money.

blarzgh - Aug 16, 2015 20:45 posted:

If 85% of my team breaks my way, I'll finish in the money in 3rd place. I was 9th of 10 at the all-star break.

I finished in 2nd place, and made a hard fought $200.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 5, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the goon league HGH and Centaur Paintings, the spirit of ARod was with The Castro District, owned by Pussy Boss, who bested my very own Habana Rojos for the championship.

In an unrelated note, Roberto Osuna, Ken Giles, and every closer is dead to me. Also all starting pitchers not named Zack Grienke.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

1st in one league, 2nd in another :unsmith: I've been playing with the same group of guys for 5 years now and never placed higher than 4th in either one (and 14th and 13th last season), so it's pretty cool to finally win one.

Congrats to everyone that actually managed to play all season long!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I did 8 leagues this year.

I cut back from 4 to 2 this year because 4 was too many for me to handle. Congrats on being a fantasy monster :stare:

Senf fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 5, 2015

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I just won my second championship in three years in my 16 team league, this was our 15th year. Next year will be rough as I traded away some draft picks but flags (and 600 bucks) fly forever.

I won 8-2, Machado was huge in the last week but the rest did good too, 35/14/35/5/.350.

Feels gooooood.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 5, 2015

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Senf posted:

I cut back from 4 to 2 this year because 4 was too many for me to handle. Congrats on being a fantasy monster :stare:

Yeah it was a bit much. Never again. I had to skip fantasy football this year because of it, I needed a break, kind of got burnt out on fantasy sports.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had four teams and outside the championship I already posted I had three third place finishes, which should feel great but I finished the regular season in first in three leagues and second in the other. Ah well, still pretty good.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I won my league yesterday, in strange fashion. I started the year 1-5, finished 13-6 to snag a first round bye. Then won out in the playoffs. Feels good man.

My offense carried me all year, between Donaldson/Votto/Rizzo/Pujols, I was usually in good shape. My pitching was up and down all year. By the end of the year though, my pitchers were playing well. Arrieta/Harvey/Syndergaard/Stroman carried me through the championship. I had enough FAAB to pickup one player for the championship round and I thought it would be safer to pickup an OF to replace Braun than to try and gamble on a pitcher. Well, I picked up Werth and he accumulated a massive -1 points in two weeks :suicide:. I had Braun/Kemp/Reyes barely play at all.

My opponent's offense outscored me by 80 points! Encarnacion/Machado/Correa/Altuve just dominated, but his pitching staff couldn't keep up. He had to drain his FAAB budget in the semis(which also involved dropping a few good pitchers) to make it to the finals.

Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a new trolling motor or a new hunting bow...Decisions decisions.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 5, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If you play on ESPN, go to your team page. On the bar of links where you can Add Player, Drop Player, etc, hover over "More" and click "Active Stats." It's fun to look at who helped your teams and who was a disaster.

For me: I picked up Odor after he came back up from AAA and started him for 87 games and he got me 45 R and 48 RBIs, solidifying him as a likely keeper. On the flip side, I paid for Sandoval in the draft and he only got me 17 R and 16 RBIs with a .698 OPS before I dropped his sorry rear end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

If you play on ESPN, go to your team page. On the bar of links where you can Add Player, Drop Player, etc, hover over "More" and click "Active Stats." It's fun to look at who helped your teams and who was a disaster.

Yahoo does that as well, the "Team Log" option in the My Team dropdown

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I finished in second place in FIVE LEAGUES. I hate my life. One I went 5-5 and lost because the tiebreaker was head-to-head, and timing wise i tanked that matchup (lost 9-1) so I'd get a better playoff matchup. Next year Im going to pay better attention to the fine print.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Next year I am going to do what I was told to do in the playoffs for the whole season, don't have any bench bats and just throw tons of innings for W's, K's and QS's. Is this bad?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Michael Corleone posted:

Next year I am going to do what I was told to do in the playoffs for the whole season, don't have any bench bats and just throw tons of innings for W's, K's and QS's. Is this bad?

I have like 2 bench bats and the rest pitchers.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

jabro posted:

I have like 2 bench bats and the rest pitchers.

Yes, thinking about getting a utility guy or 2, but basically will just keep 3 bats, spend all my money on bats, then hit the $1 pitchers at the end of the draft and in FA.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Michael Corleone posted:

Yes, thinking about getting a utility guy or 2, but basically will just keep 3 bats, spend all my money on bats, then hit the $1 pitchers at the end of the draft and in FA.

That's usually the strategy I go for but if a good pitcher comes up that you can get good value early don't be afraid to jump on him. Also I try to stay away from drafting rookie pitchers early because of hype. They seem to easily get arm issues and/or have innings limits. Good WW pick-ups though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

My league has a normal starting roster (no specific OF designations) with an IF slot and two UTIL. I'll usually grab a utility IF or two, or maybe a 1B/OF depending on how many I have in my starting lineup, and then I'll use the rest on pitchers. If I'm rostering more than 3 BN hitters at any point in time it's probably because something is going very wrong. I was without Hamilton for good portions of the year, and didn't start him for a good stretch either, so I was streaming OFs to match up with Braun and Belt (until they both got hurt). My OF for the last ~2 months of the season was some patchwork Cabrera/Bradley Jr./Enciarte/Revere/Pillar/Choo/Carter/Pham nonsense but it ended up working.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Michael Corleone posted:

I dropped pitchers after their last starts and picked up 2 bench bats to make up for sitting players in the finals.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 5, 2015

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IMB posted:

I finished in second place in FIVE LEAGUES. I hate my life. One I went 5-5 and lost because the tiebreaker was head-to-head, and timing wise i tanked that matchup (lost 9-1) so I'd get a better playoff matchup. Next year Im going to pay better attention to the fine print.

:lol: Karma.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

In the goon league HGH and Centaur Paintings, the spirit of ARod was with The Castro District, owned by Pussy Boss, who bested my very own Habana Rojos for the championship.

In an unrelated note, Roberto Osuna, Ken Giles, and every closer is dead to me. Also all starting pitchers not named Zack Grienke.

Hell yeah. That was a finals for the ages. I was doing OK in the batting categories until Machado went into beast mode. And after six months, everything came down to a single save. Unreal.

Love my rotation in that league. Kershaw/DeGrom/Harvey/Tanaka/Syndergaard :smugdog: And they all came through down the stretch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Michael Corleone posted:

I am going to do exactly the opposite of this.

Here's what I learned spending a year breaking all the traditional fantasy rules: It doesn't really work.

Of course, that's to be expected. If I had only tried to break one or two, I would have been okay. But I wanted a full experiment.

1. Don't pay for saves.
I took Craig Kimbrel and Aroldis Chapman and in that round, Prince Fielder, Matt Kemp, David Ortiz, Todd Frazier, Nelson Cruz, and Joey Votto went.
Then, as happens every year, undrafted relievers turned in great years: Jeurys Familia, Andrew Miller (drafted late at least) Shawn Tolleson, AJ Ramos etc. Wound up winning by about 75 saves. If I had skipped Kimbrel and Chapman, I could have still come in first.

2. Don't try to draft for wins
Figuring my relievers would keep my ratios down and my strikeout rate high (innings limit) I wanted to pick some pitchers who usually wind up near the top in wins (lol Jered Weaver) Picking Bumgarner was good, but that was a high pick. Trying to recover from those horrible duds haunted me all season. 3.60 ERA, or about that

3. Punting too many categories
In addition to not spending big on starters, I completely punted AVG to the tune of .256. The problem with picking sluggers like Chris Carter is that if they're not hitting home runs, they are absolutely useless, like this season. Mike Zunino, Jimmy Rollins, Adam Laroche. "Cheap power" I guess you get what you pay for.

Next year's strategy gimmick is loading up on lefty hitters and benching them vs LHP, positional scarcity, good middle relievers, and streaming pitchers with good matchups at home all season.

Dream lineup: (auction, so I can get them all)

C: Buster Posey (or Brian McCann)
1B: Adam Lind (awesome vs RHP splits)
2B: Dee Gordon (or Jason Kipnis)
3B: Matt Carpenter
SS: Not sure, see below
OF: Charlie Blackmon
OF: Carlos Gonzalez
OF: Curtis Granderson
OF: Joc Pederson
UT: David Ortiz
UT: Prince Fielder

I think trying to target them would leave me enough to dip in to the SP market if I wanted to. By skipping out on Trout, Donaldson, Harper, Machado, etc.

One question, though, is what do I do for SS? If adhering to my strategy, I think Cory Seager is the one to go after, but if I pay for premium, In 2016, who goes for more? Carlos Correa or Tulowitzki?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread